Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM

Default Need Some Help Regarding IOS Game Making!

i am going to make apps and games for iphone and android as well as java can anyone tell me how much google and apple will pay me for a single app.and how much persons i needed to make a game like infinity blade ios game cuz there are only two perons in my team a CG artist and a programmer of anroid and ios game.are we enough to make a good game.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 AM

Are you joking ?
Sorry for asking, but your post seems to be the stereotype of a beginner post, that's why I'm asking.
If you want a good quality of life, don't do game for a living. It's not well paid.
- Google or Apple don't pay you. People buy your game and you receive 70% of the money.
- Infinity blade was made by a team of professional and probably cost several hundred of thousand dollars.
Don't even try to compete with them. You probably need at least 10 professional to do it (and probably more).
- You will be lucky if you FINISH your first game.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdefrin View Post
are we enough to make a good game.
Yes if you don`t expect to much from you for the first Game. Try to focus on the Gameplay and don`t rush anything out. It took the hole Team at Chair more then six Months and while the Game was pretty bugged at Launch it`s possible that a much smaller Team can create something on the same Level - It will just take you much, much longer time.

Good Luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM

what should i do next when i get completed my game?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Developer

Send a message via Skype™ to Synaptic Wave

Quote:
what should i do next when i get completed my game?
Oh my I have no idea what exactly you want to know

If you want to find out something about marketing, read the epic series on Ray Wenderlich's blog: click. Frankly saying, you'd better do it before completing a game. And even before starting it.

If you want to hear how to roll the app out to the market, I don't have a handy link. I'm not really in the mood to write a long post no one will read, so I'll just wait for your answer and write something if that's what you're looking for.

Finally, I want to second this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
If you want a good quality of life, don't do game for a living. It's not well paid.
Are you really really sure you want to build iOS games? Have you read any postmortems like this or this ones? Note that you'll be developing your game for half a year. The App Store will become more competitive by that time. So do you really want to stick with iOS development?

This doesn't really apply if you're from a country where a $1000 is a great salary, though.

Last edited by Synaptic Wave; 08-29-2012 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: grammer and punctoation
Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 AM

I wanted to make a PC or X360 game but it is too tough to make it so i thought to take a start from ios and then expand it to PC.
In my country 1000 dollars are almost One Lakhs.Which market is more competitive PC or ios?
Should i try a publisher or do everything by myself?
Is thousand dollars is the minimum amount to be paid or its maximum?
lastly tell me wisely is this a good profession for a person living in my country?

Thanks for All of the TouchArcade members you all are really helpfull.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Developer

oh my you make me cry

I don't really know where you live. You've never told it. So I have no idea whether
Quote:
is this a good profession for a person living in my country?
Anyway, it seems that you have no idea how app development works. Let's say you've made a great app. Apple reviewes your app to make sure it complies to all the Apple rules. If you think that this is the moment when you start earning money and working on another app - you're wrong. Apple doesn't take your app and offer it to everyone. They don't send emails and call friends to say 'Hey, look at this cool app by jackdefrin'. They don't buy ads. They don't do a single thing.

In fact, when Apple approves your app, it only lets you sell your app at App Store. I'll give you an example. Imagine a giant supermarket named Apple. It's filled with all kinds of goods (717,112 apps are available now). Each day more types of goods arrive. 710 a DAY (source). One day you, too, are allowed to sell your goods through this store. If you think that 'Build it and they will come' strategy will work, it won't. If you come to a shelf, jam your goods among thousands of others and wait for people to come, they won't. I've only heard of A SINGLE app which had some (I don't really know if big) success with this strategy. It was 10000000 and Hodapp discovered it at the TA app. Mind that I've followed the news for a few months. That's one app out of ten thousand.

Other manufacturers from the supermarket study what people look for to be sure that their goods aren't only found when someone searches for 'pinterest like opera videos app'. Some will hire PR agencies to make sure that the goods get some visibility. Someone will tease customers for months so that when the goods are released the customers are eager to try it out.

These guys will try to make their goods visible. Therefore, yours won't be visible as a customer cannot buy tens of different goods every day. If you don't sell anything, that's your problem. It's not Apple's problem. If you do sell something - you get paid. If you don't - you are not.

So a thousand dollars I mentioned is a somewhat realistic amount of what you could make with your first app IF you marketed it effectively. But you could end with 400$ in the first month and another 50$ each month.

If you can make a great game, you'd better stick with a publisher, watch what he does and go indie later, IMO.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Synaptic Wave, you are so patient! my respect to you
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Developer

Thanks, Marat. The Gasketball postmortem impressed me a lot so I'm trying to make jackdefrin be realistic.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM

I see what you mean.