Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr

iPad 4 GPU Performance Analyzed: PowerVR SGX 554MP4 Under the Hood

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/i...under-the-hood
Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Here are some more detailed impressions:

Walking dead was quite decent before, now it blows away console performance (from gameplay vids I've seen). Only the occasional skip. Me now want shadow effects, now that I see that the hardware is there.

NFS is excellent. Great physics too. Pity they decided to go track based instead of open world, they said it was because track based is more suited to quick bursts. Also needs retina update. And I'm really loving the licensed music.

IB2 was updated for the iPad 4...now runs at full retina resolution instead of halfway in between. Looks nice.

Bastion looks like its going at 60. Whatever framerate it is running at, it never changes in the least. Such a beautiful game in so many ways. If it isn't currently running at full retina I would love to see an update remedying that.

Wild Blood went from "barely playable and not fun" to "beating up hundreds of monsters in uber linear levels with only three weapons can be pretty fun, I guess". Pity the camera is so obnoxious.

MC3 is a smooth 60 (or 30 with absolutely no drops) on multiplayer...even with the server lag. Guess that CPU upgrade helped mitigate the terrible servers some.

NOVA 3...hmm. A huge res bump (not quite retina, though)+iPad 2 effects+new effects like full motion blur when turning quickly and depth of field for faraway objects, it looks really, really good. Like, amazingly good. And the performance is so much better, it's quite strange as when I tried it before updating to 6.0.1 it was awful. I can truly say that, in terms of graphics (except realtime shadows) it looks like a console. Strangely though, the depth of field and motion blur (extra effects that were added in addition to iPad 2 ones) are only present in one level, "Lost Ark".

Galaxy on Fire looks great at full 2048x1536, pity I'm not a huge fan of that genre. Still chugs when getting close to a space station, maybe an update will remedy that. Grabbed it because of a .99 sale.

Crazy Hedgy ran fine before, now it runs extremely smooth. Don't really know if there's a difference, I think the framerate is locked.

All I've tried. Busy currently redownloading and buying into sales, tis awesome. Can't wait for MC4, I'm assured full effects and a great framerate so I be happy

Also it seems quite a few games didn't run at full retina...now they do. So I'm seeing a MASSIVE resolution and texture quality bump in a lot of them (most notably MC3).
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Updated to iOS 6.0.1 — so much better performance with NOVA 3. Free RAM before updating and while playing Nove 3? 60-100mb. Now? 200+ Just as I thought, a software issue. It runs better than it did on my iPad 3 now, and god that motion blur looks so pretty, and everything with full retina just looks 2x prettier than most console games. Still, the framerate could be better.
But maybe with ios 6.0.1 Nova will run better with the new ipad too. I'll try to upgrade early next week to it and redownload nova 3 and see how it does with ios 6.0.1. I'm sure if you noticed a difference with the ipad 4 after update, we new ipaders will too. Just like with wild blood, it got a lot better for us new ipaders just recently. Let you know.

Last edited by Connector; 11-03-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
iPad 4 GPU Performance Analyzed: PowerVR SGX 554MP4 Under the Hood

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/i...under-the-hood
Wow, the gpu tests don't show as much as a gain as I would have thought. I wonder if this will be more of a limit than the cpu in 3d games on the ipad 4.

The cpu benchmarks are pretty impressive that I have seen, but this gpu benchmark isn't nearly as high as I thought.

But regardless, the ipad 4 is what the new ipad should of been to handle ipad retina graphics. But on the flip side, these graphic monsters are always 2 gb monsters that never stay on my new ipad long. So, really overall, not too much benefit.

Look forward to the ipad 5 though, really hope there are some drastic changes like 128 gb space, sd card, and wireless joysticks.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:

All I've tried. Busy currently redownloading and buying into sales, tis awesome. Can't wait for MC4, I'm assured full effects and a great framerate so I be happy
Thanks for your impressions, they really help since you had the new ipad before. A lot of people buying the ipad 4 are ipad 2 owners who never had a retina screen, so of course they would think games would be so much better.

I'm kind of surprised not to see any other posters here that sold their new ipads and got the ipad 4, thought there would have been some more. But I guess after all is said and done, it may not be worth selling if you are losing $250 which is half the price of an ipad 4.

Makes more sense to save that money for an ipad 5, next year. Will be really wacko if they release it this coming march like in the past. Can't see them doing it, but I could see a lot of people hesitating to buy an ipad 4 because of these fears. I know for me, it is in the back of my mind after all of my new ipad experiences.

Wonder after 6 months from now, will there be more ipad 4's out there or new ipads? Both models won't have as strong sales numbers as a true yearly model due to the short upgrade time, and unfortunately, ipad 4 is not being pushed much by apple. Relatively small fanfare, very few articles and press, just no visibility.

But you are right about Nova 4, while I know a lot of my 3d games probably run a little bit better on the ipad 4, from reading a lot of reports and articles, it is not night and day, far from it right now.

But 6 months from now, who knows, things may be different with games like Nova 4, but unfortunately due to disk space, I can only have about 3 of those games on my new ipad, so it really won't make a difference.

But I would love to see the difference in Nova 4 between the ipad 4 and new ipad. I really hope it is a night and day difference. Cause then, when I get my next ipad, I would have something to look forward to.

I can already see the Nova 4 thread, I bet you a lot of people will be debating if it is really "console ready" and hold it's own to the xbox360 best FPS games...

I sure hope so, even if it lags on my new ipad, or I have to play with full effects off.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Default iPad mini

I'm coming from an iPod touch 4th gen, and got my preordered iPad mini delivered yesterday. It's a big upgrade in performance ( must be the dual core and extra 256mb ram) all around, apps open a lot faster and multi-tasking is much zippier.

The real killer is form- factor, this tablet is nearly as light and as thin as my Kindle. I can comfortably hold it in landscape mode while gaming and the weight is nothing. Typing in landscape while holding it with both hands feels really natural, because your thumbs can actually meet and cross at the center.

This device meets all of my needs for upgrade: faster, bigger screen, can play the more high-end games (horn, lili, gof2, bastion...), but the non-retina screen means I still can't do without my Kindle in some situations.

This is my first iPad and I'm going to fully use my 14-day return period, before I make a final decision on iPad "4" or iPad Mini.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Really enjoying my iPad 4, it's my first iPad I have always had iPod Touches, and this by far blows me away. It is so clear and fast. It's an amazing device
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm wondering how Magic 2013 looks on the iPad mini. Wondering if the text is legible or if its too small or blurry without retina display.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Wow, the gpu tests don't show as much as a gain as I would have thought. I wonder if this will be more of a limit than the cpu in 3d games on the ipad 4.

The cpu benchmarks are pretty impressive that I have seen, but this gpu benchmark isn't nearly as high as I thought.

But regardless, the ipad 4 is what the new ipad should of been to handle ipad retina graphics. But on the flip side, these graphic monsters are always 2 gb monsters that never stay on my new ipad long. So, really overall, not too much benefit.

Look forward to the ipad 5 though, really hope there are some drastic changes like 128 gb space, sd card, and wireless joysticks.
It looks very promising to me. This is more a symptom of benchmark limits than anything else.

Compared to A5X, the A6X's GPU has a clock speed increase AND a doubling of parallel computation power (the SIMDs referenced in the AnandTech table). This can mean more shaders and more detail at a higher resolution than was possible with iPad 3. Potentially more than double the performance, if it takes full advantage of both the extra clock speed and all of the extra SIMDs. However, run at the same detail level and resolution, the game will just render a bit faster (not necessarily twice as fast, if it reaches fill rate, V-sync, or CPU limit)

So, with that in mind, GLBenchmark 2.5 is not necessarily pushing the envelope anymore. It's starting to hit the V-sync limit a lot and therefore not a great representation of the highest end games on an iPad. The off-screen benchmarks aren't very telling of its prowess, either, since they are lower resolution than the iPad screen itself (and therefore more prone to CPU limiting)

What I'd love to see as far as benchmarks go is something like Epic Citadel, but with the details cranked up way high. Or, hell, throw Crysis on there.

Quote:

NOVA 3...hmm. A huge res bump (not quite retina, though)+iPad 2 effects+new effects like full motion blur when turning quickly and depth of field for faraway objects, it looks really, really good. Like, amazingly good. And the performance is so much better, it's quite strange as when I tried it before updating to 6.0.1 it was awful. I can truly say that, in terms of graphics (except realtime shadows) it looks like a console. Strangely though, the depth of field and motion blur (extra effects that were added in addition to iPad 2 ones) are only present in one level, "Lost Ark".
If by not quite retina you mean not 2048x1536, actually it is full 2048x1536. Or at least it is in the few minutes I've tried it so far. It just doesn't have antialiasing, so you can see the jagged edges more easily. (For those who don't know what AA is, it's basically taking more samples of the 3D world to smooth the edges and make it look higher resolution.)

2048x1536 without AA can be spotted by harder edges, especially where the sky meets a building, or your gun. They would show sharp stairstepping and a very contrasty jump from one color to the other. As you look around, the edges of things like buildings might seem to have more pop, they are clearer. Games where the graphical detail is just too high to support AA at a decent framerate, e.g. NOVA 3, MC3, Asphalt 6, Air Supremacy, Crazy Hedgy, and now Infinity Blade 2. Crazy Hedgy is a funky one - it seems to render the world at full res, but not all of the effects, like the bloom, so it seems lower res to me.

The stuff scaled up from an in-between resolution has soft edges that never come to a sharp edge (there is a "halfway" color outline in the edges between the sky and the object, for instance). And you get undesired effects due to the less-than-whole scaling ratio. Not only do you get the popping edges from the normal aliasing that is a part of the rendering, but you also get a more pronounced moire pattern on sets of thin lines. Games that are currently scaled from a lower resolution include NFS:Most Wanted, Horn, and Lili.

2048x1536 with AA is the holy grail of omg-where-did-the-pixels-go. AA takes a lot of power especially at this high of a native resolution. I have only seen it in two high end games so far - Real Racing 2 HD, and Shadowgun. Undoubtedly more coming soon as more developers update, but these two, I think, are top notch examples already. That's not to take anything away from the titles that run 2048x1536 without AA. It's just a different set of compromises; lower detail/effects in exchange for the higher effective resolution.

Galaxy on Fire is actually a great way to demonstrate the difference between the resolutions, since you can change from 1024x768, 1440x1080, and 2048x1536. Sadly, it doesn't have an AA option (yet), but I hope it comes. In any case, 1440x1080 is a truly ugly resolution for the games to run, it bugs the crap out of my OCD when I see those lopsided pixels. The only reason I am glad that the iPad 3 had such a short reign as the top end iOS device, is that it will mean a quicker end to the era of those halfass-retina resolutions.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I own the iPad 1, the 2 and passed up on the 3, I know the fact that the processor and memory weren't significantly increased, it was simply the iPad 2 with a retina display.

As of the 23rd, I'd never been so glad to have waited.

As for what I think of the device? Well I was skeptical on the display and the speed, but I heard nothing but raves, and being that I wanted to finally pull my wife out of the dark ages and at least give her my iPad 2, and truly this WAS the device I wanted the iPad 3 to be..

So what do I think?

Well I DO strongly believe that the iPad 2 is still an incredibly powerful device, it's incredibly capable and it's clear that Apple still believes in the innards enough that they are still selling it, along with the Mini, which is basically the same stuff.

Now, while I believe that the difference between the iPad 2 --> 4 is nothing close to the difference between the iPhone 4 --> 5, it is CLEARLY a much, much, much faster device that blows away the competition hands down.

One thing that I see as a major differences that I noticed on the iPhone, is just how fast the spotlight search is in comparison to the iPad 2. I have a significant number of apps on my device, over 200 I think, and there was a significant delay when typing in the name of a program. That is far from the case here. It's blindingly fast in comparison. Again, while the iPad 2 wasn't the slouch that the iPhone 4 was, this says to me "THIS is how a tablet should feel!"

This is truly a device I feel will easily last 2 years, unlike the iPad 1, which felt sluggish right out of the gate. Do I wish this would have waited another 6 months? Sure, but as I said, this is how I felt the device SHOULD be.

Now, speed schmeed... This thing is all about the display, right? Wait, are we? It's the same device as the 3, as far as the screen goes. So HONESTLY if you have a 3, and aren't running hardcore games, it would be folly to upgrade now. In a year, there are likely going to be significant design changes. I have a strong belief that the screen will become 16:9 to match the iPhone 5 display, the speakers will be upgraded to stereo and the device will slim down by about 20%.

To me, none of those features are very appealing. All I care about is a fast processor and a high def display. The iPad 4 has that, in spades.

If you don't have a retina display, and really want one and are looking for what I am in a device, this is a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant device. It is everything the iPad was, but better in every way. I have never been happier owning an iPad. It IS, to me, the perfect device. I could not be happier with my purchase.

It's not cheap, the Nexus tablet is at its heels, and is a more cost effective device for sure. I would say that if you don't find yourself invested into the Apple ecosystem and would rather jump into a more unique and varied experience, look into the Nexus. But let's be realistic, you are here because you're invested in Apple, because you probably own way, way, way too many iOS apps as it is. And for you, for me, you couldn't get better than this, no way and no how.

And just to briefly touch on the Mini... I played with it for a while, and while it doesn't have close to a retina display, it looks REALLY, REALLY sharp. It's a dramatic improvement from the iPad 2, and I feels very cool to have a device that is every bit an iPad 2 with such an impressively slim form factor. I am very pleased with the mini, I love how it feels, I love how it looks and my kids are going to be thrilled with it come Christmas. Now I just have to wait for the Otterbox to drop in price so I can protect the crap out of this thing before it ends up under the Christmas tree.