Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Sure if this has been answered, but is the internet on this actually a lot better than my iPad 1 for example, or is it really all down to how good your Internet connection is, and won't be that different if you don't have a great Internet, for some reason my town hasn't updated to the newest, fastest Internet that pretty much the rest of the country has, will this cause an iPad 4 I'm going to buy to be not much improved?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

AlexsIpad, it depends on what you mean by 'internet'. Are you referring to 3G and 4G? If so, then the new iPad (which uses 4G), will be faster on 4G networks, but no different from your iPad 1 if your area has 3G or 2G. There are some places you WILL notice differences. With the Retina display, the web page text looks beautiful. The actual display of the page and scrolling will be zippier. And with the increased RAM (from the iPad 1) I've noticed better handling of pages. Where the iPad 1 would crash Safari on some webpages (where there are tons of embedded YouTube vids), I have had no problems with the iPad 4.

There was also mention a few pages back regarding faster wi-fi. The one thing regarding the latest iPad's updated wi-fi is you need a router that has multiple antennas in order to take advantage of this feature. I don't think the average customer realizes this, so many people may describe their wi-fi speeds as no different. I don't yet have a dual antenna router, and am still using an eight your old wi-fi router. I'm looking into upgrading.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Thank you, im talking about wifi speeds, so it won't be much faster then?

P.S. I know nothing about this sort of thing so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by AlexsIpad; 11-20-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr

For me wifi is faster, but wifi range is same, at least for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
There was also mention a few pages back regarding faster wi-fi. The one thing regarding the latest iPad's updated wi-fi is you need a router that has multiple antennas in order to take advantage of this feature. I don't think the average customer realizes this, so many people may describe their wi-fi speeds as no different. I don't yet have a dual antenna router, and am still using an eight your old wi-fi router. I'm looking into upgrading.
Ahh, so that's the ticket, to use the faster wifi, you have to use a better router. I don't think most people have this, so I suppose most people won't see a difference.

How about places in public like Starbucks, a college campus, or the library? Do you think you would get better wifi throughput? Or do they need extra fancy routers?

And how much faster is it? On paper it seems like it would be 2x the speed, but it wouldn't be that much faster right? And I would think your internet pipe would ultimately determine the speed different if taxed.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Right. Speed from your Internet service provider will always be a limiting factor. You can't get any faster than what you are receiving from your provider.

Yes. In order to get the faster speeds, Starbucks, library, etc. needs to have the special router as well. I think you can get these for around $80-$90 now. Look up MIMO for information on this technology. It's not so much that the wifi speed is faster, it's that you have two antennas sending data on the router, and two receiving data on the iPad. Both antennas may be sending data, giving you twice as much data in the same amount of time. So, it could potentially appear twice as fast, though I'm not sure if that is true in real life.

I personally have not seen better wifi reception between my 1 and 4. Both are equally down to 1 or 2 lines when I am in my bedroom. Same with my wife's 2. This is one reason I want a new router. I think they have stronger transmitters and may be better at reaching my bedroom. And I figure while I am at it, I will get one with dual bands.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yeah, when I was last at the Apple store, I didn't notice any differences in speed wifi wise between my new ipad and ipad 4, I thought that weird cause they seemed to be advertising 2x speed.

Ok, maybe some big news, tons of rumours everywhere that the ipad mini 2 with retina and possible a6 is coming in March 2013.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to tell you the truth after what they did to the new ipad. Have seen a lot of articles, and seems that manufacturing tests in China is already underway. When it gets to that point, I start believing these kind of rumours.

http://www.booksnreview.com/articles...ember-2013.htm

I kind of believe it cause of retinagate. The ipad mini like the new ipad is considered flawed by many people because of the lack of retina screen. Retinagate is much worse in my opinion than underpowered gate, so I'm starting to think it is true.

Seen at least 7 articles about it. It'll be so sad for ipad mini owners, really will if the rumours stand up. Why Apple doesn't just wait 6 months to get a complete package together, I got no clue. The will be lots of angry ipad mini and new ipad owners out there. Oh well.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Seems lili has been updated for ipad 4 support as well. Still not sure what's new, though things do look a bit more colorful. Might be my imagination lol
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Shadowgun deadzone just came out with an update, wow, near perfect framerates on my new ipad with ultrahigh settings now. Totally impressed, any new ipad or ipad 4 owner, give this a try and come join us play, it is free. Pretty soon, there is going to be an update for friends to play each other, so I'm sure at that point, we'll have some great Toucharcade games.

Wow, feels good to have a good FTS (actually TPS) game running like butter on my new ipad. Guess it ain't as extinct as some people think. How's it running on your ipad 4, jbruu?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Lili doesn't look to be running any higher a resolution on the new new iPad, so I'm not sure what change they made, if any. The framerate is still higher than on the old new iPad and the same effects seem to be there. The only difference I spotted was that there were butterflies around Lili when I loaded my saved game on the iPad 4 that were not there when I loaded it on the iPad 3 (same saved game - I restored iPad 4 from iPad 3 backup). But those could just be randomly there or something, it's not like they needed extra horsepower to render a few butterflies.

Asphalt 7 got a higher resolution update, and it is pretty good looking.

Since they're too big to attach, I've uploaded some comparison screenshots here: http://xibase.com/ipad/ - about 5-6 mb each. Look at the edges of the buildings in Asphalt 7, and look at the sharp detail of the track in the distance. Lili looks exactly the same aside from those butterflies.

Also, about the wifi speeds - yes, you'll need a router that is capable of doing it, but even so, the iPad 4 is way faster than the original iPad in rendering speed, so the perceived speed of internet browsing is still way faster even on the same router.

Last edited by fury; 11-21-2012 at 09:16 AM..