★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Free Vs. Lite

View Poll Results: Free Vs. Lite
Free is great 7 25.93%
Lite sounds better 3 11.11%
I wouldn't download either 6 22.22%
They're both the same to me 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Free Vs. Lite

I'm curious, if a game has free or lite in the title in the appstore, which of them are you more likely to download. Or are they both a turnoff?
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't like these style. Free game takes me lost money to purchase, and the Lite game is too short. This means that it takes me inhibited. >"<

05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I don't like these style. Free game takes me lost money to purchase, and the Lite game is too short. This means that it takes me inhibited. >"<
I think he means he needs help deciding wether to add free or lite to his TRIAL version of a game. Am I right dev?

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Depends on whether it is the only version of the game or not.

Lite makes me think of a trial version...so I know it won't be a full game just something I download to try it out, and buy the full version if I like it.

If it says free it may or may not be a trial version...but often they are packed with ads that popup during my game that I accidentally click on (annoying).

If it is free game with IAP (freemium), I would expect it to say neither lite nor free in the title. But if it says neither, yet has tons of ads popping up in it...then I would be annoyed.

So in short, if it is a trial I think of Lite. If it is ad supported I think of Free. Otherwise don't put either of those.

Last edited by kujen; 05-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.
05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujen View Post
So in short, if it is a trial I think of Lite. If it is ad supported I think of Free. Otherwise don't put either of those.
I agree with this exactly.

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106
05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Free sounds better in my opinion; as long as its not sprawled all over the app icon.
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
I agree with this exactly.
Me too although some games really use free as trial version tag, but yeah, often it means ads.

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I definately think Lite should be used for trials and Free only for either ad-supported or freemium games if at all. Lite definately implies that it is indeed a trial of a full version. Free is not very clear.

Personally, I don't like when developer use 'free' because of how it can be misinterpretted.
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I think he means he needs help deciding wether to add free or lite to his TRIAL version of a game. Am I right dev?
I'm guessing you're directing this at me since I'm the only one here with a Dev title. You would be correct, I am trying to get some feedback as to how people feel about free and lite versions for when I release my game.

Second question, for a "Lite" or trial version, how much gameplay do you guys expect. I was planning on letting people play through the first area (out of 5). And then bringing the user to the ad screen for the full game. Should i throw in an endless mode to keep people playing as a bonus?
05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredDirt View Post
I'm guessing you're directing this at me since I'm the only one here with a Dev title. You would be correct, I am trying to get some feedback as to how people feel about free and lite versions for when I release my game.

Second question, for a "Lite" or trial version, how much gameplay do you guys expect. I was planning on letting people play through the first area (out of 5). And then bringing the user to the ad screen for the full game. Should i throw in an endless mode to keep people playing as a bonus?
Well the first area is fine. Lite should not cover too much of the full game, but it shouldn't just be tutorials, it should also have a little bit more levels so people can decide better. Just look at CtR. It has lots of levels, but so does the lite. The lite version has 30 levels, plenty of time to make up your mind.