• Publisher: Slitherine
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 255.8 MB
  • Version: 2.70
  • Price: $19.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.8 (5)
App description: Number#1 Strategy game in 42 stores. For 24/7 tech support and updates visit www.slitherine.com/forum

* PocketTactics 5 out of 5 - In price, content, and execution, Battle Academy is a proud game from another time. And worth every penny.
* DigitallyDownloaded.net 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Really, when you buy this game, youre buying into the excellent, competitive, online environment, and it looks like a healthy community at this stage.
* NoHighScores youd be hard pressed to find a richer, more satisfying turn-based wargame on the platform.
* TouchGen 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Battle Academy is a welcoming but challenging experience.
* StrategyPrime 4.5 out of 5 Stars - Probably one of the finest strategy games you can find on the iPad just about now, and definitely a must-have.
* FortressAT Battle Academy isa real game, a proper game
* Esquire - this is the best game weve played yet on the iPad.
* Plughead.net 82% - A proper wargame! On the iPad!
* PCDome.hu the ideal tactical casual wargame for iPad.
* SlideToPlay 3 out of 4 - for those of you who are willing to take the challenge, youll encounter a highly engaging, absorbing and lengthy experience the likes of which has rarely been seen on iOS.
* BoardGameGeek 3 of 4 Stars - Hands down this is the most impressive war game yet on the platform.

Description

Approachable, absorbing and visually impressive yet detailed, Battle Academy aims to revolutionise the strategy games market with a blend of intuitive design and compelling game play driven by cutting edge technical innovation.

Inspired by an original online game concept devised by the BBC, the game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive.

The team at Slitherine worked with Professor John Buckley, Military Historian at the University of Wolverhampton and a keen wargamer himself, to make sure that the strategy, tactics, scenarios and available firepower of the battles fought in WW2 were turned into realistic AI behaviour, powering expertly crafted battles.

The revolutionary server-based PBEM++ Slitherine system completes the package, for a gaming experience that will certainly please both hard core wargamers and newcomers. This revolutionary system allows iPad, Mac and PC players to play against each other, and even allows you to play 1 turn on your PC at home, continue the same game on the iPad on the train to work and play a turn at work on your Mac, all without you having to do a thing - the server handles it all!

Features

Control British, US, Polish, Canadian forces in 3 epic campaigns covering more than 30 varied battles or take control of Italian and German forces in multiplayer.

Select from a vast array of equipment including 100 units from 6 nations - Shermans, Fireflys, Panthers, Tigers, Stukas, Hurricanes, P47s and much more!

Gameplay features include ambushes, line of sight, artillery barrages, airstrikes, scouts, morale, APCs, flame throwers, heavy bombers, snipers and suppression.

Your units gain experience as they fight. Get promoted to Veteran and Elite status and gain new skills.

Addictive multiplayer modes using Slitherines revolutionary multiplayer server thats linked into an online ranking system.

Werechihuahua's comments:
What a pleasant surprise! The folks at Slitherine have ported the outstanding wargame Battle Academy to iOS and the iPad version turned up on the app store today. I love this game on PC and have been playing it, and the expansion packs for a long time. I hope you can give it some love in the review category, and someone who is wise in the ways of forums will do a proper post . (sanuku?)

This is a full on, everything included version of the PC game. Nothing has been taken out, or stripped down to put it on iPad and it plays great with a touch interface...

05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
That exactly what I needed (I thought I had looked, but obviously not hard enough)

I will also try looking again for the other campaigns that you can buy, as I'm seriously tempted buying those as well.

Many, many thanks GiHubb
05-14-2012, 01:30 AM
This discussion isn't linked properly in the TouchArcade app. Should be fixed.

05-14-2012, 05:49 AM
How does one go about fixing that - is it something I need to do because I started the thread? Or something TA need to do?
05-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherine Iain View Post
How does one go about fixing that - is it something I need to do because I started the thread? Or something TA need to do?
I dunno... I just noticed it, maybe if you send them an email...
05-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Ok tried that - but so far not had any replies to any of my mails to Touch Arcade.
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
For most of the Africa campaign I breezed through the missions. Having better tanks than your opponents is really powerful, and I got the hang of using suppressing fire to good effect over the course of several battles. All in all, I was very much enjoying what appeared to be one of the best wargames on the iPad.

Then, on Sunday night I embarked on the last battle of the Africa campaign. I had no idea what I was in for. Things went south fast as I scouted the fortified hill - I lost two of my four Shermans to that pack of '88s on the hill, which blasted the crap out of two Hurricanes that tried to suppress them.

The next hour of my life was spent in a full-on infantry assault against the fortified position on that hill. It turned into a hard, nasty slog. When I finally broke through and my squads assaulted that last gun, I had a new respect for infantry and for this game. It gave me an experience that I rarely see out of games in general, and proved to be a visceral and epic challenge.

I'm looking forward to more of that as I continue into the Normandy campaign, and I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for making this game for the iPad. I'm also looking forward to the Medieval battles game you guys are working on, and I've gone to your website and checked out several of your other titles, several of which would be really cool to bring to this platform. Slitherine has become one of my favorite developers, and I'll be watching your future offerings eagerly.
05-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Question on mission setup:

I've been playing BA quite a bit lately, and I think it's excellent. I do have one question though, on certain missions I am expected to pick my troop configuration before seeing the map and objectives. That feels very backward to me. In military engagements, you usually get to see the map and objectives first, and then you decide on troops. What is the rationale for the current implementation?

--DotComCTO
05-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback and glad you are enjoying the game.

On the scale we are looking at you were allocated a force and had to deal with whatever you came up against. Giving you any form of selection is probably too much freedom and unrealistic but players like it.

We have had a number of people ask for the mission briefing before the force selection and it might be possible but requires some reworking of the structure. Is it just the briefing image you want to see or you actually want to be able to look at the map and go back to force selection.
05-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Well, I like the pre-briefing force selection as it is. It makes the scenarios feel more replayable as you are never quite sure of the situation & geographics and compels you to try different setups instead of optimized one.

Just felt the need to say my opinion. Thanks Slitherine for reviving my interest in computer war gaming with BA, Panzer Corps and Field of Glory! All different games but hit just the sweet spot between complexity and playability for me. Hope to see PG and FoG on iPad too someday soon.
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherine Iain View Post
We have had a number of people ask for the mission briefing before the force selection and it might be possible but requires some reworking of the structure. Is it just the briefing image you want to see or you actually want to be able to look at the map and go back to force selection.
Thanks Iain. Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of map along with the objectives so I know what I'm supposed to be doing. While it would be great to see the initial map & visible enemy units, I don't think that's quite necessary - especially if it necessitates refactoring any of the code. Frankly, I'd rather see the effort put toward getting more games to iOS faster to market!

Thanks again for listening! I think it's great that you guys frequent these forums and talk to your customers one-on-one. That makes me want to support Slitherine even more!

--DotComCTO