Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
jDun1212 jDun1212 is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Default Rejected by apple...

So I was just rejected by apple. Citing 11.8, pretty much I was attempting to charge for my users to unlock the multiplayer game mode that I created. I thought that it would be the same thing as charging the user to unlock the more levels or something, but appple viewed it as blocking the user from accessing game center...

Anyone had any experience with appeals? I'm trying to do so now, I'll keep you updated on how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Enlevel Studio Enlevel Studio is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 103
Default

I think Apple has a point here. They don't want you to advertise that the game has Game Center but then you have to pay to unlock game center features. Does your game have game center support for the non multiplayer part of your game?

Last edited by Enlevel Studio; 05-23-2012 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
antony.thai's Avatar
antony.thai antony.thai is offline
Developer
iPhone 6
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posts: 1,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDun1212 View Post
So I was just rejected by apple. Citing 11.8, pretty much I was attempting to charge for my users to unlock the multiplayer game mode that I created. I thought that it would be the same thing as charging the user to unlock the more levels or something, but appple viewed it as blocking the user from accessing game center...

Anyone had any experience with appeals? I'm trying to do so now, I'll keep you updated on how it goes.
An Apple rejection is not always non-negotiable, you may need to explain them your point clearly so they may considering your app again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
AppRocketeer AppRocketeer is offline
Junior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 27
Default

Why in the world would you block your users from multiplayer with a pay wall?

Your community of players is what will make or break your game, especially in a multiplayer game. You want as many users as is possible to be playing multiplayer as often as possible. If anybody has to wait longer than 15 seconds for a match, they move on. Nothing is worse than a multiplayer game with nobody to play with.

For goodness sake, lock everything else in the app, but don't lock multiplayer!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:26 AM
antony.thai's Avatar
antony.thai antony.thai is offline
Developer
iPhone 6
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posts: 1,566
Default

I however don't really like multiplayer game on mobile that much since people will hard to find free time to play together. But a well multiplayer gameplay design that doesn't demand 2 players can be free at the same time is absolutely forcing me buying the game.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Eclectic Eclectic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Personally I am of the opinion that when Apple ask you to jump you should reply by asking "how high"?

Our whole business model and income depends upon their whim. They seem even handed and fair minded. Certainly they don't just throw their weight around.

We had a small issue with them once and resolved it in far less than half a working day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
LiamAtDevour LiamAtDevour is offline
Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 83
Default

It's probably because you're attempting to make money off a free product that apple offers. It'd be like going to the beach, holding an umbrella over someone and asking them to pay you for sunlight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
jDun1212 jDun1212 is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Default

Ahhh well yes, at face value I am indeed trying to make money off a product that Apple gives away for free, but its slightly different than that I suppose.

The multiplayer that I designed is significantly different, from the rest of the game, it has large changes to the gameplay, so i was thinking that some people might not like to play against someone else, but might like to play by themselves, so I would charge .99 for multiplayer and .99 for the rest of the game.

Think Call of Duty multiplayer, and Call of Duty single player, each has a team of about 100+ working on it, and they are very very different. The only thing that i was using of apples was their match making ability.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Rubicon's Avatar
Rubicon Rubicon is offline
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppRocketeer View Post
Why in the world would you block your users from multiplayer with a pay wall?

Your community of players is what will make or break your game, especially in a multiplayer game. You want as many users as is possible to be playing multiplayer as often as possible. If anybody has to wait longer than 15 seconds for a match, they move on. Nothing is worse than a multiplayer game with nobody to play with.

For goodness sake, lock everything else in the app, but don't lock multiplayer!
QFT

Multiplayer is you best marketing tool. If you're running out of ideas for how to monetise, think again. If you only ship with a single "free" feature, it should be multiplayer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM
lolzappan lolzappan is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDun1212 View Post
Ahhh well yes, at face value I am indeed trying to make money off a product that Apple gives away for free, but its slightly different than that I suppose.

The multiplayer that I designed is significantly different, from the rest of the game, it has large changes to the gameplay, so i was thinking that some people might not like to play against someone else, but might like to play by themselves, so I would charge .99 for multiplayer and .99 for the rest of the game.

Think Call of Duty multiplayer, and Call of Duty single player, each has a team of about 100+ working on it, and they are very very different. The only thing that i was using of apples was their match making ability.
If you really want to stick to your original plan, try an appeal and make sure you provide them a good reason why it is necessary to keep it the way it is. If you can be convincing they might let you through.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent