Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Frankly, I thought that even Gameloft's Uncharted clone, as crappy as it was, was a better game than Uncharted Vita. I've never felt as disrespected as a gamer by a developer as I did while playing Uncharted. Both Dead Space and Mass Effect (the iOS versions) are far better games than Uncharted -- they have better stories, better action, better combat mechanics, and far more challenge. The game pretty much encapsulates (and magnifies) everything that is wrong with contemporary console gaming. But it does look pretty, I'll give you that . And Sully is pretty cool.
Yep, we definitely played two different games. Both were pretty much completely stripped of what made the console versions fun to play in the first place. Mass Effect had such a completely forgettable story that I actually played the game with the sound off for most of it because the constant mindless banter just failed to make anything sound remotely interesting. The combat mechanics were pretty much none existent (tap on a target and the game does the rest for you... all you had to worry about was jumping in and out of cover) and as far as challenge, wow, has to have the most anti climactic boss battle ever! That guy that teleports everywhere was easier than most of the standard grunts. You can tell the same people made Dead Space because it suffers the exact same problems in terms of challenge, combat mechanics (which Dead Space gives you more control over) and story... though you could argue that Dead Space doesn't really have a great story even on the consoles. Hell, I even thought that the on-rails Dead Space game for the Wii was a better game than the iOS one. Both Dead Space and Mass Effect were also incredibly short in overall length too. It's a good thing they were just mobile games really because if those things were released as $40 Vita/3DS games, they wouldn't have gone down so well.

Also agree with others about Shadow Guardian, it's not only the worst Uncharted style game I've played, but one of my biggest iOS purchase regrets.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Frankly, I thought that even Gameloft's Uncharted clone, as crappy as it was, was a better game than Uncharted Vita. I've never felt as disrespected as a gamer by a developer as I did while playing Uncharted. Both Dead Space and Mass Effect (the iOS versions) are far better games than Uncharted -- they have better stories, better action, better combat mechanics, and far more challenge. The game pretty much encapsulates (and magnifies) everything that is wrong with contemporary console gaming. But it does look pretty, I'll give you that . And Sully is pretty cool.

Not trying to offend provoke anyone: I just have pretty strong feelings about that game. If you enjoyed it, more power to you. Personally I wouldn't use it a yardstick to measure Vita gaming against other platforms.
Well if you think the gameplay in Uncharted GA is bad, then you probably wouldn't like any of the other Uncharted games. I honestly couldn't disagree more about all those iOS games being 'better'. Don't really see how Uncharted's combat mechanics are bad at all- they are exactly the same in the PS3 games. I also disagree about the story being bad- it was a lot better than Uncharted 3. What bugs me about your comment, is you give no explanation at all- you just say it's a terrible game.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygamr View Post
Well if you think the gameplay in Uncharted GA is bad, then you probably wouldn't like any of the other Uncharted games. I honestly couldn't disagree more about all those iOS games being 'better'. Don't really see how Uncharted's combat mechanics are bad at all- they are exactly the same in the PS3 games. I also disagree about the story being bad- it was a lot better than Uncharted 3. What bugs me about your comment, is you give no explanation at all- you just say it's a terrible game.
Shadow Guardian is crap. But it was actually challenging in normal difficulty. Uncharted Vita had simply zero challenge, with a ridiculously overpowered (and repetitive) melee, idiotic AI (which responded to you taking cover by getting closer to you so you could use your ridiculously overpowered melee move on then). It gave you puzzles that literally solved themselves, platforming that was impossible to fail, a story that was both a blatant Raiders of the Lost Ark rippoff and made no sense whatsoever. To top it off, the game ended with probably the worst boss encounters I've ever played -- basically a sequence of mindless quick time events. The game was an insult to hardcore gaming.

I know that the PS3 games had similar mechanics, but they has the advantage of 1) much better stories; 2) incredible set pieces that made the environment part of the action; 3) way better level design; 4) much better enemy AI. Uncharted Vita played likethe developer had taken all the unmemorable and silly parts of all three Uncharteds and assembled them into a single game. To compare the PS3 games with the Vita version is like comparing the first Robocop with the direct-to-video sequels.

Man, you guys have put me on a bad mood. I'm now despairing for the future of console gaming, not just the future of the Vita.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Shadow Guardian is crap. But it was actually challenging in normal difficulty. Uncharted Vita had simply zero challenge, with a ridiculously overpowered (and repetitive) melee, idiotic AI (which responded to you taking cover by getting closer to you so you could use your ridiculously overpowered melee move on then). It gave you puzzles that literally solved themselves, platforming that was impossible to fail, a story that was both a blatant Raiders of the Lost Ark rippoff and made no sense whatsoever. To top it off, the game ended with probably the worst boss encounters I've ever played -- basically a sequence of mindless quick time events. The game was an insult to hardcore gaming.

I know that the PS3 games had similar mechanics, but they has the advantage of 1) much better stories; 2) incredible set pieces that made the environment part of the action; 3) way better level design; 4) much better enemy AI. Uncharted Vita played likethe developer had taken all the unmemorable and silly parts of all three Uncharteds and assembled them into a single game. To compare the PS3 games with the Vita version is like comparing the first Robocop with the direct-to-video sequels.

Man, you guys have put me on a bad mood. I'm now despairing for the future of console gaming, not just the future of the Vita.
Uncharted vita was un-challenging.. Haha. Looks like you can't unlock all the trophies
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM
iPhone 4S

Thanks to all these money apple has been making. All the devs are slowly starts to moving on to creating bite size cheap games with no stories. Hardcore games are probably gonna disappear in next 10 years at least for the consoles. Unless they becomes like pc
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinathin_x_X View Post
Uncharted vita was un-challenging.. Haha. Looks like you can't unlock all the trophies
Why would I care to unlock trophies in a bad game?

But thanks for reminding me of another reason hardcore gaming is dying.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Interesting article on Eurogamer:

Saturday Soapbox: Vita signs of life

Too bad I tend to agree with the first comment, if feels like Vita is the Dreamcast reborn.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

More Black Ops Declassified footage:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Why would I care to unlock trophies in a bad game?

But thanks for reminding me of another reason hardcore gaming is dying.
You can say its a bad game. And I can say the same to all these crappy iOS titles
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I'm really puzzled how most wanted is getting such good reviews everywhere it's lacking so much it's not even funny, there is no real car customisation , no decals, no custom paint jobs, you can barely tweak the cars at all, no buying upgrades all the cars feel exactly the same , no real story, no proper driving view.

How can this possibly be considered a good racing/driving game it's actually one of the worst need for speed games I've played, I'm actually trying to get into it as I spent 40 on it but so far it hasn't clicked at all for me.

edit: nevermind looking at user reviews it seems pretty obvious EA paid off all the main review sites, I'm sure the vita version is very faithful to the console but it's just a bad game between this and the stunt they pulled with Fifa I think this is the last EA game I ever buy.

Last edited by Teknikal; 11-04-2012 at 06:21 PM..