★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
#21
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin/P1XL View Post
Thanks, yeah, we were unhappy with a virtual dpad, and trying to squeeze 6 distinct buttons (up, down, left, right, jump, action) on the screen really wasn't working either, so we adapted the swipe controls we used in RPG Quest - Minimae.
Like I said, the controls are essentially flawless. Like I said in the Slender Rising thread, I hope people give them a chance rather than just endlessly request different ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin/P1XL View Post
We did wonder if that would be controversial at all, but decided to go with it. Sheol can be interpreted as the grave, or the pit, or even hell... for us, it seemed like a good name for IMPENDING DOOM.

When I was researching it, I didn't run into any different or extra special meaning for Sheol in Islam, did I miss something? If we're making a big blunder, I'd like to know
Haha, not being Muslim, I really wouldn't know. That said I did buy the game off the Lebanese store, so it doesn't look like there are any issues...but my only concern is if it gets pulled for that reason. My lips are sealed though.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
#22
Where did this beauty come from? Impressions when I get off work tonight ...

11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Like I said, the controls are essentially flawless. Like I said in the Slender Rising thread, I hope people give them a chance rather than just endlessly request different ones.
We agree, thanks for the support!

Quote:
That said I did buy the game off the Lebanese store, so it doesn't look like there are any issues...but my only concern is if it gets pulled for that reason. My lips are sealed though.
Here's hoping

P1XL Games | Twitter | Facebook
Paid: Super Splatform (8-bit platformer) - 4NR (2-bit platformer)
More: P1XL Party (original game collection) - RPG Quest - Minimæ (8-bit RPG)
Free: Bad Student Driver (Flappy Car?) - Bad Student Driver: Swing Ride (New)
11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
#24
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 233
I agree with how Retro it is; the combination of old-school tile maps and sparse chiptune sounds set the way-back machine for quite some time ago.

However, much like newer games, it has a storytelling twist that also expertly hides two different modes: a timer-based mode and a puzzle-based mode. Guess which one is the hardest to complete :P (hint: it's the timer-based mode). It is nice to see something like this in a game, where a non-menu-based choice dictates what game experience you get, and it gives players a more involving experience as a result.

On the other hand, this means that once you beat both modes and manage to collect all the collectibles in one run, that's it. This game, depending on your skill level, lasts anywhere between ten minutes to a couple hours. That's VERY short, and with little desire to continue with the game once it is beaten combined with the fact that there is zero replayability because the game repeats the exact same tile map for both modes hurts this game's quality.

In short, it's a bite-sized game that's sure to entertain for a little bit, but once it is beaten there is no desire to play again. No desire to continue playing means that gamers will not remember the experience for long, which means that the developer will most likely be forgotten after a day or two.

I would recommend the developer consider methods to ensure gamers remember his/her future game(s) beyond that initial hour or two, because gamers need more to engage in beyond two modes that can be beaten in under ten minutes. Sure, the game is entertaining and well-made, but there is no way this game will last in the memories of other gamers as it is.

I would give this an enthusiastic 3.5/5 stars. Good concept and execution, but the short length and zero replayability really shred the game's future.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlbum View Post
I agree with how Retro it is; the combination of old-school tile maps and sparse chiptune sounds set the way-back machine for quite some time ago.

However, much like newer games, it has a storytelling twist that also expertly hides two different modes: a timer-based mode and a puzzle-based mode. Guess which one is the hardest to complete :P (hint: it's the timer-based mode). It is nice to see something like this in a game, where a non-menu-based choice dictates what game experience you get, and it gives players a more involving experience as a result.

On the other hand, this means that once you beat both modes and manage to collect all the collectibles in one run, that's it. This game, depending on your skill level, lasts anywhere between ten minutes to a couple hours. That's VERY short, and with little desire to continue with the game once it is beaten combined with the fact that there is zero replayability because the game repeats the exact same tile map for both modes hurts this game's quality.

In short, it's a bite-sized game that's sure to entertain for a little bit, but once it is beaten there is no desire to play again. No desire to continue playing means that gamers will not remember the experience for long, which means that the developer will most likely be forgotten after a day or two.

I would recommend the developer consider methods to ensure gamers remember his/her future game(s) beyond that initial hour or two, because gamers need more to engage in beyond two modes that can be beaten in under ten minutes. Sure, the game is entertaining and well-made, but there is no way this game will last in the memories of other gamers as it is.

I would give this an enthusiastic 3.5/5 stars. Good concept and execution, but the short length and zero replayability really shred the game's future.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album
The game is short...
But iOS is a platform which allows easy updates to add more levels
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
#26
Just downloaded. Looks awesome
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
#27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkwood View Post
Just downloaded. Looks awesome
Same here
11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlbum View Post
I would give this an enthusiastic 3.5/5 stars. Good concept and execution, but the short length and zero replayability really shred the game's future.
Thanks for the review! Some of our beta testers did find a lot of replayability because of the stats screen - you can play either for an optimal time (which is noted on the two winning game sequences if you've beaten your record) or a perfect score by collecting all stars or coins, and using a minimum of them.

There are lots of ways to shave seconds and then milliseconds off your path, and there's a few bonus little text tags on the ending screens as small rewards for particularly good play.

We realize this isn't the kind of replayability that everyone wants, but some players really like doing speed runs or going for perfect scores, so we added those and the stats screen to add an extra dimension of play.

P1XL Games | Twitter | Facebook
Paid: Super Splatform (8-bit platformer) - 4NR (2-bit platformer)
More: P1XL Party (original game collection) - RPG Quest - Minimæ (8-bit RPG)
Free: Bad Student Driver (Flappy Car?) - Bad Student Driver: Swing Ride (New)
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
#29
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin/P1XL View Post
Thanks for noticing

For anyone curious, the file size is that small because: the music is played back from an NES format (.nsf) with no wavs/mp3s, the sound effects are emulated from the Atari 2600 (TIA) sound chip, and the game map is an old-school tile map.
Hello Mr. Developer (btw, did you make P1XL Party?...I have a strangely stron memory for quirky, not well known ios games and a terrible one for the big releases), I'm just curious here.

Did you build an .nsf emulator into your game which converts the sounds into an ios playable format when called, or was the music converted before inclusion into the game?

Sorry for the tech wonkery I have a .nsf player for my iPhone, so I know it's possible.
11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
#30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin/P1XL View Post
Wow, that was approved faster than expected!

We'll be here participating in the thread, so let us know what you think!
Shut up and take my money!