Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeOfPoseidon View Post
One suggestion to the developer for the next update - please include the ability to zoom in on things, particularly the cards, chits, tokens. For instance, it's hard to read the iconography on the ice giant cards when they are in play, as well as read what's on the Ragnarok/Angry Enemy Cards for when you're trying to add cards for a higher difficulty. A double tap zoom would go a long way towards fixing that.
And while they are at it, why dont make this app universal? I secretly hoped this will be the case before release. I'd gladly play it on the iphone when I dont have the ipad on me.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Anyone know what cheat mode does?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
Anyone know what cheat mode does?
It tells you how many fire trolls and Vikings are in the different islands. That's what the numbers under the different islands refer to.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Can anyone comment on the graphics on the retina screen? I was looking forward to the release since I've been keeping track of it on BGG but I could have sworn it said something about high resolution graphics
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

I finally got around to firing this up and it is a blast of icy Nordic winds (in a good way)!

While there is a lot going on in the game and I failed miserably in my first attempt, I think it might even be easier than say Elder Sign: Omens to grasp.

The time of Ragnarök is nearly upon us and it is up to your band of 1-5 chosen gods to hold Loki and crew back from reaching Odin's Palace. Each god has his own neat way of bending the game's basic rules in their favor BUT playing a game with more than 1 god just means the threat will advance that much quicker as the enemies advance each gods' turn.

At the start of each turn the top card of the baddies is flipped face up. The card indicates which of the game's 6 baddies advances a space toward Odin's Palace. Besides simply advancing a space the baddy will trigger their specific effect (i.e. Loki will summon forth some frost giants, Hel will send some vikings to Norse Heck, etc.). To make things worse, the strength of the baddy's nasty effect is modified by how far down the track they are, so while initially Loki can only summon 1 frost giant when activated, if you let him weasel his way too far down the line, he might end up summoning up to 3 of those twits at a time.

So your absolute primary responsibility is keeping the baddies from advancing down the track and to do this means battling them head-on. To battle one of these Super 6, you designate which one you are attacking, decide how many of your available viking you'll commit to the battle (each of them adds a one time use +1 to your roll), note the bonuses gained from artifacts on your active god you've forged specifically for this opponent, and roll your special die (with possible results of 0-3). If the combined value beats or ties with that baddy's defense value you'll push the baddy back a space otherwise nothing happens other than whatever vikings you committed will be lost. If only a few short you can always bring in some of your available elves which let you modify things just like the vikings but AFTER the die is rolled.

"Hold on, Gek", you say, "this is only 1 of some possible 9 actions in the game, right?" You bet it is but I see the other 8 actions more as crucial support activities like recruiting vikings/elves, building artifacts, or fighting off Loki's summoned frost giants. Each of these nameless frost giants will either lock out your access to some type of game action in the game or grant one of the big 6 some additional power. Like one frost giant in my last game locked out my ability to roll a dice in battle, so if I wanted to be able to get the 0-3 bonus per battle the die represents, I had to bring over enough vikings to defeat that frost giant without help from the die.

Another big aspect of the game is found in island management. The key to winning battles in this game is having bunches of vikings on hand. To do this you spend an action of having your Valkyries recruit warriors from one of the game's islands. The catch is that all of these islands are teaming with fire giants as well. When a Valkyrie recruits from a given island they draw a number random tiles from a bag, if they draw a viking they get a recruit but if they draw a fire giant it's just a wasted draw. A couple of your possible actions in the game entail increasing the population of vikings and or reducing the fire giant population on an island for future recruiting runs.

Gotta go, hope this gave you a glimpse of the game mechanics, though!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Been playing this allllll day.

I'm liking it a lot.

Slightly typo strewn, as it is translated from French ... and at first the gameplay seems totally incomprehensible, but after a couple games it is pretty easy to pick up.
Tutorial ain't great but the full rules are there and an always available help button explains all the areas of the board anytime you need a reminder.

Attractive presentation that seems to be a fairly faithful recration of the physical game with not a lot of flourishes...for the most part pretty static except when it's time to make dice rolls.
Only plays in Portrait.

Lotsa choices to ponder per round with none necessarily always being the obviously "best" one.
Difficulty scales real well with adjusting the cards and characters used in game, and it presents a really good challenge level.

Dice rolls make chance a big factor - but you can limit that quite a bit by supplementing your rolls with bonuses.
Then the enemy card draws make every game play out slightly different than the last.

There's a very strong sense of urgency as the final turns play out trying to beat back the baddies on the board making it one you don't wanna put down...then you wanna jump right back into for payback when you get beat down.

The solitaire play is GREAT, imo.
Almost feels built for it and not like a concession to allow solo games.

I'd definitely rec checking it out if it looks interesting to you, if you enjoy board games, and assuming $6 won't break you.

Back to more !

Last edited by sladeums; 05-05-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Nice game. Plays just as well as the boardgame so far. Please change all spellings of "ennemies" to enemies. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

While not entirely sure, am I right in assuming your end game score is simply the difficulty of your chosen setup? Like if I manage to hold off the baddies and win in a game rated at 16 difficulty I would have a highscore of 16 points?

Kind of like you're playing "Name that Tune"?

Contestant: Bob, I think I can beat this game at a 48 difficulty.
Bob: Okay, then prove it!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While not entirely sure, am I right in assuming your end game score is simply the difficulty of your chosen setup? Like if I manage to hold off the baddies and win in a game rated at 16 difficulty I would have a highscore of 16 points?

Kind of like you're playing "Name that Tune"?

Contestant: Bob, I think I can beat this game at a 48 difficulty.
Bob: Okay, then prove it!
Anne-Cécile posted this explanation on scoring over on BGG :

Quote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9096661#9096661
Hi!

I am happy that you enjoy the game!

Here is the info you need:
You score points in two ways in the game:
- First, the value of the difficulty level you choose at the beginning (by choosing the number of played Gods and the Angry enemy cards and the Ragnarök cards).
- Secondly the moves of the enemies when you win the game:
The worst way to win a game is when the enemies have moved forward 24 steps all in all. Thus for each step below this limit, you score 3 points. For instance, if all the enemies have moved 20 steps all in all at the end of the game, you score 12 points.

When you add those two numbers, you get your score.

No point comes from the giants you kill or the vikings you still have at the end of the game.
Hope that helps you ;-)

Anne-Cécile
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeums View Post
Anne-Cécile posted this explanation on scoring over on BGG :
Okay, much better than I initially thought and nicely elegant.

How far you keep them downwind is the real important thing and the extra added challenges you were willing to accept in the setup are a little bonus to your final score if you win. I really like how remaining vikings and defeated frost giants aren't counted as I could see something like a player loading up on vikings say right before the end JUST to boost his score.