★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jason MCINTOSH
  • Genre: Dice
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 69.8 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: SIXIS is a fast and simple little game about rolling smart and pressing your luck.

It may seem at first like Yahtzee, as players roll six dice in an attempt to match patterns. Sixis is unique, however, in that the patterns to match change each round, determined by randomized cards. When you match a card, you can take the card to score it, or raise the stakes by flipping it to reveal a more difficult and valuable goal!

Your opponents are also after the same cards, leading to some surprisingly interesting decisions for a simple dice game. Will you block an opponent by taking a card that's less valuable to you, or will you risk it and flip a card you think you can nab next round?

PLAY AS LONG AS YOU LIKE: A one-round Sixis game takes only a few minutes to play. You can also set up a longer three- or five-round game, or start a Sixis slugfest where players race towards a 600-point goal.

Want to keep going after someone wins? Tap the "One more round" button after the game ends to deal out some fresh cards and keep the fun afoot!

SUPER-EASY TO LEARN: The board always tells the current player, in just a few words, what they can do and why. No "tutorial mode" necessary -- just dive right in and learn the game in minutes.

DESIGNED WITH FRIENDS IN MIND: This iPad edition of Sixis works beautifully when played on a real tabletop, with friends and family sitting around it. The game's text and controls automatically rotate to face each player on their turn. Works great as a pass-and-play game, too!

ROBOTS LOVE YOU: Invite a clever Sixis-playing robot (or two, or three) to play. Mix robot and human players any way you like. Practice the game by yourself, or try a two-on-two match where you and a friend take on an all-robot team.

Sixis is a game designed by Chris Cieslik of Asmadi Games, publisher of tabletop hits such as Innovation and Fealty (also available in the App Store). This iPad edition was created under license by Jason McIntosh of Orangepeel Softworks.

Play and enjoy!
11-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Great little game.

11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Hooray! Thank you for posting this.

Those interested in design chatter may wish to read a blog post about various decisions I made while putting this app together: http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2012/11/an...ixis-for-ipad/
11-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Any reason this game could not have been made on the iPhone?
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Any reason this game could not have been made on the iPhone?
Probably not, but the UI would have to be significantly altered. The text is pretty small even on the iPad.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
11-17-2012, 12:52 PM
My specific vision for iOS Sixis was as a digital tabletop game, where the device would lie flat among the players gathered around it. In my experience, this just doesn't carry well to the small screens of phones, so I decided early on to focus just on iPad (at least for this edition's initial release).

And, yes, an iPhone edition would require a different UI, one optimized for use by a single player holding and viewing the device at a time. That's fine for single-player mode or network play, but this isn't what I was aiming at with v1.0.

I do appreciate the feedback! It helps a lot in guiding what decisions I'll make for where to take this app next.
11-17-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm on the fence with this one since I'm counting my shekels after blowing out my ipad app/game budget so early in the month. A gameplay vid would probably help out...
11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Can anybody share th experience as a solo game?
11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
A gameplay vid would probably help out...
Bradley Cummings over at BoardGameGeek just today posted a video review of this game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpos...d-review-sixis

Hope that it's helpful!
11-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Love this game!