★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Download the @FreeAppADay.com Store App and wish for more top rated apps like Strikefleet Omega to be featured on FAAD!

Strikefleet Omega may very well be the best strategy game available for phones and tablets right now. - EGM

It's a must-download for anyone who enjoys games that require fast reflexes and quick thinking, or just wants to have a blast while making sure humanity sticks around for a while. - Gamezebo

From Harebrained Schemes, creators of Apple's Benchmark Game of 2011, CRIMSON STEAM PIRATES, comes STRIKEFLEET OMEGA!

*** Earths finest fleet, Humanitys final hour. ***

Earth has been destroyed by the Hive Queen and her Brood and you command Humanity's last defender, Strikefleet Omega. As Omega's Admiral, you are charged with a desperate mission--find the Queen and stop her before she obliterates our remaining colonies.

Warping from star system to star system in your search, Strikefleet Omega struggles to survive wave after wave of enemy attacks while mining precious crystals that allow you to warp in reinforcements from the last remaining shipyard in the Armada.

Warp in reinforcements such as:

Starfighter Carriers launch fighter squadrons you control with a drag of your finger
Artillery Gunships fire devastating area-effect salvos with just a tap
Advanced Mining ships gather warp crystals faster and more efficiently
Bomber Carriers launch bomber groups to assault huge alien capital ships
Particle Projection Cannons destroy anything touched by the target line you drag

And a many, many moreincluding the devastating Death Blossom, which unleashes the full power of your command ship, destroying entire waves of enemies at once!

Join the Armada and take your place as the Admiral of Strikefleet Omega!

Epic space combat awaits!

Humanity depends on you!

Sanuku's comments:

05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Looks stunning and a good pedigree too, downloading now.

Games that will never leave my iPad : Great Big Wargame, Battle Academy, Battle of the Bulge, Ravenmark and Hunters 2.

05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
It's quite good. It does bear similarity with flight control as you shepard your fighters toward enemy incoming. You can buy more capital ships with"alloy", this is earned during combat, after mission rewards and it's farmable too. I'm only five missions in so cannot tell how farming works yet and if it garners enough alloy to avoid IAP.

And the IAP could be the deal breaker for some. Alloy can be bought in packs. It gives a permanent upgrade to your ships and gives them new abilities. I do not know if you can get enough alloy to avoid paying for it in future, each upgrade raises the price of the next exponentially. There are also "mega credits", these can be used to buy perks (xp boost, better fighters) but they are also consumable. You will not be able to carry them through to the next mission. You do however get a free perk per mission, I do not think them completely necessary. Mega credits can also be used to set off a mega weapon that kills everything on screen (think The Last Starfighter), I just hope this does not become essential for progress later on.

My other concern is its lastability, it's a looker but the gameplay is simple. However, I only have two types of ship at the moment and have seen no enemy battleships. If these spice up the gameplay enough things good be very good indeed.

Games that will never leave my iPad : Great Big Wargame, Battle Academy, Battle of the Bulge, Ravenmark and Hunters 2.

Last edited by devensega; 05-12-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Autocorrect :/
05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Finally ! a touch-RTS that smells like Homeworld. A LOT. and the gameplay la flight control is a perfect choice, it really gives the feeling of controlling a fleet. congrats to the devs !
05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Alloy? Mega credits? Invest my time before even knowing how much money it will cost me eventually? No thanks. A shame too since it looks decent.
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6waves Lolapps
Earth has been destroyed by the Hive Queen and her Brood
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Dangnabbit, that Hive Queen and her Brood sure are persistant buggers, not even content to terrorize Earth in just one single gaming universe...
LOL... Ive been wondering about that too. Even on previous games on a different format.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I have to agree. The game is really good: it take simple gameplay mechanic and keeps it interesting by building upon it. The story (a mash-up of Spaceship Yamato and Battlestar Galactica) is fantastic, but the IAP implementation is both pervasive and relentless. The Megacredit model soon becomes all but inescapable, since there is no clear way to earn them in-game and they are required to purchase many of the ships in the roster (not to mention using perks and mega blasts).

For me, the experience is best exemplified by a situation in one of the early missions: you find yourself in a hopeless spot, completely outgunned, when suddenly a new character pops in and yells at you to use your mega-weapon. Before you realize what you are doing, you've used up 4 (I think) of your precious free mega credits. Personally I find that pretty much a reprehensible use of the IAP model.

It's too bad, since the core game is excellent.
thanks for all that... was REALLY hoping this one would be decent...

but I guess I won't even get into it if it's that bad. I don't want to get sucked in and then disappointed.

Damn...

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Repulze, Ravenmark: SOE, Cordy, Incoboto Mini, One Epic Knight, Cardinal Quest 2
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, it seems Mega Credits do become more important as you get deeper in to the game. While not essential I think you may find it much harder without some of the perks on offer. The extra ships that need MC just seem to be ramped up versions of existent ones. With one exception, the artillery ship gets a completely different weapon than its alloy only counterpart

If you hate IAP avoid.....I don't see why devs can't release both free to play and paid versions of a game, much like lite and full versions.