Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM

So, anyone care to provide a review or gameplay critique?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
So, anyone care to provide a review or gameplay critique?
Sure.

New World Colony style presentation, so nothing too fancy on the graphics. They could probably have spent more money on artwork - some of it seems pretty detailed, and others seem a bit resolution challenged. I'm a little perturbed by "touch and hold" mechanics in order to open a selection screen, but I think that's more of a "how long do I have to hold it" preference. First tutorial game seemed pretty easy to just wipe out the enemy without really thinking it through, although that's probably intentional

I haven't quite internalized the graphics to understand what each icon represents, but I'm supposing that comes with time. Having a consistent visual style (like New World Colony does) would probably help them a lot.

I'll play a few more games and see if I have any more opinions past the tutorial
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

We'll look at the touch and hold UI and see if we can make it simpler.

On the crashes we don't see this at all so if you can give any kind of way to replicate that would be great to help us fix it. Which map exactly and at what point did it crash.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherine Iain View Post
We'll look at the touch and hold UI and see if we can make it simpler.
Cool. I'd suggest just drag and drop is good enough to decide placement, and to choose what you're building should just be "tap", instead of "tap-hold". "tap-hold" on a map tile would be wonderful to get some detailed information about the individual tile.

For graphics, I think the biggest visual jar right now is the circles aren't actually circles, and the hexes aren't actually hexes...and they're not off in the same way - the circles are stretched tall, and the hexes are stretched wide.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Disappointed tbh. Pretty much 'slay' with better looking but less functional graphics (lot harder to see what's going on than Slay).
Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I posted the long blurb before regarding positives and negatives, but since then I've really had a bad time with the game. It crashes in nearly every game on my iPad regardless of map in conquest type. Also, whether or not the game crashes, it has never saved any stats and keeps telling me it's my first game every time I start the app.

Really disappointed in it at this point, and Slay IS better. One of the first apps I'd consider asking a refund for, but it's only $2 so who cares. =P
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defard View Post
Disappointed tbh. Pretty much 'slay' with better looking but less functional graphics (lot harder to see what's going on than Slay).
The maps seem too busy. I find the units hard to distinguish.

I wish there was a 2D graphical mode option, where the pieces are just symbols. Maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

Last edited by Ravenblack; 05-03-2012 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel View Post
Also, whether or not the game crashes, it has never saved any stats and keeps telling me it's my first game every time I start the app.
I've just run into this as well...I think I had four flags on a conquest map complete, then a crash, and then no progress saved.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Hi guys

we're looking in to this as a priority. I have no idea right now why we're seeing the crashes. Maybe there is some sort of memory leak that builds up over time. We're working on it and will have a fix ASAP.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Good but crashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherine Iain View Post
Hi guys

we're looking in to this as a priority. I have no idea right now why we're seeing the crashes. Maybe there is some sort of memory leak that builds up over time. We're working on it and will have a fix ASAP.
First, I too am having crashes, very frequently. I'm not sure how to help you track them down? I have a 3rd generation ipad, and like another poster, it keeps losing my progress and thinking it's the first time I've played. It also bombs out of games, and not always when I'm far into a match. Sometimes it's pretty near the beginning.

Hopefully you can get this sorted out. I like the game quite a bit otherwise, it's a perfect little beer n pretzels strategy game. I do agree changing the UI for switching between units you're going to place would be great, I'm not fond of the 'hold and wait' approach - what about a swipe to rotate between available units/structures, and drag to place them?

Anyway good luck getting it patched up.