App description: Devices

Only runs on new generation devices (iPad2+, iPhone4+, etc).

Story

The story takes place in the distant future, starting near the planet known as Earth. A small rebel group of citizens living in the solar system defies the Empire after years of political disputes and makes a dash out of their star system. They attempt to escape in an ancient research vessel named after the near-Earth asteroid "433 Eros", first discovered in 1898. As they struggle through each jump to get further from Earth, they come across new systems full of challenges and hardships. The goal is to find a new place to call home, but does such a place exist? Is the crew of Eros doomed to wander as space nomads?

Game Play

* Story line and endless survival modes.
* Earn credits to unlock permanent technology upgrades as times goes on.
* 8 different core tower types. 3 utility, 5 combat.
* The 5 combat towers have secondary firing modes for additional strategies.
* 20 stage story line, with 4 different visual evolutions as the story progresses.
* Beautiful music and sound effects.

FAQ

Q. I can't research anything even though I have credits?
A. The research flow is from the bottom up, and you can only research the upper nodes if you've successfully researched the lower nodes connecting to it first.

Q. What is the "shield" button on the tower upgrade menu in the game?
A. If researched, combat towers have the ability to toggle between primary and secondary firing modes.

Web

http://www.erosthegame.com
https://twitter.com/#!/uncannyworks
http://www.alasconnect.com

bojo's comments:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQgcC7p7ZI]Eros Defense[/url]

06-02-2012, 11:05 PM
only itunes review is saying to pass, might wait for a video.

checked the games site, no videos, why even bother having a website then?

06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
only itunes review is saying to pass, might wait for a video.
Yeah but it's all no retina no hi res bs, doesn't even mention the gameplay. This looks interesting enough to maybe take a gamble on now that it's on sale for $0.99.
06-03-2012, 11:25 AM
its looks to be a td where you place towers around the perimeter of the mothership to protect it from waves of ships appearing from all sides. i like the premise, but yeah, lack of graphics dooesn't help, and apparently the creator just removed half of the tower capabilities because he thought they turned out to be useless. could be true, but would rather have seen him make them useful than just axe half the strategy out.
06-03-2012, 01:40 PM
What's weird is that EROS is the name of the god of love. I think it's greek god, but i remember the name.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
its looks to be a td where you place towers around the perimeter of the mothership to protect it from waves of ships appearing from all sides. i like the premise, but yeah, lack of graphics dooesn't help, and apparently the creator just removed half of the tower capabilities because he thought they turned out to be useless. could be true, but would rather have seen him make them useful than just axe half the strategy out.
Hello, I'm the developer for the title. I appreciate all the comments, both good and bad.

Admittedly it was my first game I've ever developed solo on, so it was pretty much an uphill climb from the start. I spent so much time trying to shrink down the textures so the game size would be small and playable on lower end devices (both iOS and Android), that I overlooked optimizing for tablet sized screens and the like. Another mistake was probably trying to stretch it out as a story across 20 levels, I should have just focused on making the gameplay solid for a couple levels instead and expand later. Live and learn I guess.

I axed the tower secondary abilities because ultimately they appeared to be useless in regards to the gameplay. Apparently no one understood how to toggle them anyways, there was no description as to what the toggle button was or how it worked, which is my own fault for being overlooked.

Everything might have made more sense if enemies didn't randomly fly around, but flew along a set in stone path instead (which I was trying to avoid, such a boring standard TD feature). I was aiming for more of a space drama feel to it.

Eros is the name of the Greek god of love, indeed. It's also the name of an asteroid [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/433_Eros[/url] which the name was originally derived from.

The price has been set to $0.99 for awhile now, but if you are after a standard TD then I guess you'll want to avoid it.

Hopefully I can come back and fix all the graphics in the near future, even if it's only as a matter of personal pride. There's 6000 images to reassemble back into 70+ sprite atlases, so it'll take a bit of work or some major rethinking, especially if I try to make both HD and SD versions.
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
thanks for the info bojo, you sound like something i'd have done, in terms of trying to develop a TD as my first solo project it would be a personal matter of pride as well for me to make it as good as I could, whether it made any real money or not. not every developer 'cares', but its nice to see that you seem to.

i wouldn't worry about the better graphics taking up too much space, if the quality is there, people will make room for it. i'd always (personally) prefer giving the best that I could and then trying to optimize the build size down as time went on.

i get ticked off every time bard's tale puts out an update, but i always find a way to get that 1.3GB of data to install

I'll grab a copy of the game and hope you get back to it

Last edited by araczynski; 06-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.