★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Everything you say is true, but it's also exactly why I'm passionate about the game. Most freemium builders have moved to the all carrot, no stick approach, e.g. DragonVale. These are great little time wasters but there is no game there in the classic sense of risk vs. reward. Do pretty much anything and you "win", do nothing and everything remains exactly the same - you have to pretty much go out of your way and take deliberately stupid actions to harm your progress in any way.

What I think MV is doing that is unique(ish) is that it returns to having actual penalties for not keeping up with your virtual world, but goes beyond the FarmVille trope of just spoiling everything you invested if you dare put the game down. It's much more in the vein of ignoring your base in an RTS: resource nodes do run out after a few days and you need to move the gatherers, you do need to make "guns or butter" choices about whether to assign someone as an inventor or envoy, whether to take the time to build up a social network of exchanging envoys or going it alone (more micro but generally rewards with unique bonuses vs. less micro but strictly predictable reward), you need to see to keeping the herd strong. It is definitely not something you can put aside for a week and come back to without penalty, but it's also light years beyond tapping on 50 farm plots, choosing the next crop, and doing it again 2 hours later. There are some timer based tasks (e.g. sending envoys to other villages), but they are a small subset of the tasks and can be participated in minimally (you will need to send enough envoys to get gold but otherwise you don't need to take part in this).

So, no, it's not a game for everyone, but if you are the sort who likes freemium builders and wants to try something with more substance than Tiny Tower or Happy Street, it is well worth the download.
Yes I totally understand what you're talking about. I think I really game differently depending on what I play. I can sit and play a huge session of Borderlands 2, or stay in training mode for hours just finding new tech in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But I also love freemiums, except I do tend to go towards something that I can get in and out of really quickly. I feel we both have the same feeling about the game in that it does try to surpass the average freemium model, but it's more the player that separates why I dislike it and why you're in love with it.
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
The breeding mechanic seems fun. They'd have to die after a few days for it to work, or else you'd end up with too many. I will see how it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Still, if anyone is interested in checking this out, you can find my village at username "ChipVille" in game
I sent you two meegos, they are low level though. I'll treat any you send back with love and care, like they were my own...

11-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
The breeding mechanic seems fun. They'd have to die after a few days for it to work, or else you'd end up with too many. I will see how it goes...

I sent you two meegos, they are low level though. I'll treat any you send back with love and care, like they were my own...
Creepy... Lol
11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
Ah, I wondered why someone sent me 2 out of the blue (guessing you're Arkham), I'm used to lots of solo visitors. I will be sure to send some workers your way when my envoy's return/stop raising babies.

I'm trying to work toward getting definite castes of true breeding thinkers, envoys, and laborers. The upper tier birthstones provide their own wrinkle to this goal.

Reds only appear as a mutation from Meegos with Blues, Purples only appear as a mutation from Meegos with Reds. Devs have confirmed there is at least one undiscovered Red, and hinted there are or will be more Purples (only the Sun is known currently).

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Anyone know what the various "moods" of the totem are? Apparently there is certain bonuses you can get by doing things for certain moods of totem, but i cant figure it out.
11-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKhan View Post
Anyone know what the various "moods" of the totem are? Apparently there is certain bonuses you can get by doing things for certain moods of totem, but i cant figure it out.
The graven is either happy, sad, or outright mad. You don't get bonuses per se for keeping him happy, but you sure do suffer a gathering rate penalty for making him mad. So long as your villagers are kept fed (either because food gathering is positive or you have so much stock piled that even with the current deficit it's some significant length of time - think it's anything more than 24 hours worth of food but I've never tested it to work out the exact stockpile you need - before your villagers will go hungry) he will be happy. Once you reach a point your stockpiles of food are low and gathering is in the negative, he goes sad (still no penalty). Then, if you actually let your villagers go hungry, he goes old testament and starts spitting fireballs around the village that cause workers to go slower than normal.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
12-07-2012, 10:10 PM
There have been two big updates since I last posted that have improved the casual friendliness quotient, given the hardcore more to strive for, as well as brought the winter holidays to the volcanoe.

- A big change is there is now an option to resurrect the dead Meegos for free but with a 50% stat reduction. You still can't set the game down for more than a few of days without penalty, but this is a friendlier option for dealing with a Meego wipe out than the binary choice before of either starting your gene pool over with brand new Meegos or paying 8 skulls a resurrect (that option is still there, but you get the Meego back with full stats).

- Leaderboards are now more comprehensive, tracking all four quantitative aspects to the game (total mojo, average villager strength, intelligence, and charisma). Meego herd management is now going to be even more complicated if you're chasing the leader boards (/raises hand)

- Game name has been changed from Meego Village to The Meego (currently, The Meego: Holiday Edition) to emphasize the game's focus

- Holiday theming and music with more stuff being rolled out server side (at least that's the implication of dev statements on their forums) over the next few days.

05-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Wondering why this never got much attention I played it a long while back and it was pretty good besides needing a constant connection
05-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste86uk View Post
Wondering why this never got much attention I played it a long while back and it was pretty good besides needing a constant connection
I can sum up the principle failure of the game's design: ZERO long term vision for the game.

With space and population being so finite and limited, all you were left to do after a while was breed to improve stats... which could have worked for an endgame if they'd bothered to give you something to do with those stats, but all you could gain from raising stats was amassing resources slightly faster, but you couldn't use the resources anyhow so what was the point again?

They kept people hanging around waiting for the promise of new areas to explore... and then when the update finally came out with the Turtle's Grotto you wondered how it took so long since it took them 4 months to do something that I'd wager Foursaken could have done over a few lunch breaks. It was just a pointless timer "mini game" that took more resources to play that it yielded and was of zero utility to longer term players. The single highlight of the "biggest patch ever" was a quick turtle fart joke that was only amusing once.

Then they kept monkeying with the villager lifespan stupidly concluding it was the 120 hour lifespan of villagers that was keeping the game from succeeding vs. their complete inability to imagine anything more than people contentedly paying money to check in on a builder sim where you couldn't build. When they did this they wound up ruining the one thing that was keeping people playing and by the time they changed it back I'd already given up in disgust at how they could take such a cute premise and run it into the ground so soundly.

Last edited by C.Hannum; 05-21-2014 at 09:23 AM.