Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

VirtualBoyFreak pretty much laid it out but I will chime in just so that it is counted again...

1. The game really needs to auto-rotate. I play in the "normal" position (I guess with the Home button to the right) but I don't do so out of habit, it is just how my iPad lays in my wallet. When it is out and unsheathed I play whichever way I happen to pick it up, and I can understand some request for rotation due to being left handed, though personally being ambidextrous the Home buttons position never affected so much as having to rotate my iPad around when a game doesn't auto-rotate.

2. Button layout. Developers who make apps universal seem to overlook this glaring problem that is button layout. While the layout is ideal for a smaller screen, the current layout is a bit uncomfortable for an iPad owner. I am by no means a small man, nor do I have small hands. But when my thumbs are extending full stretched toward the center to move far left or right respectively in a dual stick game, well, it does not make for a comfortable gaming experience. Allow the user to customize their button and stick placement layout please, if possible. At the current position, I can not play this for any length of time without my hands starting to ache.

3. Mission diversity: we need something to break up the capture the flag feel of the gameplay. Because that is essentially what this is. As such, break it up with missions. This could be done very simply. Drop a Surviver to the extraction point, be told you need to go to an area and defend supplies for survivors for a minute or two, with a designated boxed out area you have to stay in. Throw in a mission type where you have to collect (perhaps 5 in one go) gas cans before delivering them all to a point! Sure it is essentially the same mode, but it is a mode with a variant to the rules. As it stands the game needs some variety or else it will get old very quickly.

4. The cars make this easy mode: well not really, and at the risk of shooting my progression in this game in the foot, the cars feel a little too strong. Hollywood has diluted our sense of reality, the average car wouldn't survive very long in a real zombie apacolypse, purely because a car can be rendered inoperable quite easy, especially if you plan on using it to run people over with it. Radiators crack easily, tire wells are compromised quickly and tires can be popped with just hitting the curb the wrong way. Cars should take damage when hitting zombies, simple fix. That will inject the "Oh Sh!t" factor needed.

5. Difficulty levels: simple if possible without breaking your memory limitations, just add more zombies coming at you. At current should be easy or normal, and on hard I should feel like the undead are abundant and unrelenting!

6. A clearer identity for the zombies: sure you have spitters and bloated zombies, but to be honest, they all feel relatively the same. The bloaters are a bit fatter and tougher, and the spitters spit, but they all move at the same rate and behave fairly the same. You need some cadence to the flow, fast zombies, slower tough zombies, exploding zombies, etc. sure it sounds derivative, but hey, the entirety of the zombie genre is, so no sense in not aping what ain't broke! Make the zombie types more clear and present so that I don't feel like I am shooting at a wall of flesh with no concern whether it is a fatty, spitter and such. Make them behave differently so that I have to adapt my tactics when I encounter then, and when I encounter them in various combinations!

7. Gamecenter: sure it is seen as frivolous by some but it is the new trend and it adds metagame to your game by adding goals for folks to try and accomplish, adding to the longevity of a game. Leaderboards to compare kill rates, survival times and such would be nice, and throwing out challenges from gamecenter over leaderboard scores seems fitting for the survival mode of this game!

The game has potential and I don't regret buying it, but it does feel like some opportunities were missed here... Perhaps they can be addressed with updates. As such, I believe some of these would elevate this to a game I would make a point to play regularly more than just a game I would play as a passing distraction...

Last edited by Bool Zero; 11-09-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
I bought it. The game is 0.99, just go to the App store and check it.

I find the map a bit small, with not too much to see in it. There are several weapons which you have to unlock, you just begin with the gun. Been playing for 30 minutes in both game modes (survival and free roaming) but haven't unlocked any new weapon yet.

There are several cars and trucks, and the models look great. It's cool to see that when you get in a car, the life bar of the car is not 100%, but it is random. This is a cool touch, since in a post-apocalyptic world I don't think cars would be 100% new anywhere

I have stopped playing now because I found it to get repetitive. The game has a lot of potential, but at the moment I don't find there are many things to do aside from moving around killing zombies. Difficulty is on the easy side, at least for me. Get into a car and go squashing zombies. When the car is nearly destroyed, get into another and continue... I got a better impression of the game in the video than after playing it. When compared with Payback 2 (I think it's the most similar game to be compared with, even though they are both quite different) I prefer Payback 2 much, much more as both games are now.

What I see that should be changed/added in extinction 3D to get it much better is:

- Cars should brake better.
- Car physics: when crashing into a city lamp, the car halts, and after the lamp falls. I think that having the car crash a bit (as when you crash into cars) would be better.
- customize button layout: car turning buttons are too near each other for me. It would be great if you gave people the option of moving the control buttons around to suit everyone's needs.
- Difficulty levels: easy, normal, hard. I find it too easy now.
- A city map.
- Auto-rotate screen (I'm a rightie and okay with current layout, but everyone should be able to grab the phone as they want, because I feel very uncomfortable when I cannot hold it the way I want).
- More cities, or even random city generation (if viable, of course, because I know this is difficult to program).
- More graphical details: there's an invisible wall which doesn't allow you to go into the river. Instead of an invisible wall, there could be a real stone wall or something like that. I also miss more destructible things in the city, not just trees and city lights. What about traffic lights, phone cabins, bus stops, etc.? That would give a better look to the city.

I've also seen some weapons in the city which seem to be unaccesible. Is access to them possible, or are they placed just for decoration purposes?

I don't want to seem too critic with the game, it's okay as it is. I just find it could be much, much better with some tweaking here and there.

On a side note, does the intro make people feel dizzy, or is it just me? I didn't cope too well with the still images of the back and the text flowing on them. I felt as if the images were moving down, which made me feel dizzy. Of course, this could just be me and my eyesight luckily, it only happens with the intro. The game is fine.
Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.
I really like your thinking and I will do my best to improve the game experience more in future updates.
About the destruction in game I will have to tell you that you can even destroy whole buildings! But you will have to unlock explosive weapons first (grenades, rpg-7, grenade launcher).
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis25 View Post
Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.
I really like your thinking and I will do my best to improve the game experience more in future updates.
About the destruction in game I will have to tell you that you can even destroy whole buildings! But you will have to unlock explosive weapons first (grenades, rpg-7, grenade launcher).
I edited my post, made a suggestions on the zombies as well. And please, don't take my criticism as bashing, I really think the game is good and has potential... I just hope our suggestions help to realize that potential, if possible! Good luck and I will keep track of this thread to see what you have planned!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
I edited my post, made a suggestions on the zombies as well. And please, don't take my criticism as bashing, I really think the game is good and has potential... I just hope our suggestions help to realize that potential, if possible! Good luck and I will keep track of this thread to see what you have planned!
Sorry I have read your previous message after my last post.
Your ideas are great! I will have to think more about adding missions. I believe this game has a lot of potential to it and there is a lot of space for improvements and additions. I really like to work on it so keep an eye out for updates.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Also, I forgot to mention that your Reviews are very important so if you have the game please add a review on the App Store to support my work.

Feel free to post the game on Facebook and Twitter so more people will hear about it.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Seeing as it's only a buck, and it looks as if I might enjoy this one, if not only on short spurt, I just might take the plunge!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

How many weapons are in the game?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

About to buy this shizzz now!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

What the heck, I love classic gta... don't really care as much for the zombies .. but for a $1 and how small the file size is, I'm going to give this dev a chance.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

I wish I didnt buy this.It isnt very good even @ 99 cent