★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajohnson1 View Post
my farming group is aoe-based. so right now, i'm doing groups of 6 normal monsters plus 1 epic monster. I average about 170 per battle, depending on the epic bonus. takes about 60-70 seconds per battle. if i was playing non-stop, that's about 9k per hour.

the highest level full group is in the All Seeing Eye Castle - 6 Missing No's and 1 Iron Maiden. they're all lvl 30.

but i prefer being at the Wizards of the East Coast (i love the MTG reference) so i can have a place to sell stuff quickly. there you can fight 6 Missing No's and 1 Void Elemental, which is a 29 epic.
Good point. Revised to include the MissingNo/Void Elemental group:

Group Composition: 34 Paladin, 34 Cleric, 35 Druid, 34 Rogue, 34 Wizard (Fireball/Passive Spec)
(Basically, a single-target destruction group, no AOE whatsoever, although CC options with the Druid).

Black Dragon:
Time to Kill: 2 minutes, 42 seconds
Experience: 3150
Experience/Second: 19.444
Gold: 20
Gold/Second: 0.1234

7x Mountain Soldier
Time to Kill: 3 minutes, 37 seconds
Experience: 8184
Experience/Second: 37.7143
Gold: 50
Gold/Second: 0.2304

1x Void Elemental, 6x Missing No.
Time to Kill: 4 minutes, 4 seconds
Experience: 10503
Experience/Second: 43.0451
Gold: 67
Gold/Second: .2746

Conclusion: There is absolutely no reason to grind Mountain Soldiers; it's either Black Dragons or Void/MissingNo.

The Catch:

Black Dragons have a chance to drop "The Four Ring", which costs 1500 gold. Let's say that it drops 1/35 times (which seems about right for my experience). That means an extra 1500 gold every 35 tries, or an extra .2646 gold per second.

Void Elemental/MissingNo groups have a chance to drop "The Three Ring", which isn't top-tier, but it's close and costs 1105. Let's be consistent with the Black Dragon and say it drops 1/35 times. That means an extra 1105 gold every 35 tries, or an extra .1294 gold per second.

So, with item drops:
Black Dragon G/S: .495
VE/MN: .404

Conclusion: If you're satisfied with 2nd Tier gear, VE/MN groups are probably better bang for buck than Black Dragons. However, given that items sell for only 1/10 of their value, if you're wanting The Four Ring, Black Dragons are still substantially better monetarily.

Leveling, of course, will be better with VE/MN.

Everyone agree? Any issues with my methodology/numbers/etc?
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRuzz View Post
I really appreciate your help dude. This game has been a blessing since I still have no power after Hurricane Sandy and this is easy on my 5s battery and keeps me sane.

What characters would you use for those classes? Like the Pally and Hunter? I'm going to keep my Dev Zerk with the crit/threat guy and my E.T. Mage. Then I'm not sure about my 5th slot
Well, trust me when I say that you don't want anyone to have threat other than your tank. For that reason, my paladin is the 5 threat 10% crit guy. E.T. is my bard. Gui is my hunter (the mana steal guy). My rogue is the +3 atk guy. And my mage is life steal (chose it when i didn't know it had to be physical damage).

In truth, though...i chose many of those for leveling purposes. For instance, gui as my hunter only really makes sense for AoE grinding. Strictly speaking, it doesn't really help your chances at the end -- +1 atk or +5 health would be more likely to help you. But, it makes the grinding process SO much easier. The same can be said about E.T. for my bard. mana regen loses importance the further into the game you go. But, i would still stick with it -- especially gui -- considering it probably cuts your leveling time in half, if not more.

11-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4crr View Post
wait, wait, wait. sell stuff? tell me that i haven't been trashing everything in my stash for no reason.
lol. yeah, you can sell stuff to the enchanter for 10% of its value.
11-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 545
And, i chose the soldiers over other enemies for a reason. There's definitely a reason to choose them. maybe not for ajohnson. But, for me, there was. missing no's have stun effects. I respec'ed for pure AoE damage, maximizing on killing everything at once. The grind time for a group of 7 soldiers is substantially lower than it was for missing no's (for me). And, if I had to deal with single target killing an elite at the end of a fight, i would have to respec' for some single target killing skills, eating into my efficiency.
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajohnson1 View Post
lol. yeah, you can sell stuff to the enchanter for 10% of its value.
shew...10%. I probably only lost a few hundred gold. still, i never even noticed.
11-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Joined: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,359
Someone want to point me at posts to read for someone who just started and wants to jump right into the most powerful starting group / combination?
11-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4crr View Post
shew...10%. I probably only lost a few hundred gold. still, i never even noticed.
yeah, its not alot. although i have been getting a lot of Pointy Amulet (+2 Initiative; -5 Threat) which sell for around 100.

and finishing off the epic isn't that hard. i have very weak single-target damage, and i have no problems. by the time the other 6 have died, he's only got a sliver left.
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4crr View Post
Well, trust me when I say that you don't want anyone to have threat other than your tank. For that reason, my paladin is the 5 threat 10% crit guy. E.T. is my bard. Gui is my hunter (the mana steal guy). My rogue is the +3 atk guy. And my mage is life steal (chose it when i didn't know it had to be physical damage).

In truth, though...i chose many of those for leveling purposes. For instance, gui as my hunter only really makes sense for AoE grinding. Strictly speaking, it doesn't really help your chances at the end -- +1 atk or +5 health would be more likely to help you. But, it makes the grinding process SO much easier. The same can be said about E.T. for my bard. mana regen loses importance the further into the game you go. But, i would still stick with it -- especially gui -- considering it probably cuts your leveling time in half, if not more.
Any tips on what team to run with then? Gonna switch my Barb to Pally Tank Dev guy or Grandma. E.T. Is my Mage but I can make him a bard and any other suggestion for Mage replacement? And for Hunter I'm not really sure either
11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 545
welp...i did it. My guys were level 39. had 8 "the four rings." 2 of my guys were dead at the end...one of them died on the second turn.

Last edited by nosoup4crr; 11-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRuzz View Post
Any tips on what team to run with then? Gonna switch my Barb to Pally Tank Dev guy or Grandma. E.T. Is my Mage but I can make him a bard and any other suggestion for Mage replacement? And for Hunter I'm not really sure either
Having just run it, I think bard and paladin are pretty necessary unless you were much higher level and/or had much better gear than i did.

As for DPS, having just run it...who knows? I still maintain that mages and hunters do the best overall damage. But, i'm not sure if they're naturally squishier. It might make a big difference to have a DPSer who can steal life like the knight. It might be helpful to have a priest...spec'ed mainly for smite (allowing him to keep himself up) but having a little into circle of healing to help with the AoE healing load at the end. You might even be able to get away with using 2 priests and no bard...spec'ed that way. Seriously, there's a lot you can make work. You just have to understand what's coming at you and adjust for it.