★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
Phew!!
Finally made it through and got bronze. 1:17.81. No mods, didn't want to waste more money on them...
I have to say, you must be very good at this game.

I think one element of my difficulty with this game is the control scheme.
I tried tilt, but it just doesn't work for me at all in this game. Tried with various sensitivity adjustments to no avail.

The touch control is also terrible IMO compared to games like RR2 and the Asphalt games, it's just not precise enough for me, too twitchy.
I'm playing on the iPad, which may also feel substantially different than the iPhone.

Btw, some people here have mentioned that they save some nitro to be able to escape from the cops. How do you save on the nitro?
When I'm using it, it gets used up no matter what, unless I use the brake pedal, which I certainly doesn't want to do, especially not on the iPad, as it sits in the middle of the screen, which is near to impossible to reach while playing this fast and twitchy game, also, often the brake pedal on the iPad get falsely recognized as the steering wheel.

Give me arrows on one side, or an arrow on either side of the screen and make the drift like on Asphalt 7, and I think I would be a happy camper, and I think I would have a far easier and enjoyable romp on the Hot Rides section of NFS.

Well, now I finally made it through the Agera R Hot Ride, I can continue through the stages, at least until the next Hot Ride.
My trick is...never use nitro into sharp corner...and as a rule of thumb, I always use nitro coming out of corners. This maximizes its effect. I don't really care about the cops tbh. But yeah, if they're too hot on my tail, I'll burn the nitro up. But to get gold, I think nitro usage is supposed to be efficient, so no I don't use it against the cops. Just evade will do.

PS: Btw I use an iPad, not iPhone
11-05-2012, 05:57 AM
EA also have to think about the songs on the next update.
There are people who dislike rock n' roll.

Actually I hateeeeeeeeeeee rock n' roll!

And the only music that I listen in the game is Crosses - Telepathy,
which is exactly the last, what compels me every time pass all the songs to get there!

What could be done to make it more functional?

Last edited by Dan't Ponic; 11-05-2012 at 06:02 AM.

11-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan't Ponic View Post

which is exactly the last, what compels me every time pass all the songs to get there!

Just listen to your own music. Don't bash on music genres you dislike, they are just creating an upbeat atmosphere to race in.
11-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan't Ponic View Post

I've got the original Most Wanted's OSTs on my iPad and play all the songs on shuffle while im racing. Try it, it's fun

On another note, I like the touch controls much more than tilt. For me, it's more precise. And tilting an iPad isn't the easiest thing
11-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
Phew!!
Finally made it through and got bronze. 1:17.81. No mods,
Well, now I finally made it through the Agera R Hot Ride, I can continue through the stages, at least until the next Hot Ride.
Congrats

In relation to the iPad iPhone comment, there is a bit of difference in them. I've very different sensitivity options on them, higher on iPhone than iPad.

And I also had to increase sensitivity for the exotic cars simply to be able to react because of their speed, kept ending up in a wall by miss judging their speed in turns. Higher sensitivity in tilt controls helped.

Last edited by Rip73; 11-05-2012 at 06:31 AM.
11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Send a message via ICQ to makitango Send a message via Skype™ to makitango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Of course to your opinion, (don't confuse this with knocking your opinion, its not) but

1. World.
Making it open world is simply not possible on the devices. I'm sure many will now say that iPhone 5/iPad 4 are more than capable, and maybe they are, but in that case the rest of iOS gamers with older devices would be going a bit nutty.
Plus the game is in development quite a while so its only natural that they had a top end target and a low end target device. And the low end device definitely excluded the possibility of open world. Even the radial motion blur is only possible on the iPhone 5 so how could they possibly make the whole game open world.

2. IAP.
Iap is in no way necessary to complete the game. Yes, there is iap in it but again that's the norm on the App Store. The amount of surveys and data I've read in relation to the App Store and iap means that a large amount of buyers want the iap for shortcuts to get the highest gear straight away without having to work for it. It's a bit of a disappointing statistic to read but even when I've seen feedback on beta test games without iap, the biggest request back is to put it in because people don't want to grind and want instant ways to unlock.

In relation to them being consumable, well, the iap is designed to buys cars which are not consumable. The highest price for a mod is 8000 in the later races which have a minimum of 30,000 for bronze, so I'd not really think that can be called a consumable. Someone is hardly likely to buy 1 million dollars iap option just to get mods, they are more likely just to do a previous race. Or at least that's what they should do. And being low on cash for mods is not a problem I've hit at any stage in the game.

And surely its okay for game design to make you work for rewards rather than just give them to you easily straight away. What would be the point in playing a too easy game? There would be no satisfaction in it.

Point in case. The races that are difficult in this are the hot ride races. Many have mentioned their difficulty but then post about beating them and their satisfaction and pride is obvious (and justified) and I'd rather have that sense of satisfaction than just buying my way to victory.

3. iCloud.
iCloud is notoriously unreliable and actually quite difficult to code in at times. The number of people in the IB thread that have lost their progress through a bad iCloud sync seems to be pretty high.
Of course, at the same time, it would be nice to have a reliable iCloud sync but reliable is the key word. Something along the lines of what RR2 has would be nice as that has never let me down.

4. Origin.
The reason it's origin as opposed to gamecenter is because there is a much larger NFS ecosystem out there. People are likely to play on console, vita and iOS and would probably want sp for all to sync and that isn't possible with gamecenter.

5. App.
The app icon follows the branding of the game from other platforms. Branding has to consistent across mediums, otherwise its not branding.

In relation to the games look and feel. Well there isn't much to say to that really other than the graphics, effects, environment, controls, physics, textures and modelling all look fantastic to me (and most others) so I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder.

RR2 (and RR3) and this do not use the same engine by the way. It's all it's own original assets and coding. So it's not a remodelled RR2.

Of course, this is still only my opinion as well, so both of us are correct in our respective ways. I simply can't agree with yours.
I accept that there are some things about the game that people would change of course, but in the context of the platform and the games purpose, I think it's brilliant and is massive fun, so I'm happy.

Edit. Sorry for the length of the post.
Thanks for your posting, and thanks for the length!

1. World
I do agree with your device strategy stance, but I do not agree with the potential you dedicate to every respective device. RR2 was balanced and promoted with an iPhone 4, and it was the same flawless game experience on my 3GS (I now have an iPhone 4S). Talking about motion blur, too - it was possible on my 4S in Galaxy on Fire and in Riptide GP, and I'm sure it is on an iPhone 4 and maybe even an 3GS. I'v had an iPod Touch 2Gen a long time ago, and it worked like a charm even on 3D strong titles. If you can pull an Unreal engine on such "old" devices, you know it's all about the software.

2. IAP
It's okay if it does not make an IAP-free progress more grindy, but that it is. So IAPs are no longer cheats or shortcuts but rather essentals. Have you played NFS:MW back in the days when the game was balanced around itself and itself only? This is what I call an ecosystem. If you add IAP to this, I'd be even happy to use them just to support the publisher (I strongly doubt the devs under the EA hood ever see any IAP returns, since EA is all about $$ these days).

3. iCloud (or iCould, if you'd like a joke ^.^)
I have never had any problem with iCloud, but of course that doesn't speak for the rest. From what it sounds like, it is only Infinity Blade which might be popular with corrupt iCloud savegames, and I even believe I know why. The first reason is its poularity, that's why there even can be so many. The second thing is that many people like downgrading their apps to a pre-IAP or a pre-crash solid app state to have a more fun app to play with, and savegames from a newer version are most likely altered to content and data strings which in the older versions did not exist. The third thing might even be bad code.
So I believe that if a savegame is already in the cloud, it is reliable as long as Apple has its data centers online.

4. Origin
If EA can't import from Origin and back without enabling Game Center, I'd go all-in with bad code. There's plenty of dudes importing from OpenFeint to Game Center/iCloud and back again, and OpenFeint is even a 3rd party plugin. Origin is of EA's origin (...) and they barely seem to understand it themselves.
Besides, Origin is a strongly disliked platform for many reasons, so on iOS it is kind of disgusting to avoid Game Center (which is mandatory to the iOS community, and now even Mac). After all, it seems more "political" to me since EA wants so much of themselves everywhere which is why there is so much more going on in their intros than in any other app one's.

5. App
Icon: Of course it is inconsitent to alter the icon apart from the other platforms's icons. However, they did wrong with this icon to begin with, and I doubt the other platforms have to deal with icons that much, so this does not seem clear to me. All I see is a cover bitmap which is downsized, but every text and brand has to be put in, too. It is too much information and the icon does not look iconic, not to mention beautiful. If anything, it is informative, but one does not instantly recognize that it is about the MW title of the NFS series when not reading. And reading in an icon is gross and stupid and does not have anything to do with icon design.

Graphics:
It is even the case on the screenshots that besides the most prominent models (cars and important scenery/objects), most textures are damn blurry which is a sign of poor dedication to minor textures (which ironically are more present than the prominent object's textures). Now I do know that Infinity Blade and other Unreal engine-powered games are more or even completely static, but that doesn't mean that the competition to that powerful engine should advertize themselves with washed out textures just because the gamer is moving fast.

Engine:
I have read that this engine is identical to Real Racing 2's engine, since EA didn't have a decent engine for their previous iOS titles and they wanted this engine so badly for their long planned NFS:MW iOS version. But if you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy to be so. And yes I know, the Real Racing 3 engine is a totally new chapter. But one should not forget, EA Firemonkeys is Firemint with EA strings.

And I am also sorry for the length, but this has turned out to be an informative conversation. ^.^
11-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitango View Post
Engine:
I have read that this engine is identical to Real Racing 2's engine, since EA didn't have a decent engine for their previous iOS titles and they wanted this engine so badly for their long planned NFS:MW iOS version. But if you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy to be so. And yes I know, the Real Racing 3 engine is a totally new chapter. But one should not forget, EA Firemonkeys is Firemint with EA strings.

And I am also sorry for the length, but this has turned out to be an informative conversation. ^.^
Ha, I think we're definitely getting award for longest posts.
I'll keep mine shorter this time. You're points are again valid but I still have to stand by my previous opinions (hence why this will be shorter I suppose). I certainly do see your points though.

In relation to the engine specifically, it has been stated by Firemonkeys that's its a new engine with no shared assets.
As for the source, well it's the dev and I've no direct paper that I can reproduce or link but it was stated at the E3 previews of the game earlier in the year. Plus the game started development before Iron Monkeys and Firemint merged (even if they were both owned by EA at the time).
I think the dev said so in the upcoming thread for the game as well.
However, I shall check some info I have and see if I can find a link to post. I'll probably just ask at the source and let you know the reply.

Last edited by Rip73; 11-05-2012 at 08:16 AM.
11-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Bugatti Time Trial - Gold

Mods Used :
- Power Pack
- Last nitro pack

Trading Contra Evolution,TweetBot,Bastion ,Bloons TD5 and Sonic CD for Amazon Gift Cards

11-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeNeI View Post
Bugatti Time Trial - Gold

Mods Used :
- Power Pack
- Last nitro pack

YouTube: video
Well done!
11-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsam80 View Post
Well done!
P.S.For better cornering I set the control sensitivity to max.

Trading Contra Evolution,TweetBot,Bastion ,Bloons TD5 and Sonic CD for Amazon Gift Cards