Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games > Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Yeah I think it's too low, and I only saw this thread, but where's synth and metalcasket?
Void's still in time-out and I'm here.

Yeah...even though I'm not exactly thrilled seeing this go on sale, I guess I have to learn not to jump on every game I'm interested in as soon as it's released from now on. Pretty standard App Store stuff, after all.

That said, you know why this sale thread isn't getting more attention? Because it hasn't gone down to $0.99.

Last edited by metalcasket; 05-30-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Why's he there? Was it for that funny long rant of his or something else?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Why's he there? Was it for that funny long rant of his or something else?
Yessir.

Last edited by metalcasket; 05-30-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
All the above said, you know why this sale thread isn't getting more attention? Because it hasn't gone down to $0.99.
I think you are spot on. I also think it will, and soonish.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Currently have a window for a new immersive game and wondered which is the better overall game between Gene Effect & Waking Mars?

Didn't really bother about these 2 at launch as had other priorities, however have read mixed reviews for both of these.

GE has been called boring, whilst WM difficulty levels are unbalanced.

GE looks more visually stunning to me, but seems to lack any action compared to WM.

Are they both worth getting?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers guys
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 AM
iPad mini

I'm not sure how to explain it, but I think I would call Waking Mars a better game, while I enjoy playing Gene Effect more. WM has much more depth, thought required, etc. However for some reason I can't explain, I find GE more fun. Maybe I'm just a sucker for flying around in a ship. TBH, WM is a very good game that is beautiful, immersive, and a bit... boring GE is also great looking, fairly simple, straightforward, has kind of shallow gameplay, and fun.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:

Yeah...even though I'm not exactly thrilled seeing this go on sale, I guess I have to learn not to jump on every game I'm interested in as soon as it's released from now on. Pretty standard App Store stuff, after all.

That said, you know why this sale thread isn't getting more attention? Because it hasn't gone down to $0.99.
Haha void got on a time out That rant, eh?

3$* And yeah, it's just App Store's nature. And you're right on that, people were all hopeful to get this on sale, but all they wanted was $0.99...

Last edited by New England Gamer; 05-30-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: edited the quoted post per request
Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Wanted to put my 2 cents in here again. I've bought Waking Mars, but haven't played it yet so can't compare it.

That said, I can agree with metalcasket that the gameplay isn't necessarily "deep" -- there's no upgrades, few "weapons" to use, etc. BUT I find it incredibly absorbing. The graphics, lighting and sound effects are all top notch. I play this game because it makes me feel like part of the experience and it's fun.

Just because it's not "deep" also doesn't mean it's easy. I've sometimes gotten a little frustrated dying after spending 15-20 minutes on a level because I was rushing too much and got killed by some flower pollen or hitting a wall when already having low health.

Still, it's the kind of game that sucks you in (or at least it did to me).

I don't mind the price drop. I paid the full $4.99 and am happy with my purchase.Yes, it stings a bit, but I've had worse (games going FREE after just a few weeks, for instance). If the devs need to drop it to make some more money -- all the power to them because I'd love to see updates and more levels down the road.

Those waiting for $.99, however, I hope you're waiting a long time...

Last edited by awp69; 05-30-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix24 View Post
Currently have a window for a new immersive game and wondered which is the better overall game between Gene Effect & Waking Mars?

Didn't really bother about these 2 at launch as had other priorities, however have read mixed reviews for both of these.

GE has been called boring, whilst WM difficulty levels are unbalanced.

GE looks more visually stunning to me, but seems to lack any action compared to WM.

Are they both worth getting?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers guys
Well, they are quite different in game play. I don't really see how someone could call Waking Mars difficult insofar as death barely sets you back and the game saves every time you change rooms or access your menu. Basically, you're just exploring and building an ecosystem. It's the kind of game that anyone can beat over time, like an RPG. Someone might get stuck if they can't figure something out, but it's not like it requires or even rewards much precision or reflex. The degree to which someone is good at the game is more a matter of micromanagement.

In Gene Effect, you are facing time constraints, and various other hazards over three different difficulty levels and missions are broken up into separate stages with clear objectives and scoring criteria rather than just exploring one big area at your leisure. But it's GE that has much more action, per se. You're exploring and mining rather than shooting, but it's still structured that way and you may find yourself being shot AT.

Both are pretty sweet.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

How does this game look and play on the iPad?