★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

IAP open letter

11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
My other inspired fix would be to change the developer license fee from $99 per year to $5,000 one off, up front.
I'm pretty sure with that we'd never see games like 10000000 anywhere near the App Store.

Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
They should split it up like Microsft do on live into indie games and full scale games. Then people wouldnt expect everything to be $99c

11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
If the minimum price was set to a point where developer sustainability wasn't in jeopardy in the long-term, it would not only remove the "Wait for a 1$ sale" impulse, but it would also allow indies and giants like Square/MediaVision to coexist.

Really, it's the "Why should I pay for this now when I can work through my back-catalog for a month and snag it for cheaper/free?" line of thinking that's putting the App Store into a downward spiral. Get rid of that, and yeah, immediate profits might sink sharply, but in the long-term I think the market would be better for it.
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
That's correct - I think it's 15 minutes. And it's definitely a good idea, especially on Android with all its compatibility problems.

My other inspired fix would be to change the developer license fee from $99 per year to $5,000 one off, up front.
I kind of like that idea as well. Make the license fee a little more restrictive so that not every and any joe can throw together an app and make a cash grab at folks money. Thinks like the Pokemon incident wouldn't happen, or would happen far less if the license fee reflected it relegating it to developers who are actually serious about developing for the iOS platform.
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Then along comes EA to get it raised to $300,000 - you know, to get rid of the riff raff.

Terrible idea, block out small start ups so other devs can get a bigger portion? While I agree the prices of games are too low, I also know developers came into the market knowing that. Some go for low volume, higher price. Others go for volume with lower price. Money can be made otherwise you wouldn't have developers signing up at all.

Yes it is getting harder, but I don't think shutting out innovation is the solution.
11-04-2012, 09:16 PM
As much as I hate to say this, one of the only ways people are making lots of cash on the AppStore is by selling smurf berries. Going the social gaming route and playing off people's competitiveness and other social motivators seems to be the most sure fire way to make cash.
Developers seem to be seeing this and thinking they can make a good game and compensate for under pricing or lackluster sales by the inclusion of IAPs. I may be wrong but the idea seems flawed. Lacking any social motivation people probably won't be as inclined to pour money into the experience.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the inclusion of IAPs ruins a game, period. Depending on how it's done it has an ability to though.
I just hope that developers can find a way to make a living wage off making quality games without needing to resort to selling consumable currency to people.
I had hoped rocketcat had been doing that. They may not have been givin the new F2P release. I'd like to hear their take on this discussion actually.
I just hope the good indie developers on iOS ( rocketcat, rubicon, raptisoft, venan, etc ) can make a living without alienating the "core" gamers out there.
11-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
I'm pretty sure with that we'd never see games like 10000000 anywhere near the App Store.
Rogue Miner is probably the best game Ive played all week. You cant just say that that game shouldn't be on the app store because someone didn't spend thousands of dollars making it. How would that fix anything?

I dont think too many cheap and free games is the problem. Thats no different from the PC which is why I think if devs just charge what the game really costs and stick to their price they'd do just fine.

Last edited by 99c_gamer; 11-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
11-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Honestly, idgaf about iap. It really isn't a big deal. If a said game does have a pay wall (which I think is the only bad thing about IAP) then delete it and play something else. It gets really annoying when people turn down the game and automatically think the idea that it game is bad cus it has iap. Ever get the idea that yea, maybe it does include iap but you don't have to buy it to continue to play the game?? For example; punch quest , Mage gauntlet .
11-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juls363 View Post
Honestly, idgaf about iap. It really isn't a big deal. If a said game does have a pay wall (which I think is the only bad thing about IAP) then delete it and play something else. It gets really annoying when people turn down the game and automatically think the idea that it game is bad cus it has iap. Ever get the idea that yea, maybe it does include iap but you don't have to buy it to continue to play the game?? For example; punch quest , Mage gauntlet .
Totally agree, with so many games out there i just tend to delete and then move onto the next one if they have a crazy pay wall as you say.

Some people will instantly dismiss a game due to IAP's, i mean not all of them (As you say Mage Gauntlet, Punch Quest, Bullet Time) are 'evil'. I've played some of those mentioned a lot and i've never been 'forced' to buy anything. But as they have IAP's some people cant stand them or give them a chance which is a shame.

Not all IAP's are evil, about half are ! But the other half are just add-ons if you want to 'fast forward' in the game.
11-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Don't agree with this as it will cut out a lot of smaller developers. I probably wouldn't have made Plague Inc. if this had been around.

Maybe make it $99 per app instead of per year - this would reduce some of the lower quality stuff that gets churned out fast

Plague Inc. - Can you infect the world - over 200 million games played!

Check out the new and very cool cinematic trailer