Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
You can simulate vector flicker pretty easily, though it might irritate some people, so it should probably be an option. The iPhone -- even older generations -- should have ample power to do a pretty convincing X/Y monitor simulation, since vector graphic simulation itself isn't very demanding, so there should be plenty of cycles left over for flicker effects.
It's funny you should mention that...

My own experiments have shown that GL based graphics can do vector flicker surprisingly well. The bigger issue I've struggled with is how to get the analog "look" right. Getting the "warm" feel of an analog signal is slightly more challenging than the phosphor decay. X/Y displays like the Quadrascan and Vectrex don't really have "pixels" per-se. Which means that aliasing is a no-no. (Something very prominent when drawing the thin lines of a vector display.)

I experimented with blurring, but that had a negative effect on the phosphor simulation. (Can you say "extreme smearing"?) The solution I landed on is to render sharp lines to a decaying backbuffer, then post-processes the image to give it an analog look. Throw a bit of sinusoidal disturbance into the post processing, and it should look just like the real thing!

BTW, I found the flicker to be surprisingly helpful in one respect. Vector displays were REALLY bright. So bright that it's near impossible to replicate on modern displays. The flicker has the effect of making it look brighter than it actually is. Which gives a better impression of the virtual display.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Supposedly this should be out "soon."

http://www.vectrexregeneration.com/
Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Damn never knew about this! Thanks for pointing it out. This coup be my dream app! I buy lots of vector games I find but this one could be the best
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Oh, wow! Thanks, JindoFox, for posting about that! How incredible. I never personally had one as a kid, but a friend did. And of all the early systems, I always thought, despite it's utilitarian quirkiness, that this was the 'coolest' technology. I really hope that 'soon' actually means soon, and that this doesn't fall off the cliff into the abyss of the app development void. Having this on idevices would be just too good to be true.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Spotted this and thought I'd jump in and let you know that - yes - soon does definitely mean soon... just not 'next week' soon :-)

We making it an amazing polished experience, and we're working flat out, but there's a chunk to do before it's ready...

News and videos etc will be pinged out via @vectrexregen ([url]http://twitter.com/vectrexregen[/url])

Old screen cap from 2 months ago is here:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78tU9Ot_z0[/url]

Looks unrecognisably different and much, much better now... :-)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectrexregeneration View Post
Spotted this and thought I'd jump in and let you know that - yes - soon does definitely mean soon... just not 'next week' soon :-)

We making it an amazing polished experience, and we're working flat out, but there's a chunk to do before it's ready...

News and videos etc will be pinged out via @vectrexregen (http://twitter.com/vectrexregen)

Old screen cap from 2 months ago is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78tU9Ot_z0

Looks unrecognisably different and much, much better now... :-)
I love vector graphics. If I remember correctly, it was monochromatic with a tinted screen.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just watched that video.

Can't wait for the app. Should be brilliant on the icade

Last edited by psj3809; 07-21-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Can you confirm if Icade support will be added? Looks great.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Emailed the dev who got back to me....

"I can confirm that Scramble is indeed going to be included in the lineup!

We're targeting a release later this year. We're putting huge amounts of effort into it because we want it to be a fantastic experience and do real justice to Vectrex, so I'm not able to put a firm release date yet... but it's already looking awesome :-)"

Shame its not 'soon' but either way i'm happy as hell knowing this app will be out later this year.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Just saw a write up about this and had to say how excited I am. "Soon" can't get here soon enough!