Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
Never heard of it. Im on the fence (I hate that I care about graphics, but I do care about graphics in some cases). But I am leaning towards trying it based on all the good feedback. (No I havent tried the other one either to compare it to)
Yeah, I was pretty much the same at the start. I wasn't one who previously enjoyed so called "old-school" games. There is a free demo you can try on PC and Mac. That's how I got into it. Personally, I found the more I played, the less I cared about the graphics. It can be... absorbing.

...having an active imagination helps though. The writing is sometimes like playing a tabletop RPG.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

For those of you who are on the fence, check out the Windows/Mac demos here: http://www.avernum.com/avernum/

You can also find a bunch of reviews for the Win/Mac versions with google if you want to read more.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
For those of you who are on the fence, check out the Windows/Mac demos here: http://www.avernum.com/avernum/

You can also find a bunch of reviews for the Win/Mac versions with google if you want to read more.
Thanks for the link, will check out later
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

this is a must have game for ipad! congrats guys!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 PM

I decided to give this a go and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't get Avadon or play any previous incarnation of Avernum but this seems like a great old school PC western-style RPG. I really like the setting, the play system is simple and yet seems to have plenty of room to expand and play with my character choices.

The writing is fairly straight forward but the world seems pretty rich so this isn't a problem. The graphics are pretty good and do the job nicely. And the control generally works well, with my only issue being finding where to tap when upgrading stats on a level up (got it eventually, it was to the left of the plus rather than on it).

If this continues this good, I'll go for Avadon after it.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM

Well I've been playing quite a bit of this now and I'm loving it. There is so much to it, it feels really vast and the feel of the world is great. It was initially a little overwhelming to be honest but the quest list really helps there, providing clarity when you want it. Loads to explore and discover.

The writing is quite simple, as I mentioned above, and this actually works quite well because for a large part it keeps morality out of it and lets you decide how you want to interpret events. Like, I have cleared a few places out and been rewarded for it and yet there is a part of me that just isn't sure I should have done that.

Anyway, so far this is really good and I very much hope the other Avernum games make it to the iPad too.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Okay, I've finally attained level 30 for my characters and also completed two of the three main quests in Avernum (according to the narrative in the game).

*** Possible Spoilers Below ***
•••Spoiler:   I've destroyed a specific demon and also reached the surface. I decided to stay in Avernum since it stated I had one main quest left. I spoke with Erika and informed the Scimitar but who do I speak with to learn of the final main quest?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 AM

Bought this game as I needed a deep, turn-based RPG on my new iPad. However, the game has no damn screen flip! Am I the only one totally annoyed by this?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

What do you mean? Mine flips when I turn my iPad around.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
What do you mean? Mine flips when I turn my iPad around.
DOH, my orientation was locked! Thanks for the sanity check.