Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
It's rather interesting to note how many methods there are to backing up game data so not including this feature in iTunes is something Apple should revisit.

Maybe Apple are protecting their developers but certainly those who want to access game files for whatever reason have enough access to tools on the Internet?

I think it's also fair to state that the exercise of using programs to extract data in order to backup game saves also brings people closer to potentially pirate or misuse the application?

RodGreen, as a developer, you think that's a fair comment to make?
1) iCloud backup does save app data. It's not 100% effective (last time I replace my phone there were a couple of games that did not restore) but in general it works.

2) There are several file navigation tools available for non-jailbroken phones. Someone already mentioned iExplorer (which is free) but I much prefer PhoneView, which costs about $20. With these applications you can easily and safely copy an app's Documents folder and backup your progress; to restore it, just dump the contents of the Document folder back on the new Documents folder of your app once you reinstall it.

3) Apple has created several ways for developers to incorporate data backup into their apps, including iCloud saving and iTunes file transfer. I know some developers have run into problems with iCloud syncing, but that's no reason to skip other more reliable methods.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
iPad mini 2

I use iExplorer to back up my saves. No jailbreak required. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
1) iCloud backup does save app data. It's not 100% effective (last time I replace my phone there were a couple of games that did not restore) but in general it works.

2) There are several file navigation tools available for non-jailbroken phones. Someone already mentioned iExplorer (which is free) but I much prefer PhoneView, which costs about $20. With these applications you can easily and safely copy an app's Documents folder and backup your progress; to restore it, just dump the contents of the Document folder back on the new Documents folder of your app once you reinstall it.

3) Apple has created several ways for developers to incorporate data backup into their apps, including iCloud saving and iTunes file transfer. I know some developers have run into problems with iCloud syncing, but that's no reason to skip other more reliable methods.
I use IExplorer on a non-jailbroken device. I've lost progress countless times, with only a few games (IB2, GOF2) truly backing up saves to iCloud as files to store as opposed to just using those files to push to other devices.

My question is: how often does the saved data finction when an app gets updated? Especially now, when it seems like most "live" apps get updated once a week, if only to keep them in the new release charts.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm looking for something like this. Will check it out later. Unreal from a company like apple that they can't sort out something to save apps progress. Or they just want to get people to buy more of there devices but with higher storage.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Are you guys backing up just the document folder in each app or copying the whole app folder to you computer?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM

Haha. It greatly amuses me to see some of the responses in this thread. Apple doesn't want you to have control over those files. It is not an omission, like the other ten thousand locked down control fiascos this is very deliberate on their part. It is a sick joke to be forced to endure the nightmare of iTunes to have *any* access to your device.

Apple only backs up what apple chooses to back up, and people who use camera+ without making sure to export their pix are in for a very rude surprise if they update iOS or break their phone or whatever - as an example. I love iOS gaming but the way apple continues to force laughable and draconian control over their devices is disgusting. They lie about everything, and even jail breaking only gives you a shred more access to your own hardware.

Note II master race reporting in.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
Are you guys backing up just the document folder in each app or copying the whole app folder to you computer?
Documents and Library folders. Sometimes a restore only works with the docs folder, sometimes the Lib folder, and on rare occasions, both.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

deleted

Last edited by Andrey1610; 12-16-2013 at 10:53 PM..