Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
That's really a pretty loose correlation with numerous potential confounding factors but whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you. Do me a favor though and stop linking completely cheap players and those who dislike freemium/paidmium. It's not that black and white at all. I would love it of iOS had more high quality/high priced games. I am nowhere near cheap and I dislike those models. I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one.
Thank you! I am in the same boat in that I dislike the Freemium model of games and would prefer to just buy my game right out. I am okay with buying content tgat extends a game but I am not going to spend money on virtual currency when you inevitably get into that struggle with almost every Freemium model game where the model starts to effect the fun factor or sets up pay hurdles. I spent about $20 this week on games and I usual spend about that much every week if not more on buying new games. Need for Speed, Galactic Phantasy Prelude, about 3 Krpgs I had been meaning to get, Fantashooting, 4 of the Kniezer Reiner games I had meant to get, Wall Street Titan, and I can't remember what else off te top of my head! If I buy an app and it has expansion content, you better believe I am buying that content!

I'll blow $20 on an app like TWEWY (heck, that week alone I spent $60 on the AppStore) so let's leave assumptions at the door that in assuming gamers are cheap. Some gamers want a proper gaming experience and not one that hinged on profiteering getting in the way of the gameplay. I'm a completionist when it comes to aming, but there is no economically sensible way to get everything in a Freemium model game without thousands of hours or tens to hundreds of dollars. It goes against my gamer mindset of "work to get every weapon or item"

Freemium I guess works for the Casual gamer, but not so much for the Core gamer. It's not about being cheap, it's about placing a value of worth on the product vice that amount of fun, work and inevitable frustration one will meet when faced when meeting that economic models push to want more money. The are very few Freemium games that I will tolerate it a a gamer no matter how fun the game initiall seems.

Contract Killer 2, Sci-Fi Heroes and Zombiewood come to mind of recent. All fun games. All games I deleted and refuse to play because they block the fun of ge game early and fast with paywalls. I have to pay real money for throwing knives and they are consumable? No thanks! Every weapon other tan the default is only purchasable with hundreds of IAP bucks yet a $4.99 bundle only nets you like 50 of those bucks in Zombiewood? No thanks! Conversely I threw $5 at Punch Quest. It gave me a pleasant game experience and didn't try to keep any of the game out of reach with a paywall!

I am a child of 70's I grew up in arcades. I expected the industry to move past this model, not come full circle right back to it, and worse, not on hardware they had to pay for but hardware I had to pay for! Give me a full game, no strings attached and perhaps sell me some content to expand that game and I will pay. Developers put themselves in this rut, not consumers. If developers stick together, perhaps form a guild and hold others to the tenants of making full games at full or at least modest prices, and held each other to it then perhaps things would change. If you constantantly give consumers the option of free they will choose free... As they should as they should be looking after their interests as a consumer just as you are as a developer.

Don't fault them for being reasonable... At the end of the day it is my duty to myself as a consumer to get the best price for the item for what I want for me according to how I value you it; not to ensure the profitability of someone else as that is their interests. It's only this new lurking mindset online that somehow we should feel bad and support the developer; they know the volatile nature of the market they work. I'm not trying to be mean rather just bluntly honest. As such the industry needs to change and find a new way to fund, collaborate and sell games without making them so disposable...

Last edited by Bool Zero; 11-04-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I don't see how developers put themselves in the rut, though. The App Store is a very consumer-driven market, and it's simply the nature of the beast that a vast majority of that market has declared with their wallets that freemium games and their like have some of the best chances of becoming profitable in a meaningful way for developers.

We can sit here and claim that we'd pay $10 for a "high quality" game until the cows come home-- but while I have no doubt that many people on this forum would back that statement up with their money, it wouldn't change the fact that "core gamers" don't have a strong enough presence on the app store to shape the course of the market as a whole.

I wish we did, don't get me wrong. But as things stand now, the writing is on the wall.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpha View Post
We can sit here and claim that we'd pay $10 for a "high quality" game until the cows come home-- but while I have no doubt that many people on this forum would back that statement up with their money, it wouldn't change the fact that "core gamers" don't have a strong enough presence on the app store to shape the course of the market as a whole.

I wish we did, don't get me wrong. But as things stand now, the writing is on the wall.
Totally agree, like you say we (core gamers) might say 'quite happy to spend $10 on a game' but the figures seem to suggest the vast majority would wait for a price drop/or free before getting the game.

I'm still stunned so many people wait for games to be free considering how cheap they are in the first place. Think companies should sometimes wait till they do a price drop, so many people assume they'll get a price drop a week or two after release they seem to wait.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

True to both above comments, I guess you guys are right. It does explain the Android market to which has a whopping 70+% of the games on its store which are free/mium... I guess there is no ground for us then, and wait as premium titles trickle and dwindle away more each day. Either I am to accept potentially great games marred by (IMO) by IAP digi-currency models or wait as premium games dwindle and begin to trickle away or worse move to this new model. I see this platform as a great one for gaming, but I also believe that if there was a bit of unity, an association to hold the industry to a standard than perhaps we would move past this. I still feel that developers somewhat put themselves in this rut though and compromise profitability over vision. You can recover from making a bad game, sure you may have to work for some one else, but it isn't like it was ten years ago where if your game company went under you were probably not going to find a new job in that industry any more. And that's speaking from personal experience. I guess I am a dreamer...

Last edited by Bool Zero; 11-04-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

I believe there is one simple solution to all of this.

Apple need to make the minimum cost of anything 3 bucks. That would fix everyones problem.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I believe there is one simple solution to all of this.

Apple need to make the minimum cost of anything 3 bucks. That would fix everyones problem.
Is it true on Android that if you buy a game you can get a refund up to a certain time afterwards ? (Eg 10 mins or more ?). So you can try the game out and if its rubbish you can then get your money back ? May be wrong just think its quite a good idea, like you can 'try' the game for a bit before deciding whether to buy it.

Do think games should be a minimum price (and no sales) but there is so much garbage in the app store (combined with great games) it would be good if you could 'try' the game for 5 or 10 minutes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

That's correct - I think it's 15 minutes. And it's definitely a good idea, especially on Android with all its compatibility problems.

My other inspired fix would be to change the developer license fee from $99 per year to $5,000 one off, up front.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
My other inspired fix would be to change the developer license fee from $99 per year to $5,000 one off, up front.
Your purpose for this is to limit the number of developers?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
'Kinda' get what you mean by that, it'll reduce the devs to larger companies but might hurt the old fashioned 'bedroom coder' type of 1 man band.

Still think the minimum pricing of apps should be higher
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
I'm pretty sure with that we'd never see games like 10000000 anywhere near the App Store.