Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Ugh...

I have to agree with everyone else, and it also has to be said that if you make a game universal, at the very least consider that your control placement should be adjusted for all platforms, or at the very least make them adjustable! I culd barely finish LoE 1 and 2 and gave up on Random Heroes because of the oversized buttons that are spread too far on my iPad. I refuse to believe the developers are unaware of how awkward and uncomfortable their games button layout is for iPad owners, yet they sell their games as a universal apps...

The controls really kill this for me, and for all the comparisons to Double Dragon and RCR, sadly this game has less in the way of moves than even the games it aspires to be (you could elbow and throw enemies even in Double Dragon, least we forget). D-pad, Thumbstick, neither are good on an iPad, period. I don't own an iPhone, and not all the gamers who buy this Universal game will either, so considerations need to be made for ALL the platforms it is on, not just the most populated. Otherwise, don't sell this app as a Universal app if you don't intend to accommodate all device types. Not only are the controls poorly placed, but unresponsive and often feel"out of range" causing repeated facing the wrong way situations.

For those dismissing the less favorable, more opinionated impressions; it is not an attack on the game,or exalted expectations of a game that is only 99... It is purely an assessment of a game by what it brings to the table regardless of price, compared to what is the bar, the standard, the bare minimum required for the genre it aspires to recreate. It is great some may live this, but criticisms leads way to improvements, as ultimately I want to like the game more, and I feel others do too. Perhaps if the developers hear some of those criticsms, they can make this game become a much better product.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Developer

I'm sure they'll have a patch to fix the crashes (on iPod Touch 3G) and the fact that the game ends for me in Level 2 - 2, in front of the fire trucks, because the last guy on the screen doesn't take any damage and thus I can't move on.

A little design flaw they could easily fix: The Arrow pointing right shows up immediately, as soon as you beat the last guy. In Final Fight, the game they're obviously copying, I think the arrow took a few seconds to pop-up. Anyway. I know I'm supposed to walk right, no reason to show the arrow as soon as the last guy on the screen falls over.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Ok, I can understand having dissapoinment over the game, over their past few games. I dont understand why people are being so overly harsh to a company that is trying make games that their fans will enjoy. They posted in this thread on page 2 after all this abuse I wouldn't blame them from just giving up and going back to the drawing board. Maybe if people asked for what they wanted and tried to get Ravenous to understand their complaints then Maybe they would have listened and possibly responded to thr criticism, but this is so overly ridicoulously harsh that I doubt they even care.

I hope they don't take the critisism so harsh that they abandon their fanbase, they obvioulsly have talent, but for everyone giving them praise now to hate there even less likely to give us what we want. Old school semi hardcore fun games. I agree thereast couple of games have been lacking a bit, but I'd rather tell them why and hope for them to get better than to completely bashing them and throwing them under the bus.

I dunno maybe their is something I'm missing here, but to see credible people blantaly bashing a Dev/pub whatever they once loved is kind of sad.

I hope this isn't as big of a deal as it seems and Ravenous doesn't give up on trying to make games that they think people will like.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

No one is bashing per se, people are just voicing their discontent and disappointment with the product. If you believe that the developers will react emotionally off of the negative responses to the game, then it has to be said that you don't understand the industry, being a developer, or any industry at large. The developers are professionals (at least one would hope they are) and they will not get so offended as to retreat because of some poor impressions. One has to be thick skinned and hear the points, even through the whining, of ones customer base. That doesn't mean all criticisms have to be addressed or are credible, but it is their jobs as developers to listen, just as it is our right as customers to voice our opinions... No matter how well articulated or poorly expressed they may be!

I think you may be perceiving this as taking things personal, when clearly Ravenous development studio formed of people who are prepared to do business, and when dealing with customers, that separation of professional and personal is well established. Lets not assume that the developers are sitting in a dark room only lit by the screen of their monitors, crying and eating Haagen Das while listening to The Cure because of some negative reviews! They are big boys, and hopefully they are reading and listening... And will hopefully address those issues they find valid!

Last edited by Bool Zero; 11-16-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

I'm playing this on the iPad -- and the controls tend to 'stick'. It can be incredibly hard to dodge and move around when things become hectic. I like the tongue in cheek premise, though -- and it's well-complemented by the cartoony retro-art style.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
Ok, I can understand having dissapoinment over the game, over their past few games. I dont understand why people are being so overly harsh to a company that is trying make games that their fans will enjoy. They posted in this thread on page 2 after all this abuse I wouldn't blame them from just giving up and going back to the drawing board. Maybe if people asked for what they wanted and tried to get Ravenous to understand their complaints then Maybe they would have listened and possibly responded to thr criticism, but this is so overly ridicoulously harsh that I doubt they even care.

I hope they don't take the critisism so harsh that they abandon their fanbase, they obvioulsly have talent, but for everyone giving them praise now to hate there even less likely to give us what we want. Old school semi hardcore fun games. I agree thereast couple of games have been lacking a bit, but I'd rather tell them why and hope for them to get better than to completely bashing them and throwing them under the bus.

I dunno maybe their is something I'm missing here, but to see credible people blantaly bashing a Dev/pub whatever they once loved is kind of sad.

I hope this isn't as big of a deal as it seems and Ravenous doesn't give up on trying to make games that they think people will like.
Really? Have you EVER been on the internet before?
If a game is crap why shouldn't ppl voice their opinions?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Ya I know theyre professionals etc... But I've always seen this site as more of a place where of the community and devs work together somewhat in some cases.

Take for example The Saturday Morning Rpg thread, people there are in direct contact with the guy behind the game(or one them) and it's pretty cool.

Obviously this only applies to small devs trying to make games for a specific audience which is exactly what SMRPG is...

In other threads not only have I seen people making recomendations but actually seeing the devs change things that made sense.

I figured since Ravenous is making games for a specific audience that what the community members say here has some weight.

I guess it's not like that here, I assumed back when league of evil was around that people were in contact with Ravenous making suggestions and such. Like i said they posted in the thread here and it seems like they want their fans to enjoy what they have made. And since that's hasn't or isn't happening that the best thing to do was figure out what things to say to make the game better in hopes that they(Ravenous) were listening. But the thread has just become a huge bashfest, where doing any of the above just wouldn't work.

Last edited by Darth Ronfar; 11-16-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

True, but some of these problems have been present and unfixed in previous games, so it leaves a lot open to a history of frustration, particularly for a fanbase that has mentioned some problems before; control issues abound and clunky response being a reoccurring point brought up yet left unaddressed for example, particularly with previous games (Random Heroes). So it falls into a matter of "are the developers even listening?", or worse, unable to make changes due to their game engines design.

So I believe it is not so much a issue of providing he developers with feedback anymore, but rather have they even been listening... Hence the replies and seeming frustration in this thread...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Oh I see... Well I hope they can start making good games again, there last few haven't been terrible but nothing really as good as LoE & 2. That goes back to my first post of tryin to figure out why it's not as good, and thinking of some ideas...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 AM

To anyone who is reading this thread and is now hesitant about buying the game...

Honestly, I think the negativity surrounding this game is overstated and a little unwarranted.

I think if you bought this game and were dissapointed, there's probably a good chance you've played LOE2, and were expecting it to feel like that and be just as good as that.

I was personally really doubting if it would be good, and was nervous about the control scheme. But I think the default "thumb" controls actually work pretty damn well, and I think it's a vastly superior control scheme to the digital analog controller. (Seriously, I hate it when games use that.)

The game itself is good. It's simple and fun, it plays wells and has great polish. It's a beat-em-up game on your iOS device for a buck. If you're even remotely on the fence about this game: Just buy it. It's 99c and you're supporting a great developer.