Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
LordGek, I am well into my first "Classic" mode single player game in the new WordsWorth (thanks so much to the developer for giving me a promo code) and the new power ups are earned as you play. You accumulate points, and at the start of each new scoring level, you can select up to 2 power ups for that level if you have enough points available. I suspect the new power ups will lead to higher scores; my current game has gone for quite a while but I am not yet close to my best WordsWorth HD score (I played a lot).

I have not noticed any shops or IAP in the game and there appears to be absolutely nothing evil or devious about this game - just a ton of great content as in earlier versions but even better! This is definitely one of my top 2 or 3 IOS word games.
Good to hear. I did always give this one kudos for its unique way of earning some powerful bonus effects, like spell out a palindrome of a certain minimum size or create a word in the shape of a full hexagon and get some cool in-game bonus effect (I hope this aspect is still in there)!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Yes, all the old features are still present.

One of the things that really differentiates this game for me, is how long a WordsWorth classic mode single player game can last. Then as vowels disappear and hard letters get more common, the pressure ratchets up while chasing a new high score. Most of the other word games I have, lend to shorter play times, except perhaps the equally excellent WELDER.

Last edited by slewis7; 10-19-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Yes, all the old features are still present.

One of the things that really differentiates this game for me, is how long a WordsWorth classic mode single player game can last. Then as vowels disappear and hard letters get more common, the pressure ratchets up while chasing a new high score. Most of the other word games I have, lend to shorter play times, except perhaps the equally excellent WELDER.
I too LOVED Welder but lost interest once the gigawatts ruined gameplay allowing one to buy their score.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

99Games, what is the WordsWorth 4 English dictionary based on? It seems to include quite a number of slang words, abbreviations and non-English words. I don't recall the dictionary being this "loose" in the version of WordsWorth HD I played earlier.

I am in the middle of my first single player Classic mode game of WW4 and have progressed to level 29, which is by far my best WW score now. While the new bonuses are certainly a factor in achieving this, the game seems to accept a lot of bogus words that I would not expect most word games would take. In my opinion, this detracts from the game.

Also, clicking on some words I have formed bring up an internal dictionary entry and some bring up a Wikipedia entry which always seems to indicate the entry is not found. What is going on there?

Last edited by slewis7; 10-21-2012 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Added corrections, some more details and a bit of complaining
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Developer
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Default Thanks for the Review

Hi slewis7

First of all, thanks for providing your opinion on WordsWorth; we are glad you find the new features enjoyable

WordsWorth runs on 3 different dictionaries - SOWPODS, TWL & ENABLE. These are quite extensive dictionaries and have a huge collection of words. You could try and play using SOWPODS as it is the most elaborate and is actually the official WordList used in many Scrabble Tournaments worldwide.

We are also working on the internal dictionary entry and hope to fix it in a future update.

Thanks again and enjoy the game

Posted By
99Games
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Thanks for the explanation. Is there an online resource you can point me to explaining the differences between these 3 English dictionaries and has this changed at all from the most recent version of WordsWorth HD?

PS: My classic game is still going at level 31 and 500,000 points.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Is there an online resource you can point me to explaining the differences between these 3 English dictionaries and has this changed at all from the most recent version of WordsWorth HD?

PS: My classic game is still going at level 31 and 500,000 points.
YOWZERS!

Beyond great skill and a huge vocabulary, any of those new power-ups really helping you achieve this scary feat?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Absolutely; the powers up have extended this game. That and the fact that the game seems to accept just about any combination of letters I give it; OK, I am exaggerating, but it feels quite loose.

Last edited by slewis7; 10-22-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Absolutely; the powers up have extended this game. That and the fact that the game seems to accept just about any combination of letters I give it; OK, I am exaggerating, but it feels quite loose.
My wife and I are famous for this in digital word games, just trying all sorts of weird letter combinations that SOUND like they could be legitimate word (a pronounceable combination of consonants and vowels) and sometimes it sticks.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Some info on the word lists used by most word games (including Scrabble):

Tournament Word List, referred to as OTaCWL, OWL, or TWL, is the official word authority for tournament Scrabble in the USA, Canada[1] and Thailand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officia...Club_Word_List

SOWPODS is the word list used in tournament Scrabble in most countries except the USA, Thailand and Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOWPODS

ENABLE is an acronym for Enhanced North American Benchmark Lexicon, and attempts to combine several other sources, such as Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition and the OSPD in order to claim to be definitive.
http://everything2.com/title/ENABLE+word+list