Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 AM

Default Free-app-a-day

Hi-
I am a mobile game marketing newbie who has to work out a marketing plan...Someone told me that the best way to boost up downloads is using free-app-a-day. Will someone give me a recommendation of FAAD channels that you worked with before? How did it work out for you? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks! This is really a great help! Now at least I have an idea of where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinQsta View Post
Depends on the price of your app... if it is free that FAAD will cost you $6000.

The marketing plan should consist of:
a) Optimisation of your app in the app store - making sure you have a brilliantly designed icon, use good keywords, and having captioned screenshots that tell a story.
b) Pre-launch marketing - approaching review sites such as 148apps, PRMac, TUAW etc to cover the app exclusively from pre-launch to launch. Then approaching others to review it so that the first 3 days are successful and boost your visibility on the app store.
c) Creative posting of your app on facebook and twitter to get followers and keep downloads coming in.
d) Find a reason to update your app once a month to keep users engaged.
e) Keep reviews being posted by appropriate sites, run a blog about your app and/or website, and keep this going for around 3 months.

THEN assess your success against the targets you have. If it is not doing well in your category, approach a site like FAAD or App-o-day. The reason is that if it is a paid app, you do not want to devalue the quality by making it free straight away. Anyway, most of the steps above are completely free ways to boost downloads.

I have found that spending money leaves you in no better position than you would have been doing it yourself.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
b) Pre-launch marketing - approaching review sites such as 148apps, PRMac, TUAW etc to cover the app exclusively from pre-launch to launch. Then approaching others to review it so that the first 3 days are successful and boost your visibility on the app store.
I got to agree with you. Pitching your app to different review sites will be beneficial as your app will get more exposure (and hopefully downloads).
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Market Your App with GreatApps.com

Hi,

This is a great post.

To all app owners and developers, the free ways for you to get noticed is mainly for credibility not for the acquisition of new users/downloads.

Review sites are very short term spikes (if any) and you are completely forgotten about after a few days. It is also like playing a lottery ticket being in the world of the unknown but hey its free so why not right?

The other paid programs are EXTREMELY expensive and most cannot afford it.

If someone needs the help and advice, feel free to contact me at Aron@GreatApps.com.

Best of luck with your app marketing endeavors.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

We used Appgratis.com for our first game and they turned out to be pretty good. And it was free. They have different sections for different countries though so I would recommend that you try and get featured on all of their international sites at once. We were only featured in Brazil and Spain but apparently their largest user base is in France. However we still managed to get 15,000 downloads in 24 hours so that wasn't too bad.

An additional tip is to make sure that you have something like Appfigures hooked up so that you can track how well your game is going in the international markets as iTunes Connect is a bit rubbish.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to gambitph

Appgratis.com looks promising. But from what I can get from their sites, you'll have to set your price to free for them to feature it? I'm going to email them
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Yeah you have to go free for a day. But it is a good way of getting your game into the hands of users. It can help with your iTunes rating as well because even though they have downloaded it for free, they can still rate it (unlike promo code users). It can also lead to paid downloads via recommendations. After our free day we had a bump of around $200 worth of paid downloads, so every bit helps
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Great apps,

My app is on your website, I have paid for the highest level of service, and I have received no downloads through your webpage despite being on the spotlight app on your website.

I'm sorry to say there has been very little value in using Great apps.

Regards
Mike
Interesting they havent responded yet !

Just took a look at greatapps.com, sorry but to me its not 'great apps', its more like 'heres a list of not so well known apps who have paid us....'.

Sending promo copies of your games to the many various app sites for reviews is a good idea. Thats how i tend to find games
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
iPhone 4

As someone said below, you can get really good CHEAP results with SEO of your keywords.

We've seen our downloads improve a lot every time we've optimized keywords. Also, if you go free and don't tell anyone, you'll get great downloads for a day. This is because of all the automated crawler sites that report new free apps. You just need to be smart about how often you do promos like that.

So if you want to be budget-conscious, there are a few things like that you can do. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Hi,

I contacted the folks at http://www.apprewardsclub.com and they were willing to feature my app free for a day on their site this Sunday.

I contacted AppGratis, but they request a 1-1 click promo (so for every download they give you, you have to generate a download of their app, via ads).

Putting the app for free for 1 day with no other promotion, didn't work for me. I get an okay amount of free downloads (about 200) but the next day I have no improvements on my sales whatsoever.

It seems ASO (APple Store Optimization) is very powerful. I am trying appcod.es to get keywords, but I must say it is not an easy process. I will try the keywords for my product launch, hopefully it'll work

Jorge