Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games > Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filing Cabinet View Post
Also bought

I hope these 2 arent very complex

Now my only problem is my backlog which also had bad hotel, jack lumber, puzzle craft, super mole escape added to it today.
Le Havre and Tigris & Euphrates are deep Euro titles, the former using worker placement and resource management while the latter uses very complex scoring and tile laying, area control. So they are complex, but the tutorials do a great job of explaining the game mechanics. In addition, Le Havre features a hint button that gives you a hint on what could be the best next action.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I think I may be in the same boat as others in interest for the other games. But I'm more of a casual gamer and scared by the complexity. I'm willing to try to learn Le Havre. But the others all also seem so complex..I watched a few clips of how to videos on Boardgamegeek for T&E, Ra and Medici and hey seem too complex for my "casual games" mind...

And totally off topic..thought I read Lost Cities is coming out this week from the guys that did Carcasonne. I tried it online and found that game pretty accessible. The rules is really easy for me to pick up. I'm sure there's a lot of strategies that I'm missing, but I had fun.

Last edited by tops2; 08-21-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
But I'm more of a casual gamer and scared by the complexity. I'm willing to try to learn Le Havre.
Hah! IMHO Le Havre is one of the most complex of the bunch! I'd rate Ra as the least complex of this group. My casual game group plays that in board game form all the time and love it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Hah! IMHO Le Havre is one of the most complex of the bunch! I'd rate Ra as the least complex of this group. My casual game group plays that in board game form all the time and love it.
Haha.. I meant to say I'm scared by complex games..but am willing to put the effort to learn select ones. ;-)

Its more that I'm lazy and not interested in learning how to play..but the ones that seems to be highly regarded, then I'll put in the effort.

Thanks for the recommendation about Ra. I'll look into it again. I think the thing that seems complex to me is the combination of various tiles you need to buy.

Last edited by tops2; 08-21-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Played the Le Havre tutorial last night, and it isn't as complicated as I thought it would be. the rules don't seem all that bad, the complexity really comes in from the different buildings. You definitely need to have a long-term strategy though, and plan ahead (if you are going to need bricks, you'll have to get clay first, etc) to make the buildings you want, meet food upkeep, etc.

The tutorial is very good, btw, maybe the best I've seen on ios, and plays through one entire game. So many tutorials dont tell you why you are making a particular move, but they do a good job of that here. The one thing that bugged me about it is that I missed a number of text bits trying to tap on a card and advancing the text instead.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Played the Le Havre tutorial last night, and it isn't as complicated as I thought it would be. the rules don't seem all that bad, the complexity really comes in from the different buildings. You definitely need to have a long-term strategy though, and plan ahead (if you are going to need bricks, you'll have to get clay first, etc) to make the buildings you want, meet food upkeep, etc.

The tutorial is very good, btw, maybe the best I've seen on ios, and plays through one entire game. So many tutorials dont tell you why you are making a particular move, but they do a good job of that here. The one thing that bugged me about it is that I missed a number of text bits trying to tap on a card and advancing the text instead.

When you play your first game outside tutorial keep pressing the hint button for the whole game, it will give you a better understanding of the game.

Codito should really implement a lobby system. One of my games has been going on for 3 weeks now
Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

This was the only one that I didnt have in my collection from this devs, it really slipped under my radar. I havent played it yet but If its anywhere near Tigris & Euprhates quality level I can say that this is one of the better deals out there.

P.S. Everyone should at least check T & E and Ra from the sale, both excellent games.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiel View Post
When you play your first game outside tutorial keep pressing the hint button for the whole game, it will give you a better understanding of the game.

Codito should really implement a lobby system. One of my games has been going on for 3 weeks now
I haven't played Le Havre or Tigres yet, but I'm currently in a 4 player async game of Puerto Rico and isn't much fun at all. I don't get the appeal of taking a turn, then waiting a day to take another turn, perhaps which consists of making one tiny decision. If I could still do 20 games simultaneously without burning out I guess I'd still appreciate it more than I do now.

In any case I picked up Le Havre and Tigres while on sale. At the very least they'll let me find out if I want to buy the real game, and for offline vs. CPU.

Last edited by crunc; 08-21-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Yeah they should make it like how playdek does it. Implement lobby and time limit, which can be tweaked by the user. That is the perfect async for me.

Last edited by xiel; 08-22-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Codito's online mp definitely needs chess timers like Playdek's apps. 3+ player games can take forever and eventually just become too boring to warrant interest.