Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 PM

I have about 4 GB free on my 32GB iPad 2. If I upgrade to the iPad 4 am I likely to need the 64GB size or would the 32GB suffice?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
I have about 4 GB free on my 32GB iPad 2. If I upgrade to the iPad 4 am I likely to need the 64GB size or would the 32GB suffice?

Thanks
Sizes won't magically double when you upgrade. A 32gb should be just fine, that is, in fact, what I'm rocking right now.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post

Thanks
I would recommend the 64 GB going forward for any device -- unless you only use a grand total of a few apps, or don't carry other content on the device -- considering all apps now have to include retina graphics anyway (or at least, those that are updated for iPad retina). Because Apple has no provision for apps only downloading the assets they'd use on that particular device, universal apps now take up more space because they have to include iPad and iPhone graphics at both sizes.

Besides that, you might find yourself wanting to use the iPad 4 harder than you use the iPad 2 due to the beautiful screen and greater speed

Case in point... I carry photos, music, podcasts, and apps on my iPad, and I have to pick and choose which of each, even on 64 GB iPad 3 & 4...I was mostly fine on my 32 gb iPad 2, but that was before the retina apps started showing up

Last edited by fury; 11-04-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM

just upgraded from the ipad 3 to the ipad 4. doing quick comparisons you do notice a slight difference. it was worth the upgrade to me as safari is a bit snappier also. the biggest benefit for me was the better wifi range. at work i can barely keep a signal in the office and now i have yet to drop the signal and even have 2 bars at times. overall it was worth it for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Updated to iOS 6.0.1 so much better performance with NOVA 3. Free RAM before updating and while playing Nove 3? 60-100mb. Now? 200+ Just as I thought, a software issue. It runs better than it did on my iPad 3 now, and god that motion blur looks so pretty, and everything with full retina just looks 2x prettier than most console games. Still, the framerate could be better.
Wow, oh my god!!!!!!

I upgraded my new ipad (ipad 3) with ios 6.0.1, and all my hardcore games are running a TON better!!!!!!!

Wow, I feel like I got an ipad 4 now!!!!!!!

Almost all my framerate problems are gone, and most hardcore games have more effects now!!!

This is kind of what I thought ipad 4 would be like. Even Virtua Tennis, the only game I had real complaints about before, has better resolution, ball streak is now smooth, and the framerate much improved!!!

Dang, so happy, didn't think 6.0.1 would do anything to framerates or effects.

Holy cow, it is so much better, everyone with a new ipad or ipad 4, upgrade to 6.0.1 immediately...

Even dodonpachi maximum is now running clean, and all the racing games including Asphalt and real racing are having very little framerate problems now!

I feel like I am in a dream, and somehow my new ipad got secretly switched to an ipad 4.

Wow, 6.0.1 must do wonders for you ipad 4 users. This is really cool. Totally unexpected.

I'm going to go try some of my FPS games like Nova and Dead Trigger now to see if it makes a difference in them on my new ipad.

Man, just a little difference in framerate and effects does make a difference. I wonder why 6.0.1 is making such a big difference? Jbruu noticed it in nova on the ipad 4, so you all must be experiencing this joy too.

Wowzers! Maybe my new ipad isn't as extinct as I thought, and maybe the ipad 4 is more console ready than I thought!

This is great news!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Wow, oh my god!!!!!!

I upgraded my new ipad (ipad 3) with ios 6.0.1, and all my hardcore games are running a TON better!!!!!!!

Almost all my framerate problems are gone, and most hardcore games have more effects now!!!

This is kind of what I thought ipad 4 would be like. Even Virtua Tennis, the only game I had real complaints about before, has better resolution, ball streak is now smooth, and the framerate much improved!!!

Holy cow, it is so much better, everyone with a new ipad or ipad 4, upgrade to 6.0.1 immediately...

Even dodonpachi maximum is now running clean, and all the racing games including Asphalt and real racing are having very little framerate problems now!

I feel like I am in a dream, and somehow my new ipad got secretly switched to an ipad 4.

Wow, 6.0.1 must do wonders for you ipad 4 users. This is really cool. Totally unexpected.

I'm going to go try some of my FPS games like Nova and Dead Trigger now to see if it makes a difference in them on my new ipad.

Man, just a little difference in framerate and effects does make a difference. I wonder why 6.0.1 is making such a big difference? Jbruu noticed it in nova on the ipad 4, so you all must be experiencing this joy too.

Wowzers! Maybe my new ipad isn't as extinct as I thought, and maybe the ipad 4 is more console ready than I thought!

This is great news!!!
Take a deep breath... now exhale slowly
Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
The Vita does not impress me at all. I have played 15 games on it and I prefer games on my new ipad. I'm pretty confident the ipad 4 hardcore games will beat it hands down.

Plus the retina screen is so wonderful. Plus of course all non gaming stuff makes the ipad sexy. And apps are cheap. Asphalt 7 is only 99 cents and personally I like it better than any racing game on the vita.

One year from now there will be more hardcore games that really utilize the power of the ipad 4.

I can't believe that no one has a new ipad and ipad 4 in the same family. Strange. Barely any buzz about the ipad 4 or even the ipad mini. Well, maybe things will change come xmas time.

I thought there would be a lot of sales of hd games after the launchs, but almost none. There was a lot of activity for the new ipad. I really thought the ipad mini would have a lot of activity, ipad 4 not so much. Strange there seems to be so little buzz.

I am going to the apple store on monday, but I figure it will be empty, then I can give some fair impressions of the ipad 4 and ipad mini.

I guess I'll get to see if the framerate is better in angry birds between the ipad 4 and my old new ipad. Just kidding...
Tastes differ between people. MANY people who prefer deeper games wouldn't look at the iPad as a gaming option. Controls are simply not as easy to use here, specifically for many action/adventure games. Virtual controls are simply, in no way, as good as hardware controls. I see a lot of people loving virtual controls, but anyone who says they're AS good is really, really fooling themselves. Because of that, it will limit the depth of games out there.

As of right now, from quality of gaming production alone, the iPad can't match up with even the Vita. I understand you don't like most of the games, but I believe you are in the minority there and the general population, when it comes to hardcore games, will prefer those kinds of handhelds to the iPad. As was commented on below you, the biggest issue is the depth of the marketplace pricing. Games seriously struggle at the higher price point. There are exceptions, but those are simply that, exceptions.

Other than Sword and Sworcery and some of the gameloft games (which tend to be VERY questionable in quality and IAP issues), there are very few developed with console budgets. Almost everything that is happens to be a port from another system, and "hardcore" gamers have likely already played them.

I think it comes down to expectations and experiences. I see the racing games on the iPad as nice, but they don't hold a candle to games like Forza or even things like Blur or the NFS games. Sure Asphalt might be fun, but for a hardcore racing fan, NOTHING can get close to the depth and eons of gameplay of something like Forza. As well, the multiplayer is a serious struggle on handheld devices, versus the depth of what you'll find on a console.

That said, it all depends on people's expectations. My wife never, ever touches gaming on a console, but regularly plays games on the iPad. But her focus are games like WELDER, Magic and such. She's a person who will play games while watching TV, anything "deep" isn't interesting, as the whole point is to just provide a bit of distraction while watching TV. The fact that there are a significant amount of people who use their iPad while watching TV, I think it's a market that's far greater than those who are serious players. Take a look at the top games, the vast majority of them tend to be casual games, and I think that is always where the platform will settle on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Doubt it, and i hope not. 4:3 is better for everything on a tablet, bar video and arguably games.

Despite Apple claiming otherwise (full screen video! Funny, they've never cared before), the only reason the iPhone went 16:9 was because it was an easy way to increase size without seriously impacting devs. If Apple could have sourced reasonably priced 4"ish 1920x1280 screens (doubling the 4's res) we'd never have seen a 16:9 iPhone.

Besides, I applaud Apple for not going blindly down the 16:9 route, they're practically the only purveyor of 16:10 laptops these days.

Also, have you ever held a large 16:9 tablet? I have, they're very cumbersome in portrait and the weight distribution feels wrong. Read some Surface reviews, they all say its unwieldy and uncomfortable in portrait. Admittedly, as these devices get lighter, this can be improved, but doesn't assuage the fact 16:9 is only really good at one thing, two if you include games.

2048x1536 will be with us for next couple of iterations I imagine. We're in the land of diminishing returns at this point and at this screen size. 2015, when there's a proliferation of 4K content, it'll be doubling time again methinks.
While I agree that the iPad may NOT go 16:9/16:10, I think a larger model MAY come available. That said, the fact that the iPhone stayed 3.5" for as long as they did shows that they are happy sticking with the status quo, to some degree. But then you see the iPhone and the iPad mini, which are changing the equation to a dramatic degree. No the screen resolution won't change anytime soon, but that doesn't mean other things won't come into play to tighten things up.

The next iPad will be thinner, without a doubt, have a better processor and maybe more memory. Again, though, I think with the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4, this is the top echelon of mobile devices. How much faster can a phone or tablet really be? Stuff opens instantly, pages load instantly, the screen is amazing... what the heck else do we need? Seriously?

Offering a widescreen version would fit in with the iPhone. The fact that they've provided a "widescreen" option for a phone makes me think that they WILL look into that for their tablet.

But hell, who knows. 2 years ago an iPad Mini was considered folly and simply stupid, and look at it now. Sure it's not as in demand as the full iPad, primarily I think due to the price and the fact that it doesn't match the screen resolution/processing power of the iPad 4, but it will still sell well enough to support Apple testing the waters on new things... new things maybe like a widescreen larger version.

Just think of it, taking the 4" iPhone and expanding that to a Widscreen iPad, at least as an alternate option that could be the future. Who knows. The next few years will tell us all.

Quote:
Wow, oh my god!!!!!!

This is great news!!!
huh... I can't imagine the minimal update really being that significant, especially when it was designed for minor bug fixes. I think more people will have to experience the before/after to really get a feel for this. Just look at the change notes, 99% of the fixes were for the phone, the iPad basically gets nothing from it. Maybe just the update process did something? At this point without getting more of a feel, I think that may be all it is.

To confirm - at least the iPad 4 comes with 6.0.1. I have the Mini hidden away, but I'd say with pretty much 100% certainty it's running the same.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post

huh... I can't imagine the minimal update really being that significant
It isn't. It's just that someone got a severe case of buyers remorse/mental brake down over the now extinct iPad 3 (AKA the ugly duckling iPad).
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
It isn't. It's just that someone got a severe case of buyers remorse/mental brake down over the now extinct iPad 3 (AKA the ugly duckling iPad).
Yes it is. Software can be just a big a problem as hardware, and NOVA 3 had am awful framerate on my 4th gen iPad until I updated my firmware. Now it's like butter, the multiplayer, even on MASSIVE maps like Badlands and the other lava/ice one is smooth as butter (framerate on par with MC3's) and running with full effects+retina. It's amazing what a simple software update can do, but it absolutely happens.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstone82 View Post
Take a deep breath... now exhale slowly
Well, now I am mad... Haha

Tried to delete fifa 12 to upload nova 3, and then my new ipad has gone crazy with 6.0.1. Crashing and won't start for over one hour. Havent even loaded nova 3 yet... So now I am on my iphone, man games on it seem so small... Sigh...