Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Alex, I went from iPad 1 to a 4. It was a great update.

One thing to keep in mind when restoring from your iPad 1 backup, is that in-app purchases are NOT copied over. Your apps and data files are copied over, but any in-app purchase must be redownloaded. You won't have to pay for the download.

I've been playing both Arc Squadron and GoF2 HD. Beautiful. GoF2 looks amazing and I thought it was extremely smooth. Someone earlier mentioned it wasn't hitting 60 FPS. Could be, but I'm early in the game so minimal number of enemy AI at this point. Just out mining mostly.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
I haven't upgraded my phone to iOS 6 simply because they took out the New Releases section from the App Store.
My entire family went through that list every so often to discover new games and apps worth downloading, now they don't buy anything at all. Congrats Apple.

The iPad, of course, has iOS 6 pre-installed.
Interesting. I didn't realize they had removed that. Have you seen any explanation as to why they would do such a thing? Like you mentioned, seems like it would hurt sales for those who keep up on new releases.

EDIT - There is a section in the app store on the featured tab, titled "New and Noteworthy." Is that not the same as the old "New Releases" section, Echoseven?

Last edited by SlightReturn; 11-08-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightReturn View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize they had removed that. Have you seen any explanation as to why they would do such a thing? Like you mentioned, seems like it would hurt sales for those who keep up on new releases.

EDIT - There is a section in the app store on the featured tab, titled "New and Noteworthy." Is that not the same as the old "New Releases" section, Echoseven?
The New Releases section in iOS 5 shows all the releases of the past day, whenever Apple push through all the freshly approved games.

New and Noteworthy is a featured section where the apps are hand-picked.

The closest thing with iOS 6 is a "new" list for each category (eg Action, etc), but that's just not good enough. I'm not going through a separate list for each category, so I'll permanently keep my phone on iOS 5.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
The New Releases section in iOS 5 shows all the releases of the past day, whenever Apple push through all the freshly approved games.

New and Noteworthy is a featured section where the apps are hand-picked.

The closest thing with iOS 6 is a "new" list for each category (eg Action, etc), but that's just not good enough. I'm not going through a separate list for each category, so I'll permanently keep my phone on iOS 5.
Gotcha. I never really looked around in that section before, but now that you've explained it, I wish I would have. Probably missed out on a lot of cool stuff that would've crashed my iPad1, but I could've enjoyed now on iPad4.

I agree that going through each category is not a viable compromise. Hopefully they'll get a bunch of complaints and eventually add that section back in a future update.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Alex, I went from iPad 1 to a 4. It was a great update.

One thing to keep in mind when restoring from your iPad 1 backup, is that in-app purchases are NOT copied over. Your apps and data files are copied over, but any in-app purchase must be redownloaded. You won't have to pay for the download.

I've been playing both Arc Squadron and GoF2 HD. Beautiful. GoF2 looks amazing and I thought it was extremely smooth. Someone earlier mentioned it wasn't hitting 60 FPS. Could be, but I'm early in the game so minimal number of enemy AI at this point. Just out mining mostly.
Thanks, it shouldn't be a problem for me, ive probably only bought 2 IAP'S over the past 2 years of having my iPad, and they were about 69p. I really can't wait to see the difference the iPad 4 will make over games that my iPad struggles with, like nova 3 and NSF: most wanted
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Is there already a thread with all the games optimized for the ipad4? That wouldbe a great
Idea
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy904 View Post
Is there already a thread with all the games optimized for the ipad4? That wouldbe a great
Idea
No, but there would very few on the list... It would fit in one post. I have seen 4 games updated with ipad 4 optimizations or crashing, don't remember what they were Asphalt 7 was one, anyone else remember what the other few were?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsIpad View Post
Thank you, and yes the upgrade should be immense, I can't wait to see how different it is, I've used an iPad 3 in my local apple store and that was soooooo different, so I can't begin to imagine what the iPad 4 is like
The ipad 4 is what the old new ipad should always have been. But anyway, going from an ipad 1 to 4 is huge, you will love it, I guarantee you that. I love my new ipad, so anything better is like butter as jbruu likes to put it. Congrats!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsIpad View Post
Ive noticed that a lot of people have not updated to ios 6, why, is there something wrong with it, it seems to have been ignored and badly recieved? Or can people just not be bothered lol?
Ios 6.0 just wasn't as great as advertised. Maps was worse, no youtube app, slower app store, a little buggy, loss of new release section, and some other bad things.

Good things included an offline reader, siri on the ipad, a much prettier appstore, being able to upgrade an app without downloading the whole thing, not having input passwords for upgrades, a little faster web, and a couple of other things.

Usually, it is bettter to upgrade to a bug fix os to 6.0.1 or 6.1 so many have waited. Also, no jailbreak for ios 6 so that too is a factor for a lot of people.

But now 6.0.1 is out which is mostly bug fixes, and seems to be quite stable, in fact some users like me and jbruu have notices better framerates in games over ios 6.0 or previous.

I would at this time recommend 6.0.1 for everyone since is stable and runs better.

Everyone always brings up mapgate, but honestly it is overrated like heatgate and stuff. It works, just not as good as the old version.

The main benefits for me from ios 6.0.1 are the offline reader and now a little better framerates and system smoothness.

But honestly ios 6 was overrated, I wish it would have been more earth shattering.

Last edited by Connector; 11-09-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post

Good things included an offline reader, siri on the ipad, a much prettier appstore, being able to upgrade an app without downloading the whole thing, not having input passwords for upgrades, a little faster web, and a couple of other things.
I thought 5.0 was gonna do the upgrade apps without installing again but noticed it didn't happen. I'll pay more attention to the upgrade process now as I put 6.0 ion ipad2 and iPhone. But only just now upgrade to 6.01 cuz it takes 2.7GB of free space so had to delete a bunch of games...suck.