Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Vector Star Brawl - Retro 2D Space Combat; supports iCade and Gamedock

My first iOS game has just been approved on the AppStore. If you liked games like Space Duel, Space War or Asteroids, do check it out. It's an Universal app although it works best on an iPad, especially for 2 players. It supports gamecenter (both achievements and highscores for the 1 player mode). Comments are welcomed!

BTW: if you like the music, you can download it: http://soundcloud.com/theforeignchar...or-star-brawl/

Last edited by makaGeorge; 12-07-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm a sucker for retro and vector graphics. Downloading now.

--DotComCTO
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Love retro games like Asteroids! Downloading now!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaGeorge View Post
(Note: Is there any trick to make the app info appear on the post?... thanks!)
It just takes time when I game first releases. Should be up in a matter of minutes or a couple hours at most.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Looks good so far, music downloaded!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
It just takes time when I game first releases. Should be up in a matter of minutes or a couple hours at most.
Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I thought I'd explain a bit about the controls, since some people told me they had a bit of a hard time with them...

The default controls use the left half of the screen for a virtual joystick and the right half to fire and use the special power. Firing is simple, just tap and hold and the ship will fire until you release. Double tap for the special power. Some powers need to double tap and hold while you want the power to be active (invisibility, shield and laser).

The movement is where some seem to get confused... When you tap, a virtual joypad comes up (you can configure its transparency level or make it disappear in the settings app). You drag the stick left/right to rotate the ship, counter and clockwise (respectively) just like in Asteroids. If you drag up, you accelerate. If you release your finger, the acceleration and/or turning stops. The same happens if you drag your finger back into the bounding box.

I find the easiest way to control the ship is to swipe and hold the desired direction for the desired amount of time, instead of keeping my finger on the screen all the time.

For those who'd rather have a separate button to accelerate, I added the option (accessible from the ship selection screen). This way the virtual stick can only be moved left/right to control turning. Acceleration is controlled with the Thrust button, and firing is now controlled with the Fire button.

The easy controls change everything. With them on you just use the stick to point at the direction you want the ship to go, and it turns (as quickly as it can) until it reaches it. Then if you don't have the separate thrust button, it accelerates until you release your finger...

Hope this clears up everything for those that had trouble...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Not really keen on this, kind of a disappointment to me, actually. Wasn't what I was expecting, controls are awkward, didn't like it. It's gone now.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Not really keen on this, kind of a disappointment to me, actually. Wasn't what I was expecting, controls are awkward, didn't like it. It's gone now.
Awkward in what way? Any kind of feedback really helps... I wasn't able to find many people that enjoy this type of games for testing purposes... I'm willing to provide more options if people ask for them... what would have worked for you? left/right buttons instead of the virtual joystick?

Last edited by makaGeorge; 10-04-2012 at 01:46 AM..
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Update Submitted: Retina graphics slow on iPad3

Just a note to let you all know that I just submitted an update to the game. It seems the iPad3 can't handle the same amount of graphical load using Retina graphics as the iPad2 with its lower resolution. (Note that I'm talking about software rendering).

I thought it was a given that the iPad3 would be equivalent in terms of speed to the iPad2, but the graphical power of the machine hasn't grown proportionally to the resolution... and I only had the chance to test the game on an Ipad3 yesterday. The game is playable but clearly not fast and smooth enough...

So I added an option to switch retina graphics on/off. More specificallly.... I've added an option to toggle resolution between four settings. Full resolution (Retina in devices that support it), 1/2 resolution (pixels are twice as big), 1/3 and 1/4. This means you can adjust resolution so the game runs at an acceptable speed even on lower end devices.

In addition to that, I also fixed a couple of GameCenter related bugs.

I'll post here when the update is live. If you liked the game but thought it wasn't smooth enough, do give it a try then.

Last edited by makaGeorge; 10-09-2012 at 07:43 AM..