Support our Sponsors:

Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hey guys. Just finished modding my icade! (Wife bought the bits for my Crimbo present so it's going away now it's tested ) :0\ anyway I put in 8 Sanwa 30mm OBSF's & a Sanwa JLF and its sooo much better than the standard setup. Just to let you know I put a second spring in to stiffen things up and instead of the black insulation tape ultimate mod I used a thin pen top. I put a tiny shampher on the actuator , put the pen top in boiling water to soften the plastic then pushed over the actuator, then trimmed with a Stanley blade to the same length as the actuator. End results are great. Less travel on the stick. Mame plays fab. Lets see if I can get my lad buy me a true 8 way gate for Xmas too!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Default Q-Bert on iCade (before & after mod)

Okay, I just got my iCade today and having all kinds of fun. However, one of my favorite games, Q-bert, is virtually unplayable due to the joystick orientation. I've searched the web but can't seem to find anthing to fix my issue. I've tried MAME mapping the joystick for the game which works great with the virtual joystick on the iPad, but has little to no effect on the iCade joystick.

I just want to get a sense of what others experience with Q-bert before and after mod. Is it possible to map the 8-way on the iCade so that only the corners work? Does the Sanwa JS do any better at this than the default? Any other ideas? I've tried my darndest to play with the normal up/down/left/right, but it just doesn't work for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tantrum View Post
Okay, I just got my iCade today and having all kinds of fun. However, one of my favorite games, Q-bert, is virtually unplayable due to the joystick orientation. I've searched the web but can't seem to find anthing to fix my issue. I've tried MAME mapping the joystick for the game which works great with the virtual joystick on the iPad, but has little to no effect on the iCade joystick.

I just want to get a sense of what others experience with Q-bert before and after mod. Is it possible to map the 8-way on the iCade so that only the corners work? Does the Sanwa JS do any better at this than the default? Any other ideas? I've tried my darndest to play with the normal up/down/left/right, but it just doesn't work for me.
Just play it with the icade sideways. This gives the joystick the correct orientation no?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parranoya View Post
Just play it with the icade sideways. This gives the joystick the correct orientation no?
Yeah, it's fun looking at the screen at a 45 degree angle except now everything on the right side looks much larger than everything on the left since the iCade is so much closer to my face on that side. I've tried closing my right eye, but that does not seem to negate the effect.

Thanks for your technical expertise on this one :-) Does anyone else have an alternate solution?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Finally Figured Out Q-Bert Joystick

Okay, after hours of Googling, I was finally able to figure out how to customize the JS for Q-Bert using mame4ios and iCade. While most of you probably already know this, as a newbie I struggled so I will outline my solution:

1) launch mama4ios and attach iCade to bluetooth
2) launch Q-Bert (or other 45 degree joystick game)
3) click "Option" on iPad (top right), select "Options" and set Control Layout to "iCade" under Input section then click "ok" button at top right to return to game
4) press coin and start buttons at the same time (two left-most buttons on iCade - red ones pre-mod)
5) sroll down to "Input (this game)" with joystick and press select button (top right on iCade)
6) Now, set P1 Up, Down, Left, and Right settings by doing the following
- scroll to desired setting with joystick
- press select button on iCade (top right) and you will see a left and right arrow on the screen for the option
- move the joystick to the appropriate corner and hold for a second or two to set the option (note that after the option sets, if you are still holding the joystick then the scroll will go a little crazy - no damage done, just scroll back to where you want to be)
- now you will see the new control setting displayed according to how you set it
7) Set each of the P1 controls as follows:
- P1 UP: Joy 1 D-Pad Up Joy 1 D-Pad Right (move js to top right)
- P1 Down: Joy 1 D-Pad Down Joy 1 D-Pad Left (move js to bottom left)
- P1 Left: Joy 1 D-Pad Up Joy 1 D-Pad Left (move js to top left)
- P1 Right: Joy 1 D-Pad Down Joy 1 D-Pad Right (move js to bottom right)
* note that in each of these there is no "or" between the two movements meaning that both are required at the same time (e.g. a corner movement). If you see an "or" between the two then you will need to re-program and do a better job of holding the joystick in the proper position until it is set.
8) After setting all 4 P1 movements, scroll to "Return to Prior Menu" and hit select button on iCade (top right)
9) Sroll to "Return to Game" and hit select button on iCade again
10) Now, you can finally control Q-Bert the way he was meant to be controlled - with corner joystick movements

Before doing this, I just could not get my brain to work right. Q-Bert was one of my favorite games in the 80's and I've spent countless hours on it. After all kinds of frustration and finllay setting the controls as outlined above, I now am enjoying the game again!

Now, if I can only figure out how to retain high scores in mame4ios . . . any help with that from someone?

Last edited by Mr.Tantrum; 11-14-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Finished My Upgrade

Just got my new controls in last night and upgraded the iCabinet. Everything went well, and it plays much more comfortably now. I went with Sanwa multi-colored buttons to match the cabinet, the Sanwa joystick with neutral gray ball, and the Sanwa 8-way gate. I used a Dremel tool for enlarging the holes which made fairly quick work of it. Also, I soldered all the internal wires and it was a breeze (actually got everything right on the first try with the joystick rotation). Anyway, take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

iCade_Cabinet.png

iCade_Controls.png

Last edited by Mr.Tantrum; 02-02-2013 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremulator View Post
In the end I decided to use IL buttons, as I prefer the concave look/feel.
Where can you buy these IL buttons?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 AM

Joystick question...

What is the best practical joystick solution to go back and forth between 8-4 way that would work with icade I don't mind if I have to leave the bottom of the case open....
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuni View Post
Joystick question...

What is the best practical joystick solution to go back and forth between 8-4 way that would work with icade I don't mind if I have to leave the bottom of the case open....
I think you are asking too much to swap between the two. Have you played with the Sanwa 8-way gate? Personally, I like it better for even 4-way play.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 AM

I built a control panel with ultimarc 8-4 way joystick, the pulling the stick up and twisting method. It works great and now it would be hard to have to compromise. I was wondering if anybody here has tried using this joystick or any other product with similar methods.