iPhone: iDOS 2.0.1 is available (Pulled again)

01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
iDOS 2.0.1 is available (Pulled again)

We had a fairly long thread about iDOS 1.0, but I think it might be better to open a new thread (Do let me know if this is not a good idea) because most of that discussion doesn't apply any more -- from now on iTunes file sharing is turned off.

That means you will not be able to install windows nor games from your old disc collection. However, it has quite a lot of new features to compensate for the loss:

- 6 shareware games from 3D Realms, including famous titles like wolf3d, duke1, duke2, major striker. Thanks to the virtue of good old DOS games, the app is still very small.

- A super simple game launcher. You can play games without any knowledge about dos commands. All games are properly configured, so you don't have to tweak dospad.cfg anymore. For expert users, you can still use command line to launch games and edit dospad.cfg right in app.

- Virtual gamepad/joystick. With iDOS 1.0, you may not be able to get to floor 3 in wolf3d, but now you can!

- Better landscape mode. And now iPhone has portrait mode interface.

- Bluetooth keyboard support. It is for text based games only.

iDOS is now free. Visit iDOS in AppStore.

Note:
1. For people who already own iDOS 1.0, please back up your binary
before update.
2. iDOS runs best on iPad. Minimum Requirement: iPhone 3GS or later
models.

Q: Why not submit it as a separate app?
A: First of all, if I had a better name for it, I'd definitely submit it as a new app More importantly, like many members commented on iDOS 1.0, it is not really that good to play. It is for retro gaming, so anyway we need an update to address the playability issue. You may loss the ability to upload games, but you can put your favorite ones inside before update. It's very safe that way.

I am convinced, you guys have a good point. Let's see if we can have a separate app.

Update: Now I am not sure whether you guys (v1.0 owners) still need a separate app. Do let me know.

Update 2: Last bow of iDOS

Last edited by litchie; 01-21-2011 at 11:52 PM.
04-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Terror View Post
Let me know how that works out, I'm seeing if multiple partitions of 256 is an option, I also would like to know more about mounting of ISO's, etc. Have fun!
No one? lol, ok, for those interested, I'll just leave this here:

04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Been playing around with it for most of the night, managed to copy an image of Windows 95 over to Aemula by modifying its format parameters and appending the header. Unfortunately upon trying to boot it it gives me the error "Windows does not run on MS-DOS 7.0 or Lower", which is strange because I used to boot from it in 6.22. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
iDOS 2.0.1 question -- Does anyone know if you can assign two keystrokes to the same "joystick" button? I'd like to use one button to trigger both ALT and Q (quick combat command in the AD&D gold box games).
04-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I love you Syntax Terror
Your steps works perfectly!!
You are the man!
My BIG thank you to your effort
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Syntax Terror - you forgot to boot GEOS on that Apple II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I also want to give it a try and bring some of my old classic games to my Aemula app. I started with Dune 1, for which I had to create a > 256MB image, since the game files are around 400MB. The game also loads on the phone but the music seems to lag. In addition, since the game is usually mouse-controlled, I cannot interact with the game environment. What can I do? I also got two other games (Flying Tigers and a german game called Eishockey Manager) which used to run on dosbox but do not load in Aemula. Flying Tigers leaves me with a blinking command line cursor, Eishockey Manager does start, but I cant go past the loading screen, since it requires a left click. Also the colors seems to be strange.

Last edited by Hydralisc; 04-11-2012 at 05:44 AM.
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Where did you all go? Is this project dead?
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Does it run any better on the new iPad? I got iDOS when it first came out and once the excitement wore down, it was sad realizing the worthwhile games ran horribly slow.

Playing right now: Peggle Nights, Plants vs Zombies, Death Rally, Shadow Era, Angry Birds, Anomaly Warzone Earth.
04-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
Does it run any better on the new iPad? I got iDOS when it first came out and once the excitement wore down, it was sad realizing the worthwhile games ran horribly slow.
It would help to know your definition of worthwhile games, as that is a completely subjective criteria. That said, I have access to a third gen iPad. I tried running Elder Scrolls arena on it, and after cranking up the cycles enough, it ran at the same speed as it does on my netbook (via DOSBox). That said, the controls are too demanding without being reworked for the device, IMO.
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
All I wanted was to run the original Command and Conquer.

Playing right now: Peggle Nights, Plants vs Zombies, Death Rally, Shadow Era, Angry Birds, Anomaly Warzone Earth.