Universal Pilot's Path - (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 27, 2012.

1. L.Hash

L.Hash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Hi
    One can easily tell when a game is an instant hit, it's great to see Devs getting so many things right: gameplay, graphics, sounds, controls, i havent been playing that much but it seems there's an interesting storyline as well. Minor complaint so far would be text fonts. they are way too small on the iphone 5. I feel like it's just me as no one has reported it so far. :-(

2. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Well. There are should be peaceful games too, with your own pace. Combat comes this christmas with the new game - so, stay tuned :)

Thanks for loving the game - we will be taking care of fonts :)

3. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Just finished the second scenario and am anxiously awaiting the third. If I were to make a criticism, it would be the fact that there is no carry over between scenarios. For example, being allowed to keep some of the money or extras (fuel, tools, autopilots) that we accrued in the previous scenario would encourage players to explore and pick up more goods. As things stand, the second scenario is little more than a reskinning of the first as you are starting out without any benefits from the previous and have to earn everything again.

4. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I finished the missions. Thoroughly enjoyed the game though.
    I also noticed there was no carry over between the missions. I figure for game balance you couldn't really carry over much. The auto pilot and other usable items you could I guess though. Good point.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not sure how giving you more items would make you explore more when the main reason for exploring in the first place is to earn coins to buy items.

6. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    Just wanted to say that i think it's a great game with an old skool flavor....really liking this... :)

7. poorhaus

poorhaus New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    It's disappointing to see a game that clearly has had a lot of time and thought put into it employ such a thoughtless and sexist device as the "cute mechanic" aspect of Pilot's Path. It seriously adds nothing to the game play-wise, and it's presumptuous at best and misogynistic to boot to include a ridiculous, comic-book Barbie doll archetype as a central part of the gameplay.#

Girls play games, goddamnit, and besides, there are plenty of guys like myself who are insulted that the developers of Pilot's Path would expect me to react positively to such a cartoonish depiction of a woman. The fact that her commentary is ostensibly sexually receptive, and the absurdly materialistic Gift feature, makes me squirm every time I have to fix the damn helo.#

I like the game itself quite a bit, and the remote feature is rad and is causing me to kill battery time on both my iPad and iPhone, but I would NEVER recommend it to - or even play it in the presence of - anyone, ever. I'm totally humiliated every time i visit the hangar; it makes it difficult to enjoy an otherwise strong title. The Cute Mechanic is Megan Fox in Transformers 2: gratuitous, insulting, and unnecessary. Seriously, lose the sexed-up cartoon and her accompanying game mechanic (i mean the Gifts; pardon the pun) and you have yourselves a 5-star game.#

8. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Really digging this, very satisfying gameplay

9. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Just wanted to mention that we are hardly working on completing the first update to the game.

It will bring only a little new content, as it is mainly a bugfix release. There will be seagulls and crows to smash on flight and a bit more of small little non-quest islands to fill the gap in sea between other, bigger islands. Also the outer island and item placement will be made a little bit more random.

The sad thing is that due to memory limits new things will only be available on modern devices, starting from iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPod 5.

We will try to put as much as possible to older devices too - yet, some things are just near impossible.

Right in the moment the status is almost done.

We fixed all known minor bugs and logic caveats. And are hardly working on optimizing and reducing memory usage on older devices - we did many things, yet it still crashes sometimes. We got some ideas on further optimizations and hope that the update is to be submitted in a couple of days for review.

A little about the IAP. The bug with restoring gifts made to the girl is fixed. In the upcoming update the girl will appear without gifts when starting or restarting any location. Thus, restoring gifts will give you 6 free helicopter upgrades with each new location or a game.

We had a long discussion in the team on where we should transfer purchased coins to other locations, games. Although we tried to make IAP unneccessary, we are really surprised how much people are using it. So, the decision is positive. There will be a global wallet for purchased coins. Thus, all purchased coins will be transferrable between all locations and new games. In game earned money, however, won't tranfrer. Purchased coins will, of course, be transferrable between devices via iCloud.

The update also comes with iCloud sync for saved games and everything else.

On iPad 3 there will also be a x2 mode that will double pixels to zoom in - actually that's already done and the only things that's left is memory optimization.

New locations with more interesting stories will hopefully come before christmas - do not delete the game from your devices, so you won't have to pass through previous locations once the new content comes out.

Well, she isn't the central part of the gameplay. It's how you see it. The girl was added into the game for fun and to me personally she is just like a furniture - e.g. you don't blame your sofa to have a particular color for example. And there are no any schemes employed at all - at least, no willful themes. As we wrote we put IAP in the game just for fun and for people that are really in a hurry. There is nothing pushing to make IAPs. Even the girl phrase about gifts is one of over 60 phrases she may tell you and all phrases have same random priority.

We even tried to use little no nothing sexual context in the game - some things that were planned initially in the scenario were cut because of that reason. The girl is quite pretty much dressed, and the rating on her is just to pass the review. Btw, in summer girls here in our country are walking on streets even being much more undressed than that.

Dictating us to make something even more to her is ambigious. Thanks to all gods, we live in a country that free from making people to obey to ancient prejudices. If religion a point of view doesn't allow someone to enjoy the girl, then such a person should willfully avoid it - that's the rating is for.

10. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #70 Happybyte, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    And... I like the girl in transformers series. She is cute =)

11. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Uh...so has the crashing been fixed on iPod Touch 4G? Bought the game with the expectation that it would be, and it seems great but I did have a good deal of crashing...

12. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    The update will fix it - that is the only thing that is left to be done before we are submitting the update.

13. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #73 Happybyte, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the update, some good additions and changes.

15. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Definitely enjoying this game, my only complaint would be that there is a line where exploration for the mission targets stops being fun and becomes frustrating. Been looking for some oil rigs for a little over an hour now, the helicopter is fully upgraded and its been about 40 minutes since I last saw a green blip on my radar.

Still is a fun game though heh. Question, are all the achievements for time flying?

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I seemed to lose my save after updating... I'm not too bothered about starting over but you might want to look into it.

17. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    I can even say losing saves during update probably makes us even much more sad then a player may be about that bug :( We will be inverstigating the issue on monday, when one of our devs comes back from his short vacation. Unfortunately, the time frame in which we can release a fix, including app store approval cycle, takes too long - by our stats, by now almost all users have already updated.

P.S. Are there any other bugs?

P.P.S. Shortly we are starting working on a new, free version of Pilot's Path. It won't be just a cut copy of the paid PP - there will be a small new location and a short story. I hope existing players will enjoy it as well.

P.P.P.S. In parallel we are working on a new big location for the original PP, and on a different game with guns and shooting.

18. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    The key to exploraion is remembering that other islands are usually in a radar sight of some other islands - feeling stuck try flying around other islands (look at the map fog of war).

Yep.

Achievements (ranks) are given for a time spent in flight.

19. steelgrey75

steelgrey75 New Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Really looking forward to this next game your developing. As long its just like pilots path of course!

20. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    A short announce:

Free/Lite version of Pilot's Path is set to be released tonight:
    https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/pilots-path-lite/id586096576?ls=1&mt=8

The lite version is free with NO any IAP.

In the same time an update to the original Pilot's Path goes live - fixes savegame compatibility.

The lite version has a slightly different map and contains 2 quests that are different from the paid version, so, if you own one, you may want the lite version too.

The lite game version is fully technically packed and allows you to check out the optimized gaming experience – to play on iPad using iPhone/iPod as a wireless joystick controller (if you own two devices).

If you are a lucky owner of Apple TV or using one of many software solutions to receive AirPlay streams on your Mac of PC (AirServer, AirPlayer, etc. – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay), you can output game video to your TV, monitor or projector and enjoy your single or pair of devices as controllers too.

A nice pic:

[​IMG]

Paid version reviews: