Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Thanks! Your version seems to have a very constant framerate, maybe it is locked at 30 fps, I am not sure. The new ipad is a little worse, probably going from 25-30 fps. Even though in framerate terms, the increases are slight, it is nice seeing the ball so smoothly all the time.

I would say the changes are a little more dramatic in Nova, especially when there are a lot of things on the screen. Then the new ipad chugs along while the ipad 4 seems constant framerate wise.

In virtua tennis, the changes are more slight, but they are noticeable, and the framerates seem constant on the ball, so I wish my version looked like that. But I guess I will have to live with it for awhile I suppose.

By the way, virtua tennis plays better with the virtual pad you can change in the options, and does the lite let you play with another player?

Edit: yeah, I agree, some people were saying before that if the new ipad ran something at 30 fps then the ipad 4 should run the same thing at 60 fps, but anyway, this game is fun, but I think it is a little inherently clunky in the movement of the player which has nothing to do with the framerate, but try playing with the virtual pad controls against a computer opponent, and it is quite fun, a little quirky movement wise, but a pretty good arcade style game.
The "iPad 4 should be able to do 60fps" argument may be true if the game was optimized for it or maybe if it had an uncapped framerate. I'm guessing stuff like virtua tennis are locked at 30fps for performance reasons or to give it a more consistent framerate for the devices available during its time of release.

I think the demo only has training stuff on it. I got the full game free on my phone and they look just about the same so I'll be keeping that on my phone instead
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Interesting Youtube ipad 4 vs new ipad comparisons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZioVwm5bDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmyNGiA7VW8

Can't seem to find any videos with direct game comparisons of the hardcore games, but these seem the best for now.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Look at Slidetoplay's MC4 vid. This is why I upgraded: it's running at a crappy framerate with no AA. First sign I've seen in real life that the A5 is becoming insufficient, and with it the A5X really.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Look at Slidetoplay's MC4 vid. This is why I upgraded: it's running at a crappy framerate with no AA. First sign I've seen in real life that the A5 is becoming insufficient, and with it the A5X really.
I don't quite understand, this vid is from a new ipad? Or ipad 2 or ipad 4? It's quality seems on line with mc3 and nova 3. But really in these youtube videos with so much compression, sometimes I can not tell.

But if you are using that as a comparison, why would you think the ipad 4 version will be all that much better, or have you seen the ipad 4 version? I take a lot of preview trailers and such with a grain of salt since some just may well be screen captures of not the real final game.

I guess I will post it even though I wasn't really going to, but there are 3 more reasons why I am not choosing to upgrade my new ipad to the ipad 4. Not trying to cause more of a dispute here, because I do wish I could be like you and upgrade cause I know the ipad 4 is far superior to the new ipad cpu and gpu wise.

I mentioned it before, but kind of decided before not to make a detailed post about it, but I have done two kind of scientific experiments at the apple store on a screen test between the new ipad and ipad 4. So what the heck, I will post it.

As I mentioned before, MOST screens on the new ipad were made by Samsung and most now for the ipad 4 are being made by LG. I loaded up backgrounds with the brightness full up and for each test asked about 5 different people their preferences. Out of 10 people, all picked the new ipads screen as being better.

Granted the differences are slight, but if so many people including me can see a difference, there has to be one. And true, it is only a slight improvement if any. The tech is still the same, and overall it is about the same. If I graded it by number, it would be about a 5% difference or so. Hard to quantify since it is more of a visionary preference.

However, the brightness can get a slight bit higher on the new ipad, the ipad 4s colors are slightly oversaturated, and the clarity too is better on the new ipad. What this means? A slightly more immersive feel. But if I had to choose the Samsung screen over the LG, I would pick Samsung, after all Apple chose them over LG until all that patent war stuff happened.

Second, from what I have seen only about 10 of my 6000 apps would make a moderate improvement enough for me to warrant upgrading to an ipad 4. True most of these are puzzle and casual games, but still the point is there are very few games being made for the ipad that use the power running the ipad 4. Yes, maybe in the future with games like MC4, there will be a night and day difference, but honestly by that time, I will be long gone to the ipad 5.

Ipad 4 unfortunately seems like it is getting almost zero developer support, have only seen 4 ipad 4 updates, and most seem to be bug fixes, not added effects or framerates. I was kind of disappointed to hear the Asphalt 7 ipad 4 update didn't do all that much to make the ipad 4 standout over the new ipad version, really too bad.

When I have gone to the apple stores, there has been very few people looking at the ipad 4, and it really does seem developers are not really making a huge effort to update their apps for the ipad 4, in fact, it seems almost opposite, developers are more concerned right now that their games will run on the ipad mini, which is almost in the opposite direction in terms of cpu/gpu stuff.

And for every game that runs better, there are actually quite a few games that run worse on the ipad 4 vs new ipad. I have heard reports of some games crashing on the ipad 4, some games running with ipad 2 effects, and some games running more sluggish on the ipad 4.

I have even experienced this myself with the ipad 4 in the apple store. Of course there were only 2-3 games on the ipad 4, but honestly, all of them ran the same or better on my new ipad.

For example, angry birds space hd, the game plays exactly the same, but after you kill all the enemies, the game takes a couple of seconds to end the stage. But for some reason, the ipad 4 takes twice the time to end whereas the new ipad is much faster. You would think the ipad 4 would speed this process up like it does loading programs, but in angry birds hd, it is apparent, when you are waiting for the end of the stage, ipad 4 was twice as slow as the new ipad. And this wait time has always been irritating for me, so the ipad 4 version got worse.

Tiny wings hd also looks worse on the ipad 4 vs new ipad. The new ipad seems like it has better framerates, or maybe it is just that the Samsung screen looks better, I dunno. It is a slight difference, but I do notice it alot.

I realize these games were designed more for the new ipad, and also that these versions in the apple store aren't full versions, so maybe my version of the game is more updated, so these tests may be unfair. But I was kind of surprised that the apple store wouldn't have something loaded that would show how great the ipad 4 was, it just seemed like the games that they had ran better on my new ipad.

So I haven't seen any articles on it, but there are probably a lot of games that either run better or don't crash on the new ipad vs the ipad 4. So for the handful of games that I get a benefit like Nova 3, and Virtua Tennis, there are also a lot of games that run better on the new ipad.

Third, I don't really need a lightning connector right now and I need 128 gb disk space. I have a lot of power supplies and an iphone 4, so by going to the lightning it will be expensive. Also, right now I don't have an iphone 5, once I do, then it will make sense to go all lightning, but for now, I will lose a considerable amount buying lightnining cables, cause what, they are like $19 a pop?

Also, I was kind of hoping that the ipad 4 would come out with 128 gb. That is my MAIN complaint about my new ipad. Not heatgate, weightgate, underpowered gate, or anything else. I can live with it getting a little warm, I can live with it being a little heavy, I can live with 10 of my games not playing as well as I like.

But I can not live with 64 gb, it frustrates me everyday. Sure I am about as hardcore of a gamer as you can get, but I wish I could keep games like Nova 3, Galaxy of Fire 2, Fifa 12, Horn, batman, spiderman, etc... On my system. Really, that is my one and only gripe, a lack of either 128 gb or a lack of an sd card interface.

If the ipad 4 had come out with 128, I probably would have upgraded to the ipad 4, but now that the Microsoft surface has sd card support and hard drive support, apple will have to do something. And I hope in the ipad 5 they will. Cause that is my biggest desire is to get more disk space or sd card support.

Anyway, wasn't really going to post this before, not trying to be pro new ipad or bash the ipad 4. Just posting my honest impressions of it, and I will state again, I wish the new ipad had been the ipad 4 minus the lightning connector, then none of us would be here discussing whether it was worth it to upgrade.

But I look forward to mc4, hopefully the ipad 4 version will knock our socks off. I really look forward to next christmas by the time developers start using the extra horsepower and when the ipad 5, iphone 6, and ipad mini retina (which is rumoured to have a retina and a6 processor) come out. At that time, I think there will be a ton more hardcore games. And at that time, my new ipad will be showing it's age.

I love the ipad 4, am slightly jealous, and personally, I think apple made the right decision to upgrade the new ipad to ipad 4 because of the battles with samsung, lightnining connector, and to add the new cpu/gpu which many are claiming is actually cheaper than the a5x. Even though it has angered a lot of new ipad owners.

I do think with the ipad 4 coming out, developers will start thinking more seriously about hardcore games now, and hopefully soon, they will be adding some cool new effects for you all. That would be pretty cool to see. Actually, I am looking forward to Nova 4, do you have any idea if and when this might come out?

Last edited by Connector; 11-14-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Kind of a really pretty graphical comic book reader that I chanced upon, really looks great on the new ipad and ipad 4 with great ipad retina, I am sure it will look good too on the ipad mini, but give this a try if you like good graphics to show off to your friends. It's free.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Kind of a really pretty graphical comic book reader that I chanced upon, really looks great on the new ipad and ipad 4 with great ipad retina, I am sure it will look good too on the ipad mini, but give this a try if you like good graphics to show off to your friends. It's free.

This is interesting, thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Everything about the iPad 4 is just plain faster than the iPad 3. Even loading Fieldrunners 2 on iPad 4 is about twice as fast as the iPad 3. I had both side by side and it was ridiculous.

The new wifi speeds are great. Even "simple" web pages like CNN.com load much faster on iPad 4. Your mileage may vary, of course, but iPad 4 is just very, very fast.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Everything about the iPad 4 is just plain faster than the iPad 3. Even loading Fieldrunners 2 on iPad 4 is about twice as fast as the iPad 3. I had both side by side and it was ridiculous.

The new wifi speeds are great. Even "simple" web pages like CNN.com load much faster on iPad 4. Your mileage may vary, of course, but iPad 4 is just very, very fast.
Yeah, I am curious about that wifi speed enhancement, some people have said it doesn't make a big difference cause it is more the download speed of your service that is important, but I have wondered that as well.

When I was last at the apple store, I didn't really notice all that much more speed in the ipad 4 in terms of wifi speed, but I didn't really do any kind of scientific tests like timing or stuff like that. I will try when I go to the apple store next time to do some kind of test for the wifi speeds.

But you are right, the load times are definitely noticeable. Between half a second to 2 seconds faster from what I saw at the apple store. May be even more for larger programs I figure. But is that kind of time worth it for us new ipaders to upgrade for? Probably not.

But let me know about the wifi, I have been curious about that, but no one has really mentioned it much in articles, so it is kind of strange.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 AM

A minor unrelated to games perk I've noticed is that the camera sd lightning kit is ridiculously fast, way way faster than before. I'm a photographer and used to import 500+ large pics at a time, so this is a real time-saver for me.

Is there a list anywhere of apps that have been updated for the ipad 4? I noticed that Lost Winds just had an ipad 4 update....
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM

hey guys, been trying to get the opinions of the guys over at macrumors but everyone is mad obsessed with the lack of retina on the mini...

I'm getting my first iPad for my birthday, next month. I'm trying to decide between the mini and the 4. Going to get a 32gb in either. Any suggestions being that it's my first iPad.
I go to school that doesn't have an apple store within 2 hours so I haven't been able to get my hands on a mini yet...
I'm gonna use it primarily for internet browsing, games and bringing to class (college student).

I don't plan on reading books on it, When it comes to reading, I'm stubborn and like real books or e-ink, I have a nook.

any help, or insight would be great!

I do have an iphone 5 so I do already have a retina screen in my hands every day.

Thanks!