Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashead2000 View Post
So you only hate it because you cant buy cars?...
Nope the first thing I noticed was no proper cockpit view then how empty the roads are, then had a police chase which lasted about 20 seconds and was no challenge or fun.

As well as that I don't like the handling or having to use the trigger buttons these are all my first impressions on the game, I'll try to give it a proper play in the next few days though.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
i know, thats why i told that its only on graphics matter. like it or not handheld power especially idevices are getting closer to console each year. next year vita already become an old underpowered gaming handheld (not the games, just the device). its really shame because i put a high hope on vita the first time sony put it on a demo year ago. lower resolution, missing real time shadow(on sfxtkn, and some arpg), low texture, and removing some effect just to make it at least playable on vita.

can you please record some video just to show where it suffer from drop fps? coz ive been playing ACL for almost 5hours now but havent seen any fps drop until what you've said before : slideshow(means like 1-5fps?)
Just running through town it dips below 20 FPS, and it never goes over 30 FPS. I think "slideshow" is an exaggeration, but it's nowhere near as fluid as the console or PC version.

I don't think it's a terrible game (unlike Uncharted and Resistance, which are dreadful), but it is kind of a mediocre mess -- which is reflected in the professional reviews.

BTW Sony called the Vita "a marathon, not a sprint." Unfortunately I think it's a race against time, with mobile devices catching up (and even surpassing) the Vita much faster than Sony could have anticipated.

Last edited by squarezero; 11-03-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post

BTW Sony called the Vita "a marathon, not a sprint." Unfortunately I think it's a race against time, with mobile devices catching up (and even surpassing) the Vita much faster than Sony could have anticipated.
The iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad 4 are theoretically on par or more powerful than the vita. The iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have roughly equally powerful GPUs (the iPad coming out ahead) and the iPad 3's is the same as the Vita's. that's not even counting the iPad 4 with 2x GPU upgrade...

Of course all this has to be tempered with the higher resolution, but still, mobile devices have surpassed the vita surprisingly quickly. I wonder how powerful the Vita actually is compared with the PS3, I heard last year it was almost equal, but obviously that's not the case with AC: L and NFS. It's a bummer really that AC turned out to be a flop, as it looked so good from the trailers.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
The iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad 4 are theoretically on par or more powerful than the vita. The iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have roughly equally powerful GPUs (the iPad coming out ahead) and the iPad 3's is the same as the Vita's. that's not even counting the iPad 4 with 2x GPU upgrade...

Of course all this has to be tempered with the higher resolution, but still, mobile devices have surpassed the vita surprisingly quickly. I wonder how powerful the Vita actually is compared with the PS3, I heard last year it was almost equal, but obviously that's not the case with AC: L and NFS. It's a bummer really that AC turned out to be a flop, as it looked so good from the trailers.
I think it's about equal when you take the screen size into account the vitas biggest problem in my opinion is developers doing the bare minimum and just not putting in the effort to push it in anyway. Sad thing is most people seem to think this is acceptable and the Vita will never get going until it stops, I'm really not joking when I say PSP games were better (not graphicly but in content and effort).

That said I think the worst vita games are still miles ahead of any phone games, when I see a phone game as good as something like wipeout I'll reconsider.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think it's about equal when you take the screen size into account the vitas biggest problem in my opinion is developers doing the bare minimum and just not putting in the effort to push it in anyway. Sad thing is most people seem to think this is acceptable and the Vita will never get going until it stops, I'm really not joking when I say PSP games were better (not graphicly but in content and effort).

That said I think the worst vita games are still miles ahead of any phone games, when I see a phone game as good as something like wipeout I'll reconsider.
I've had way more fun with games like Wimp than I've has with pretty much anything made for the Vita. Regardless. I bought the device to play $40-50 console-quality games and I have yet to. The fact that a Sony-funded full-price game has more content and better production values than a 2.99 indie title is unsurprising. But I actually have fun playing something like, say Bug Princess, while Uncharted and Resistance pissed me off and Gravity Rush just bored me. (To be fair, Wipeout could very well be a cool game, but I just couldn't get in to it -- races for me hinged much more on luck than skill). I can list dozens of iOS games that have blown me away; the only Vita one that reaches that height for me is Rayman: Origin, and that's a direct PS3 port.

Production values matter only if the game is actually good. Modern Combat 3 is a much better shooter than Resistance (and it even looks better); a piece of lint is better than Uncharted Vita, which I consider to be one of the worst professionally made games of this generation.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

^ Just out of curiosity, what PSP games did you enjoy and consider console-quality? It doesn't sound like the Vita is for you...
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
^ Just out of curiosity, what PSP games did you enjoy and consider console-quality? It doesn't sound like the Vita is for you...
I enjoyed many PSP titles, among them God of War (especially the first one) to Daxter, Trails in the Sky. It helped that I picked up many of those games heavily discounted, as that I expected them to be, well, PSP games. But since then two things happened: 1) iOS and mobile gaming in general; and 2) the Vita was marketed as a platform for console-level games ("nearly as powerful as a PS3" the hype went). Unfortunately, so far the device has not lived up to that promise (not even close). The games have either been super-casual titles dressed up like hardcore games (Uncharted), sloppy and poorly made (Resistance), or based on simple and uninteresting mechanics (Gravity Rush's combat). But I'm holding our hope for games like Sly Fox that are being developed for the PS3 and the Vita jointly. I like all kinds of games, and a handheld system fits my life much better than a home console. I want great games on the Vita, not overpriced watered down experiences. Being a fanboy doesn't help to improve the quality of games .
Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I don't know, I've felt like I've gotten my $40 worth with games like NFS Most Wanted and Disgaea 3. The graphics of a lot of current Vita games aren't that great, but the fun factor and content of the games I've bought are enough to justify the price for me. Honestly, I feel like iPhone gaming lost a bit of its magic ever since I got my Vita, but that's just me.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I enjoyed many PSP titles, among them God of War (especially the first one) to Daxter, Trails in the Sky. It helped that I picked up many of those games heavily discounted, as that I expected them to be, well, PSP games. But since then two things happened: 1) iOS and mobile gaming in general; and 2) the Vita was marketed as a platform for console-level games ("nearly as powerful as a PS3" the hype went). Unfortunately, so far the device has not lived up to that promise (not even close). The games have either been super-casual titles dressed up like hardcore games (Uncharted), sloppy and poorly made (Resistance), or based on simple and uninteresting mechanics (Gravity Rush's combat). But I'm holding our hope for games like Sly Fox that are being developed for the PS3 and the Vita jointly. I like all kinds of games, and a handheld system fits my life much better than a home console. I want great games on the Vita, not overpriced watered down experiences. Being a fanboy doesn't help to improve the quality of games .
Obviously you haven't played LittleBigPlanet or the new NFS, both very high quality and both have blown me away.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
I don't know, I've felt like I've gotten my $40 worth with games like NFS Most Wanted and Disgaea 3. The graphics of a lot of current Vita games aren't that great, but the fun factor and content of the games I've bought are enough to justify the price for me. Honestly, I feel like iPhone gaming lost a bit of its magic ever since I got my Vita, but that's just me.
I got my money's worth with Rayman: Origin. The jury is still out on AC.

Wish I like Disgaea -- the gameplay is right up my alley, but I can't stand the jokey tone.