Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
Sensible rationale.

Not sure if Resistance is being touted as the flagship FPS, I never thought that of the PS3 versions. I'm partial to Killzone myself which will also be available at some point in the future unless its cancelled.

As far as Vita's future, I certainly hope it stays around and enjoys a lifespan as long as the PSP has. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to sales numbers. Sony will have to deal with that, and given their current financial situation, I certainly hope they address it rather quickly.
What they need is a better lineup of games and a reduction in the price of the console. Then it would sell better, I think.

As far as I know, resistance is the only fps for vita. And, seeing all the publicity it's getting, it seems like a big game for the vita. Hopefully it'll deliver on the gameplay, where it really matters.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
I'm considering it. I'm always interested in the latest advances in handheld gaming. iOS, until recently, was really the only platform with the hardware and selection to suit my preferences. The vita looks nice, especially concerning hardware (wow the same gpu as the new iPad with less than half of the pixels to push!) but the lineup looks pretty dismal. Resistance is supposed to be the awesome flagship fps, but iOS surpasses it graphically and in multiplayer count. The sales are also declining for the vita, so I'm afraid it might die out, which I really don't want to happen. I'm going to wait and see if it sticks around strong with sales and a good games lineup before I lay my cash down.
The sales declining is only based on Japan's sales numbers. I really don't think that you will be able to judge the Vita's success on their sales. They've pushed 1.8 million Vita's since December, with the majority of sales coming since February's launch in Western countries. 3DS has pushed 2 million units since January, with strong sales in Japan. I'd say Vita will surpass 3DS sales in western countries before the end of the year with the slew of games that are targeted at western gamers.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreEricXXX View Post
The sales declining is only based on Japan's sales numbers. I really don't think that you will be able to judge the Vita's success on their sales. They've pushed 1.8 million Vita's since December, with the majority of sales coming since February's launch in Western countries. 3DS has pushed 2 million units since January, with strong sales in Japan. I'd say Vita will surpass 3DS sales in western countries before the end of the year with the slew of games that are targeted at western gamers.
Hopefully. If the vita succeeds it can only lead to more quality mobile games.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Hopefully. If the vita succeeds it can only lead to more quality mobile games.
Theyve been saying that for 4 years, and it still hasn't came to fruition. Unless Apple is going to throw some serious cash behind some developers, you're never going to get games on the same level as Sony produced games like (PSV and PSP) MGS, GoW, Uncharted, Resistance, Pursuit Force, Gravity Daze, and all the RPGs that I don't play.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Theyve been saying that for 4 years, and it still hasn't came to fruition. Unless Apple is going to throw some serious cash behind some developers, you're never going to get games on the same level as Sony produced games like (PSV and PSP) MGS, GoW, Uncharted, Resistance, Pursuit Force, Gravity Daze, and all the RPGs that I don't play.
For the most part, I agree with you. However, controls aside, iOS has been getting great ports of classics like max Payne and gta. As for new games, well, all I have to say is that no mobile offers a multiplayer like mc3 and nova 3, performance on older devices aside. Air supremacy looks and plays as good as any console or even pc air sim, too. Maybe the vita will change that. I don't know. But both are legitimate hardcore gaming platforms. The vita just needs a better lineup. That's all.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with you. However, controls aside, iOS has been getting great ports of classics like max Payne and gta. As for new games, well, all I have to say is that no mobile offers a multiplayer like mc3 and nova 3, performance on older devices aside. Air supremacy looks and plays as good as any console or even pc air sim, too. Maybe the vita will change that. I don't know. But both are legitimate hardcore gaming platforms. The vita just needs a better lineup. That's all.
You do know the Vitas basicly around twice as powerful as your ipad 3, it uses the SGX543MP4+ chipset which has been enhanced by Sony for gaming it also has double the number of CPU cores plus the screen resolution used by Apple means the iPad is always going to struggle with frame rates.

iPad 3 just isn't in the same league it's less powerful than a few phones, it's funny you keep bringing Nova 3 up because from what I've been reading the iPad 3 can't run it with any of special effects and even without them suffers framerate drops.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I just appreciate a solid single player/coop experience. I haven't had an iOS device in a year, but I haven't seen anything that was compelling enough to pick up a new iPod. Infinity Blade was a lot of fun, so was Real Racing, but there has always been a certain amount of depth that kept me from really loving a game. I love classics, but the reason they're called classics is because everyone has played them. It's definitely not making me want to go get a new iPod. Playing games to me is like reading a book. I want story, which includes voice acting, attachment, and strong cutscenes, and that's just never showed up on the app store. My favorite part of the app store is puzzle games. I wish we saw some more come to Vita. Many just are meant for a touch screen.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
You do know the Vitas basicly around twice as powerful as your ipad 3, it uses the SGX543MP4+ chipset which has been enhanced by Sony for gaming it also has double the number of CPU cores plus the screen resolution used by Apple means the iPad is always going to struggle with frame rates.

iPad 3 just isn't in the same league it's less powerful than a few phones, it's funny you keep bringing Nova 3 up because from what I've been reading the iPad 3 can't run it with any of special effects and even without them suffers framerate drops.
Lol. It isn't anywhere near twice as powerful, and you need to do your research before stating something so objective!

First of all, the CPU isn't very important in regards to gaming - it is used for physics calculations and when the gpu is maxed out.

Second, double the cores doesn't mean double the performance.

Third, the "+" sign, which differentiates the gpu of the iPad from that of the vita, indicates the added VRAM, 128 mb. The vita overall has 512 mb of RAM, the iPad has double at 1gb

Fourth, the device doesn't have to run at native resolution, in fact it doesn't for many games.

And finally, consoles push games in 720p with a little AA. They have a lot of trouble getting a complex game out in 1080p, though they technically support it. The iPad, on the other hand, is running a full shooter at a resolution greater than 1080p, and doing so at around 40-45 fps in the campaign. That the device can accomplish this is startling to me. Even non-hardcore gaming PCs will sometimes have difficulty cranking out 1080p. In multi, the framerate goes anywhere from 25-45 fps. Frankly, the game was rushed for the new iPad and GL admits this.

And finally, what phones are, not just on paper but also in real-world performance, superior to the iPad? Don't give me any android crap. They need the quad core CPUs and 1gb of ram to push past that steaming pile of 💩 OS that hogs so much of the system's resources. They even have a name for it: Android lag.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
I just appreciate a solid single player/coop experience. I haven't had an iOS device in a year, but I haven't seen anything that was compelling enough to pick up a new iPod. Infinity Blade was a lot of fun, so was Real Racing, but there has always been a certain amount of depth that kept me from really loving a game. I love classics, but the reason they're called classics is because everyone has played them. It's definitely not making me want to go get a new iPod. Playing games to me is like reading a book. I want story, which includes voice acting, attachment, and strong cutscenes, and that's just never showed up on the app store. My favorite part of the app store is puzzle games. I wish we saw some more come to Vita. Many just are meant for a touch screen.

Yep, yes and yeah. One thing that always irritates me is that, almost all the time, the single player on ops games is pretty crappy. Mc3 is a GREAT example of a terrible campaign. But again, the multi more than makes up for it...

The only really great, console-quality iOS single player title in terms of story, VO and in-depth-ness would be dead space, I think. Other than that, your right. That's why I prefer my PC when it comes to getting involved in a story.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

Oh yes, forgot to mention this but shadowgun runs a a great framerate. It runs at 2048x1536, and has 4x antialiasing.