Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Default How do I backup my game progress?

Hey everybody 😉

I have completed both Chaos Rings & PvZ 100% but as I only have an 8gig iPhone 4, I need to delete both in order to play Infinite Blade 1 & 2.

Thing is that I don't want to lose my progress on either game and I would like to know if it's possible to backup the game with progress intact?

I'm a recent convert from Nokia and I have only ever worked on Windows based pcs so I am not aufait with the Mac environment.

Please assist if you can, it would really be appreciated 😁

Thanks everybody

Last edited by Sabaki; 08-13-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Hi guys. Nobody willing to help me out? 😰

I've been trawling the net unsuccessfully for a solution.

Please guys! Would be super appreciated
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

There's no real 'official' way to save data from an App that uses protected documents to save the game state.

Also from what I understand once you delete the App off your phone it will wipe all iCloud and protected document data (data that isn't shared i.e. media players). So a typical sync wont backup that data.

However have you tried something that lets you access the documents dir of the applications (http://articles.businessinsider.com/...re-angry-birds). This is typically how developers save progress, so if you can save this data and restore later then it should have the effect of backing up the saves.

However some games might store the save game or other data in another (non-file based) location something like a local Key-Value store - which would be very hard to backup.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

RodGreen, thank you so much for the info, I really do appreciate it 😃
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

It's very easy if you are on a jailbroken device, there is a free app for it

Last edited by bacon-N-eggs; 08-14-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon-N-eggs View Post
It's very easy if your jailbroken, there is a free app for it
I find it sad that something that really should be apart of the platform is locked away from users so the only way to access it is to do something that goes against EULA's i.e. you need to jailbreak your device to backup your save games.

I know why they do it; to protect the developers from users poking around in the data - but really if the user wants/needs to access it, then they will find a way.

It's the ever futile struggle between people who want to free the devices and people who must have them protected.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 5.x

Nobody uses this? http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/ its free and it works amazing. I use it all the time!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I use AppBackup from cydia. It's amazing. You backup any app and then once you remove it, it clears from the list, then once you install back, it appears on list. You restore from backup and it's like you never removed it! You can backup all, separately, ignore an app from backup and remove saved progress data, not from the app you removed data from but AppBackup
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I use iFunBox (no jailbreak required). Let's you access the content in a game/app and backup your saves. I manage to backup like 90% of my games. It's never a surefire thing though, depends on the type of game. Some games cannot be backup up I think.

I also use it to modify and retina ready some app icons some devs are to lazy to update or just don't support the app anymore. xD

It's a really nifty tool.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 AM

It's rather interesting to note how many methods there are to backing up game data so not including this feature in iTunes is something Apple should revisit.

Maybe Apple are protecting their developers but certainly those who want to access game files for whatever reason have enough access to tools on the Internet?

I think it's also fair to state that the exercise of using programs to extract data in order to backup game saves also brings people closer to potentially pirate or misuse the application?

RodGreen, as a developer, you think that's a fair comment to make?