Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

My Gamecenter name is Zemar just like my username here on TA.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 AM

The unlocks are really just a case of 'how many coins do you want' with the full feature set. I thought the wording was fairly clear.

Basically if you arent fussed about single player tournaments, 69p is not exactly expensive for online etc. If you only want to play English League, again, its still only 69p. If you want to play a variety of tournaments, and dont want to earn your way through, then the other IAP values are simply much better value, and also offer those that think "this game is worth 2 quid" a way to voluntarily pay that.

Anyone else find it confusing? I can tweak the wording if people agree it is..
Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I unlocked the full game on my iTouch, but now downloaded it to my iPhone. There is no "restore purchases" option, so how do I unlock the full game on another device? Normally I would just choose the initial unlock option and trust that I won't be charged again, but since in this game it is apparently possible to keep purchasing coins, I am no able to do that. Dev?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 AM

I'm not sure it's possible to use "restore purcahse" on "consumable" iAPs. I didn't really consider device migration I'm afraid. You might have to wait for iCloud Support, which could make the 1st update. (actually, probably the 2nd, I'll try and put through an update with a speed setting in the next couple of days)

User reviews in the UK have been overwhelmingly positive (most are 5*, so thanks to everyone!!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising Elton View Post
I'm not sure it's possible to use "restore purcahse" on "consumable" iAPs. I didn't really consider device migration I'm afraid. You might have to wait for iCloud Support, which could make the 1st update. (actually, probably the 2nd, I'll try and put through an update with a speed setting in the next couple of days)

User reviews in the UK have been overwhelmingly positive (most are 5*, so thanks to everyone!!
The problem is though, that you have lumped consumable IAP together with the full game unlock. And if the reality is that the full game unlock cannot be carried over through devices, then that is completely unacceptable, and I don't think you realise just what a shit storm you are in for.

EDIT: P.S. iCloud support won't be an acceptable solution. People don't always have iCloud turned on for all their devices for a variety of valid reasons. Non-consumable IAP quite simply must be accessible freely on any device tied to a user's account once purchased. It's a corner stone of buyer confidence with regard to IAP. Frankly, I'm surprised Apple would let anything contrary slip through.

Last edited by Gabrien; 05-14-2012 at 04:45 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
The problem is though, that you have lumped consumable IAP together with the full game unlock. And if the reality is that the full game unlock cannot be carried over through devices, then that is completely unacceptable, and I don't think you realise just what a shit storm you are in for.

EDIT: P.S. iCloud support won't be an acceptable solution. People don't always have iCloud turned on for all their devices for a variety of valid reasons. Non-consumable IAP quite simply must be accessible freely on any device tied to a user's account once purchased. It's a corner stone of buyer confidence with regard to IAP. Frankly, I'm surprised Apple would let anything contrary slip through.
I'll work out a solution, but I'm pretty sure there are many games where using a consumable iAP also unlocks features and can't be migrated. DLS soccer also has multiplayer and ad removal linked to purchasing coins for one, and this is also not transferable across devices to my knowledge.
I can't really see why anyone would really not want to use iCloud on some devices? You'd only need it turn it on once to synch your unlocks and then turn it off again if you really don't like it being active.
Many, many devs are too small to synch purchases via their own dedicated server backend, which is the only other way to do it with consumable purchases.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising Elton View Post
I'll work out a solution, but I'm pretty sure there are many games where using a consumable iAP also unlocks features and can't be migrated. DLS soccer also has multiplayer and ad removal linked to purchasing coins for one, and this is also not transferable across devices to my knowledge.
I can't really see why anyone would really not want to use iCloud on some devices? You'd only need it turn it on once to synch your unlocks and then turn it off again if you really don't like it being active.
Many, many devs are too small to synch purchases via their own dedicated server backend, which is the only other way to do it with consumable purchases.
The poster you are responding to is 100% correct. You are making excuses that will come back to haunt you.

Bottom line is if someone pays for unlocked features on one device, they will expect those features on all devices synced to their account. As it is now, the unlocked features seemingly would not even remain unlocked should one delete and reinstall.

This is unacceptable and your excuses can easily be read as a dodge for your incompetence and failure to plan, or as an excuse for your greed.

I will not buy any IAP until you fix this. Hell, I'm removing the gamefrom my devices and submitting a one star review until you modify your 'blame the customer' attitude and get this addressed. I really don't think you realize how these kind of IAP failures can quickly become PR fiascos.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Sorry Alex, but the IAP's / consumable and unlock states are completely delete/reinstall safe. They just don't synch across devices, which is impossible without a server back end of some kind.

Synching across devices without a custom backend server solution is exactly what iCloud is for though, and that will be one solution that is definitely implemented soon. Please do explain if iCloud is not suitable for you, as it seems perfect for this as far as I can see.

I will work out a solution, even if I have to reimburse users directly in the short term if they really want 2 devices with the same coins and unlocks.

I'm doing my best to respond to this. Yourself and Gabrien are the only complaints I've had in a couple of thousand downloads, and I do apologise if this issue has prevented you enjoying the game.
I've tried to give as much away for free as I reasonably can after spending many months invested in developing and redeveloping this game, so I hope understand "greed" is not a motivation and I am fairly offended my that accusation. I'm not in a position of having made a penny profit on any of my iOS titles to date and Uprising Games has gone from a Full time business to part time as my founding parter and I both had to return to full time work.

Last edited by Uprising Elton; 05-14-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

My word that's some harsh criticism. ^^^

For such a terrific playing game, heaping negativity on the Dev for something that's worth less than a sandwich is out of order in IMHO.

Go and play a better top-down football game instead. Oh, I remembered, there ISN'T ONE.

Support the Dev and the game might get even better. Even if it doesn't they've got my support. Just enjoy it.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Hi Elton,

I totally understand where you're coming from, and I'll just say that I'll agree with the commenters' comments on the expectations - not with the tone per se.

Let me try to ask this, though, because your comments make me a bit confused here - and I believe that what you might be reading into the comments might not be what people are actually saying.

My expectation in this kind of games would be that if I unlock a game mode through an IAP, that that unlock is tied to my iTunes account, and so I can play that game mode in any device I have - be it the iPad, iPhone or the iPad. As such, for instance, I buy an expansion for Ascension, like I did last week, and I have access to the new game modes in all my devices.

I wouldn't necessarily expect that if I purchase - hypothetical example - 50.000$ of currency in, I don't know, Tiny Tower, or whatever, that I would be able to sync that amount between my devices. Some people might be doing that, kudos, but I wouldn't expect it.

So, summing it up:
- Unlocks being able to be restored in my iTunes account: I expect it to be so.
- Consumables: not really expected.

Your comment that

Quote:
Sorry Alex, but the IAP's / consumable and unlock states are completely delete/reinstall safe. They just don't synch across devices, which is impossible without a server back end of some kind.
leads me to think that either the unlocks are indeed able to be used across devices, or that they're not delete/reinstall safe, because I'm not sure how you'd be pulling one off without the other. After all, iTunes purchases would be tied to your iTunes account, and are usually not tied to your device per se.

If one deletes and reinstalls, how does one recover the unlocks at the moment?

I guess that you might just need to register the unlock IAPs as "one-offs" in the iTunes back-end, and not as something that you can purchase several times. If that's the case, I assume that people when moving to another device and trying to re-purchase, they'll be told by iTunes that "You've already purchased this item." and do the installation without debiting more money from the iTunes account.

I'm not an iOS developer per se, so the terminology might be wrong, but I guess you'll probably understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm sure we can find a way to get this to work!

Cheers,
Paulo