Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 8.x

The orientation bug was fixed too, just saying.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaroFN View Post
The orientation bug was fixed too, just saying.
Finally. I stopped playing due to the skewy orientation. Or was it because of the confusing map?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerMark View Post
Regarding controls, we're also adding a d-pad option. You have our word, never again will we turn our backs on the beloved d-pad! It's easily the #1 requested feature and we'll absolutely make that happen.

One question for the forum, though. Reading through the posts, a few people mention Mage Gauntlet's control scheme as a "free-floating joystick wherever you put your thumb." Cthulhu's is essentially the same thing, only the joystick moves you in the 4 cardinal directions. You don't need to continuously swipe in the direction you want to go, or make a big swiping motion to change direction. It should be a very minimal gesture that doesn't move your thumb around the screen much at all. Unless you choose to reposition it.

It may be that we failed to accurately communicate the control scheme as it's currently employed. It's not really a "swipe to move" or a "drag and hold" so much as a regular virtual stick, only one that establishes itself wherever you put your thumb. Maybe that will help some people. This occurred to us watching some people play recently, and seeing them continuously swiping around to move somewhere. They were using a lot more movement than necessary and it wasn't obvious from our directions that that wasn't necessary.

Regardless, we're still putting in the d-pad option and fully respect that the virtual stick is not everyone's cup of tea.
I got the game after reading this and went straight for the swipe controls. There is one big, huge difference between this implementation and Mage Gauntlet's that makes all the difference: this invisible joystick has no dead zone, and Mage Gauntlet's has one, however small. And that leads to an unfortunate consequence: the only way to stop is to lift your thumb, and lifting your thumb is going to cause the controller to read a new swipe. In fact any rolling of your thumb is read as a swipe, so going right and then rolling clockwise to go down is just as likely to be read as left as it is down.

Imagine you have an analog stick but as you drag it past its normal outer bound, it comes with you. It only moves around if you drag it from the circumference. That gives it a degree of permanence in any given sequence of movements, but allows natural repositioning of the thumb.

My opinion of quality of game controls from worst to best:
Worst: poorly implemented swipe with no temporality, merely scanning thumb movement from last path, leads to erratic movements
Poor: fixed dpad or analog stick and buttons, especially if fixed to the bottom of the device on iPad, where it hurts to hold it
Better: movable dpad or stick and buttons in settings, able to put anywhere on the screen (including the top half for the iPad)
Even better: dpad or stick chooses contact point as new center every time you touch, say the left half of the screen, bonus if buttons can be pressed anywhere (tap anywhere on right half for A, swipe up on right half for B, say)
Best: as above but stick dragged by circumference
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I really like this game, but there is something you have to correct :

In this case, this bug prevented me from taking the best Dacre's spell (Hero Hymn)...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Just finished this game and boy it's fun despite the movement controls. Pretty much didn't play anything else for the past ~2.5 weeks. Love the humor..and actually like the mana regen system allowing me to mess around with spells instead of saving mana. The game is actually challenging if I'm not careful using skills/spells. The only thing I'm not crazy about the mazing for the levels (too tedious, especially playing when sleepy with no mini map feature).

Overall though, still a fun game and recommended.

Now I feel like I need a break from gaming for a few days. ;-)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

The game is really good. My only complaint is lack of automap.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks for resurrecting this post.

So what's about the lvl up's bug above ? Still nothing ? We have to start the game again and hope it won't happen ?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotovsky View Post
The game is really good. My only complaint is lack of automap.
Yeah i sure wish they'd add a map to this version and allow us to see where we're at. Each dungeon I seem to get lost in!

Last edited by curtisrshideler; 07-13-2013 at 10:17 AM..