Support our Sponsors:
View Poll Results: Free Vs. Lite
Free is great 7 25.93%
Lite sounds better 3 11.11%
I wouldn't download either 6 22.22%
They're both the same to me 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
CharredDirt CharredDirt is offline
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 175
Default Free Vs. Lite

I'm curious, if a game has free or lite in the title in the appstore, which of them are you more likely to download. Or are they both a turnoff?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Andre Andre is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,790
Default

I don't like these style. Free game takes me lost money to purchase, and the Lite game is too short. This means that it takes me inhibited. >"<
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
LOLavi LOLavi is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I don't like these style. Free game takes me lost money to purchase, and the Lite game is too short. This means that it takes me inhibited. >"<
I think he means he needs help deciding wether to add free or lite to his TRIAL version of a game. Am I right dev?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
kujen kujen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 167
Default

Depends on whether it is the only version of the game or not.

Lite makes me think of a trial version...so I know it won't be a full game just something I download to try it out, and buy the full version if I like it.

If it says free it may or may not be a trial version...but often they are packed with ads that popup during my game that I accidentally click on (annoying).

If it is free game with IAP (freemium), I would expect it to say neither lite nor free in the title. But if it says neither, yet has tons of ads popping up in it...then I would be annoyed.

So in short, if it is a trial I think of Lite. If it is ad supported I think of Free. Otherwise don't put either of those.

Last edited by kujen; 05-04-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
pavarotti2007 pavarotti2007 is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujen View Post
So in short, if it is a trial I think of Lite. If it is ad supported I think of Free. Otherwise don't put either of those.
I agree with this exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Bhoy Bhoy is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Free sounds better in my opinion; as long as its not sprawled all over the app icon.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
LOLavi LOLavi is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
I agree with this exactly.
Me too although some games really use free as trial version tag, but yeah, often it means ads.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

I definately think Lite should be used for trials and Free only for either ad-supported or freemium games if at all. Lite definately implies that it is indeed a trial of a full version. Free is not very clear.

Personally, I don't like when developer use 'free' because of how it can be misinterpretted.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM
CharredDirt CharredDirt is offline
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I think he means he needs help deciding wether to add free or lite to his TRIAL version of a game. Am I right dev?
I'm guessing you're directing this at me since I'm the only one here with a Dev title. You would be correct, I am trying to get some feedback as to how people feel about free and lite versions for when I release my game.


Second question, for a "Lite" or trial version, how much gameplay do you guys expect. I was planning on letting people play through the first area (out of 5). And then bringing the user to the ad screen for the full game. Should i throw in an endless mode to keep people playing as a bonus?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM
LOLavi LOLavi is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredDirt View Post
I'm guessing you're directing this at me since I'm the only one here with a Dev title. You would be correct, I am trying to get some feedback as to how people feel about free and lite versions for when I release my game.


Second question, for a "Lite" or trial version, how much gameplay do you guys expect. I was planning on letting people play through the first area (out of 5). And then bringing the user to the ad screen for the full game. Should i throw in an endless mode to keep people playing as a bonus?
Well the first area is fine. Lite should not cover too much of the full game, but it shouldn't just be tutorials, it should also have a little bit more levels so people can decide better. Just look at CtR. It has lots of levels, but so does the lite. The lite version has 30 levels, plenty of time to make up your mind.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent