Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I don't even own this game, so it doesn't effect me but there is a bigger issue here as already mentioned. What if other devs decide on pulling their game??

I'm not even talking about Online games. What if, in a couple years EA decides they don't want to support their iOS version of Dead space?? This game is so awesome. I can see myself picking this up in a couple of years for a random play. The same can be said for a few classic games like COD zombies, Modern combat 2, Nova, etc....

I really hope this doesn't become a trend because this could effect buying in the app market.

Last edited by Johnny101; 05-02-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

I definitely think that's going to happen. You have to consider the number of people who are into collecting these "classic" games are the absolute smallest minority. For upwards of... I'd go as far as 95%+, probably even higher, mobile games are highly disposable. I mean, multiple analytics providers have released reports over the years showing just how few times people typically launch the apps they buy and how that trails off to zero very quickly.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Seeing how Rock Band hasn't been updated since November 2010, does this mean a killswitch was already included for a while now? Unless they plan on updating it May 31st to make it unplayable.

Makes you wonder what other games have a killswitch ready.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Don't have the iOS version of Rock Band, but do find it a little strange that a non-online game could be "shut down".

I can see the Eliminate situation where you have to run actual servers and as gameplay and sales dwindle to support it, well, then it goes away.

But how in the world did they code Rock Band to die on a certain day? Just has me curious more than anything as to why it suddenly will be rendered unplayable.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Don't have the game but I think this is pretty rotten. If they want to shut down multiplayer servers fine, that happens...but if they are somehow preventing people from playing the single player that is messed up. I will still have Rock Band for Xbox, that I will be able to play years from now...they can't come and steal my game disc from me. But apparently it's ok to do that to iOS users? Ummm no! Just because it's old doesn't make that ok. Quite unethical if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny101 View Post
I don't even own this game, so it doesn't effect me but there is a bigger issue here as already mentioned. What if other devs decide on pulling their game??

I'm not even talking about Online games. What if, in a couple years EA decides they don't want to support their iOS version of Dead space?? This game is so awesome. I can see myself picking this up in a couple of years for a random play. The same can be said for a few classic games like COD zombies, Modern combat 2, Nova, etc....

I really hope this doesn't become a trend because this could effect buying in the app market.
That basically did happen to those of us who bought COD Zombies II(The version where only a different map was available rather than the default for the regular version). Activision pulled that and it doesn't even function if I remember correctly.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I just can't wrap my head around how Ea thinks this will benefit them as far as I know nobody else has ever used a kill switch on an offline game and Rock Band was one of the first games to start the whole multiple DLC thing.

Surely they just scared away future money.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...ios-after-all/

/damagecontrol
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
If you read the EULA of basically any software, things are worded in a tricky way. Even though you might own the Windows discs, you don't technically own Windows. What you bought is the rights from Microsoft to use Windows. Nearly every EULA also has provisions for revoking those rights, no one ever does, because it's pretty shitty... But you'd be surprised the kind of things you're agreeing to by using nearly any piece of computer software and playing any video game.

I think that's the bigger issue here, but no one will ever care because it's just too easy to hit accept, ok, or whatever else the button says.

Well, I know the problem - especially with the EULAs - but I also assume that you know what I wanted to say.
Heck, I still have my Windows95-CD! - Microsoft isn't supporting the system anymore, but I still could use it if I want to.

Don't underestimate - I am reading some EULAs now and then (and especially the Steam-EULA shocked me until today), but in the end, what can I do? "Eat or die" is it. If there are alternatives, ok. But when I really want to use an Apple product and sign the EULA, I also have to live with the consequences. If I want to play a Steam-exclusive game, I have to swallow the EULA, even if I don't agree with it.

I can't speak for other people, but personally I don't care about RockBand anymore. I had my 2-3 months of fun with it and let it rest in peace now. I don't think I will play it ever again.

Oh, and "kaput" is spelled with two "t"' - kaputt.
I always wonder why it's often spelled with one "t" outside of Germany.

Last edited by Vovin; 05-03-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Good for EA,

I swear they must read these forums among, others. The power of the media, and writing in a public forum will really motivate Developers to make changes.

I believe our opinions definately made EA think twice about putting the Kill switch on this game. Our opinions do matter.