Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Hey Alec, anything we should know for the icloud sync between iPad and iPhone?
I played the iPhone app on my iPad, and finished the game with it.
Whereas I only played a few levels on the iPad app.
Any risk of losing the full save?
i think I'll do a backup before trying the sync anyway lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsark View Post
Hey Alec, anything we should know for the icloud sync between iPad and iPhone?
I played the iPhone app on my iPad, and finished the game with it.
Whereas I only played a few levels on the iPad app.
Any risk of losing the full save?
i think I'll do a backup before trying the sync anyway lol.
Once iCloud is out on iPhone, it will automatically merge your two saves, capturing the best of both. It'll grab progress from whichever save is the furthest along, taking stars into account, and also merge all of your tower unlocks so you'll have the full set of all the towers unlocked in both games. We ran into issues with transferring coins and items, unfortunately, so those won't transfer at all - we'll be looking into this further, though, since it's kind of a bummer to not have those transfer.

We haven't seen any issues of game saves being deleted, but I'd recommend backing up your game save anyway. Make sure that you're using Game Center as well, since saves are linked to your Game Center account, which is also linked to your iCloud account.

Hope that answers your question!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAlec View Post
Once iCloud is out on iPhone, it will automatically merge your two saves, capturing the best of both. It'll grab progress from whichever save is the furthest along, taking stars into account, and also merge all of your tower unlocks so you'll have the full set of all the towers unlocked in both games. We ran into issues with transferring coins and items, unfortunately, so those won't transfer at all - we'll be looking into this further, though, since it's kind of a bummer to not have those transfer.

We haven't seen any issues of game saves being deleted, but I'd recommend backing up your game save anyway. Make sure that you're using Game Center as well, since saves are linked to your Game Center account, which is also linked to your iCloud account.

Hope that answers your question!
Wow, this seems to be a really really good feature, couldn't wait

Btw, what happens if a friend of mine wants to play my iPad and signs in with his Game Center account, do I still get to keep my previous game saves when I switch back to mine afterwards?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Edit: double post

Last edited by drloony; 10-22-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

They were always going to add IAP regardless of whatever AtomicAlec comes on here and says. It was already prepped for IAP even when they weren't there with how unbalanced it was and the difficulty of the easy mode. Now it is still unbalanced but will have the IAP plus a top end premium price. It's a good game but the dev is shocking. They say one thing, do another and then try to back track on what they initially said. All the time trying to 'win back the fans trust.' Such BS.

How stupid do they think people are? They get flooded with emails pleading for IAP?? So they expect us to believe that people pay 1.99/5.49, have no universal support, it has far too many bugs, then 'everybody' is pleading with them to add IAP so they can spend more on consumable IAP? Course they do.

Oh, and they have been fixing Fieldrunners 1 for iPad for about 20 months now. GOOD JOB GUYS!!!!!!!

Last edited by pavarotti2007; 10-22-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
They were always going to add IAP regardless of whatever AtomicAlec comes on here and says. It was already prepped for IAP even when they weren't there with how unbalanced it was and the difficulty of the easy mode. Now it is still unbalanced but will have the IAP plus a top end premium price. It's a good game but the dev is shocking. They say one thing, do another and then try to back track on what they initially said. All the time trying to 'win back the fans trust.' Such BS.

How stupid do they think people are? They get flooded with emails pleading for IAP?? So they expect us to believe that people pay 1.99/5.49, have no universal support, it has far too many bugs, then 'everybody' is pleading with them to add IAP so they can spend more on consumable IAP? Course they do.

Oh, and they have been fixing Fieldrunners 1 for iPad for about 20 months now. GOOD JOB GUYS!!!!!!!
yeah, with that track record - i'll be avoiding their crappy games forever
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

The devs have my full support.
It might not be the case with the Touch Arcade community, but it's actually true : players DO ask for iAP. And Freemium. It scares me a little bit, but it's a change in gamer's habits. Most or recent "iOS" players prefer a free game where they can choose or not to invest money &/or time, rather than a prepaid complete but unknown game experience.

Exemple of mail I receive:
"I love your game. I hope the sequel is gonna be free."
I don't get the logic, but still, some people want that. And as a developer there is something good to do with iAP. It gives more flexibility to the player to choose what he wants:
- Try the game: free
- More content: small fee for content
- Fan support: small fee for exclusive content

Anyway, I know I won't be heard here, but seriously, gamers here should be able to tell the difference between a zynga/glu/gameloft freemium game and FR2 adding "convenience-type" iAP.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeric View Post
It might not be the case with the Touch Arcade community, but it's actually true : players DO ask for iAP. And Freemium. It scares me a little bit, but it's a change in gamer's habits. Most or recent "iOS" players prefer a free game where they can choose or not to invest money &/or time, rather than a prepaid complete but unknown game experience.

I don't get the logic, but still, some people want that. And as a developer there is something good to do with iAP. It gives more flexibility to the player to choose what he wants:

Anyway, I know I won't be heard here, but seriously, gamers here should be able to tell the difference between a zynga/glu/gameloft freemium game and FR2 adding "convenience-type" iAP.
I could see a lot of people that want a game to go freemium. There are alot of people that are not willing to pay for games, and alot of teenagers and kids with no moneny that want freemium games, so I could see a lot of letters about that. About getting email for inapps, I could see people wanting inapps to unlock levels and such. Can't see anyone asking for inapps to add a coin system or something like that though. Kind of getting sick of the coin system lately. But I guess it works, cause there is awesome someone who will buy those inapps.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM

So, most of you folks seem to have heard the news about IAP already. I'm glad it worked out that way - I really wanted to get this story out there so everyone could get the discussion going before the actual update comes out, since it has neat content that I didn't want overshadowed by the IAP stuff.

I said it before and I'll say it again: It seems really, really crazy that people actually want to give us money for coins in-game.

The world is a strange place. The last email I received requesting IAP was from about 20 hours ago. Nuts, right? Why would you want to experience our game in a different way than we designed it? But if someone wants to pay you money in order to do that...

What are we supposed to make of that besides simply saying "yes"?

This is AFTER we tried adding coin bonuses for liking us on Facebook and Tweeting your score. I mean, we want to keep making games. The only way that's possible is if our games make enough money to cover the expenses of the last one as well as initial expenses of our upcoming projects (and bug fixes in the current game).

I'm honestly glad to be going through these things with you guys. It would be strange to experience all this without having these unique channels for communication. Very cool to have a place where I can talk directly with our fans.

The long and the short of it is that we haven't changed the game in ANY way. It's the same old Fieldrunners 2 it always was, except now a few people out there will buy coins, too.

Our team isn't really in to IAP when we play games in our spare time, so we totally understand your perspective. However, the fact that there was DLC in Mass Effect 3 didn't stop me from playing the main game. I still got Borderlands 2 even though they have a bevy of DLC coming out for that as well.

I think you'll all be pleased to know that no changes have been made - the game you know and love is just like you left it. Except this new update also adds an interesting new weapon, cross device iCloud support, 50% shorter load times, and tons of optimizations. It's really better than ever, and we've made ALL of these changes based on feedback from our fans.

Bums me out to see people here saying that they won't support us. I don't want this to make you feel that way. People were trying to give us more money which would allow us to make more awesome games. Should we have turned them down? I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this, since we want to give you all the best experience possible - your feedback is truly crucial.

On a side note, the original Fieldrunners for iPad has been fixed and just entered QA, so that's kind of cool. Expect that update to go out after it exits QA

Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeric View Post

Interesting, this definitely lines up with our experience. Glad to see other devs in similar situations.

Also: Wow, I am a huge fan of Squids! The turn based physics gameplay, gorgeous artwork, and interesting story really sucked me in! I haven't tried the sequel yet, but I need to get it soon Congrats!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAlec View Post
Our team isn't really in to IAP when we play games in our spare time, so we totally understand your perspective. However, the fact that there was DLC in Mass Effect 3 didn't stop me from playing the main game. I still got Borderlands 2 even though they have a bevy of DLC coming out for that as well.
What you're offering is not DLC though is it? I'm all for IAP for extra content/DLC etc as I don't think devs should update their games with new content for nothing. So paying for new maps etc is great but coins? Optional or not, this game is 5.49. Any IAP imo should be for content. A better way for you guys to cash in a bit more would have been just to add an IAP of unlock all or something similar. Consumable IAP in a game with this kind of price tag is not good.

You have said in the past that the price tag was high because you felt that it needed to be priced like that so you could keep making games and because it was a premium game with no IAP. So now that you have the IAP stream of income, will the initial price of the app change? Or are you having the best of both worlds?

Take a look at Tower Madness, the IAP model in that game is great. Maybe you'll learn something. I gladly paid 5.49 for that game, then paid 4x69p for 4 map packs and then a further 1.49 for the recent map pack and it was well worth it.

Last edited by pavarotti2007; 10-22-2012 at 06:42 PM..