Support our Sponsors:

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Wonderful list, thanks for compiling it. Now we need a poll

(also you misspelled Storm Strikers)
Thanks , fixed. Thought about putting some of the most mentioned in bold (Phoenix HD, Darisburst SP, Raystorm, Space Tripper, Lightning Fighter, Icarus-X...maybe a few more), but was afraid to start splitting hairs since everyone has their own tastes.

Last edited by awp69; 07-01-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Lol.. Well, it's a lot more work..but could split up between vertical vs horizontal shmups..bullet hell vs non bullet hell.. But otherwise, great list. Of course, SIIG can be both vertical & horizontal.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Lol.. Well, it's a lot more work..but could split up between vertical vs horizontal shmups..bullet hell vs non bullet hell.. But otherwise, great list. Of course, SIIG can be both vertical & horizontal.
Nice idea, but there's probably at least 1/3 of them I've never even played (but may need to take a look at now )!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Thanks , fixed. Thought about putting some of the most mentioned in bold (Phoenix HD, Darisburst SP, Raystorm, Space Tripper, Lightning Fighter, Icarus-X...maybe a few more), but was afraid to start splitting hairs since everyone has their own tastes.
Thanks for taking the time out to make the list. But your right about preferences all right. Would like to give a shoutout to Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Toon Shooter, Danmaku, and iRootage.

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Just an FYI. Icarus-X is currently free. No reason to not try it if you haven't already!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Ok, SumoSplash was asking me some questions about Dariusburst on that thread, mostly about the graphic quality, and comparing it to other games. I decided to just post some screenshots, so you all can decide for yourselves. I'll throw in my comments later too.

Here are some screenshots of various games including Dariusburst, Space Tripper, Dodonpachi hd, Espgaluga 2 hd, Icarus X, Phoenix Hd, and Toon Shooters.

Once the first picture loads up, press on the left/right arrows or swipe left/right to see all the pictures, there should be ten of them or so.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...DGTCxf5MLLM3DY

The first 2 pictures are of Dariusburst on my new ipad, the next two are of Dariusburst on my iphone4. After that, there are various games.

Since there are so many graphic modes and terms, it is hard to pick out which of these are the best. Most of it is due to user preference. There are so many confusing terms here like retina iphone, retina ipad, hd, some apps use 3/4 screen, etc, so it's hard to say which is best.

Dariusburst has the most 3d effects, so screendumps don't do it justice. Personally, I kind of like it best for graphics due to the 3d effects. To me, it is the coolest looking shmup.

Dodonpachi hd and esp 2 hd, are good, but a little pixellated, I would say they are close to iphone retina or ipad 2 hd. Phoenix hd has the most gorgeous art and colors out of these programs, and while space tripper may be the most pixellated, it uses the full screen unlike most of the others, so that helps.

The ironic thing is that the two least known that I posted Icarus X and Toon Shooters look the best on my new ipad retina. At least in terms of pixel jaggies. But overall, lots of times artwork, 3d effects, and vector graphics will win over pixel count.

I know most of these games are a little high priced relatively, but I feel that all of these titles are must buys since there aren't too many great shmups out there. I would probably suggest buying bug princess 2 since it is only $7 to see if you like cave games since they are kind of similar (I'm sure some will say buy the black label version, but it is $14).

You said you wanted Dariusburst, so it is good cause it's a side scroller. Space Tripper isn't too much at $4, and some of the others that I screenshoted, you could have gotten for free or very little cost.

Hope this helps in choosing which shmups to buy Sumosplash! Take it easy!

Pictures:
1. Dariusburst, new ipad
2. Dariusburst, new ipad
3. Dariusburst, iphone 4
4. Dariusburst, iphone 4
5. Space Tripper, rest are all new ipad
6. Space Tripper
7. Icarus X
8. Dodonpachi ressurection hd
9. Espgaluga 2 hd
10. Toon shooters
11. Phoenix hd
12. Bug princess 2

Last edited by Connector; 07-16-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for the above post Connector. I now feel Connected But really, thanks for the informative feedback. Touch Arcade has expanded my iOS gaming knowledge by about a billion percent.

I know this subject has been brought up before, but does anyone now if there is any possibility of Cave bringing out HD versions of DoDon Blissful Death, DeathSmiles or any of the Bug Princess versions? Why are only Espgaluda and DoDon Resurrection getting the HD treatment? The other titles not currently in HD are just as worthy. I know I'd pay for them.

Someone mentioned that these titles are in HD because there were HD versions of them available on the consoles and they just ported them over. Is this true?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Rereading this thread, Phoenix hd came out with an update and dodonpachi maximum came out for ios. Phoenix hd really got better, the new ship Trinity just rocks. So I like it a lot better now. I like it better than icarus x now for sure.

Cave's new shooter dodonpachi maximum also is very good especially on iphones and is very recommended. I will check out the list cause there are probably some new games like Space Inflaters that are pretty good.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I will check out the list cause there are probably some new games like Space Inflaters that are pretty good.
I know I need to add a few games to the OP. I'll add Space Infaters (leaving out the Cave ones since this is supposed to be a non-Cave shump list).

Post any others! I know I gotta remember to update the thread.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
I know I need to add a few games to the OP. I'll add Space Infaters (leaving out the Cave ones since this is supposed to be a non-Cave shump list).

Post any others! I know I gotta remember to update the thread.
Oh good, it's you awp! Glad you are still updating this list cause I love shmups.

Add these two pretty good ones.

Hyperwave - kind of like Super Crossfire makers of Hyperlight
Bsquadron - new game that just game out, kind of retro and fun

Also, Space Inflaters is spelled with a L.

Thanks so much! What a complete list!