Turned based RPG's

05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
hey

While BG2 and Planescape are excellent games and Planescape certainly in my top 3 favorites evar, they never felt properly turn-based to me. Technically I know you can make it autopause at the end of a round, but the reason they always felt less turn-based to me than something like fallout is because you click to specify movement and the distance you can move is some continuous movement rate over time thing. You can estimate pretty accurately how far your guy can move in a round, but I never know exactly, whereas the kinds of games I see as being "real" turn based measure movement in discrete # of steps (e.g. fallout, spiderweb games).

Every profession produces its own best.
05-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Definately go with Crimson Gem Saga. Very high production value and... uhm... 50+ hrs gameplay, iirc.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 05-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.

05-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloko View Post
Oh yeah, highly highly recommend this game! Had a FFX feel to it but obviously not as big a project. Probably my favourite turn based game I've played on the iOS but I forgot about it after clearing some space off my phone the other day.

Last edited by Muz333; 05-08-2012 at 05:16 AM.
05-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks for this per usual UDC! I seem to alway blow 4 bucks everytime i see your "lists" lol

TESTING!-Most APPSASIA apps ...if your a dev hit me up and ill help.
*Member of the BETA TESTER ALLIANCE
MY PAST BETA LIST..
05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Definately go with Crimson Gem Saga. Very high production value and... uhm... 50+ hrs gameplay, iirc.
Rumor is that CGS is crashing on iOS 5.
05-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone, this should keep me busy for a while!
05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anolin View Post
Thanks everyone, this should keep me busy for a while!
And when that time has passed, do peek a sneak at The War of Eustrath, Wasted Lands and Time of Heroes. While none of these games are RPGs primarily, much like Final Fantasy Tactics they constitute a rather even mix of RPG and turn-based tactical elements, making them RPG/TBS hybrids. Still enough RPG to satisfy my escapist urges

The Pantheon Cycle is perhaps a bit less polished and well-designed, particularly lacking in the available options and possible strategies in battle, but offers enough story, playtime and RPG elements to still be an interesting gaming experience, at least during the short time I spent with the game.

(I suppose Dungeon Crawlers, Saturday Morning RPG and Battleloot all qualify for the turn-based RPG moniker as well, and possibly even Adventure Bar Story, but I found all four thoroughly disappointing in almost every way imaginable.)

But yeah, to reiterate upon Muz333's point: Final Fantasy Tactics, above all, even though the game is as much a turn-based strategy title as an RPG.

Ravenmark doesn't feature any actual RPG elements, but is one of the best and most polished games for iOS, and one of the most sophisticated TBS games for any platform, and thus very well worth your time and money, unless you detest the genre.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I remember searching around 3 or so years ago when I first got an iTouch for an RPG to play and was so disappointed. Gave up the search permanently until I stumbled across undeadcow's list and have no idea where to begin...it's wonderful.
05-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev1 View Post
Thanks for this per usual UDC! I seem to alway blow 4 bucks everytime i see your "lists" lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negibozu View Post
I remember searching around 3 or so years ago when I first got an iTouch for an RPG to play and was so disappointed. Gave up the search permanently until I stumbled across undeadcow's list and have no idea where to begin...it's wonderful.
Thanks, this makes me to update my list. I am grateful to B34$t's dual stick shooter list and rpg-site.org for inspiration.
05-17-2012, 08:05 PM