Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

So the first lot of New Super Mario Wii U reviews have hit and it looks great! Only read one review that was anywhere near negative, even Destructoid's Jim Sterling heaped praise on it! Still interested to know if any of you guys are picking one up this Sunday and what games you will be buying alongside it if you're taking the plunge.

Last edited by Rasterico; 11-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I have one pre-ordered, but I am still possibly going to cancel. Not because I don't want one - I definitely do - just not sure we should be spending that much right now. I will probalby keep my pre-order of NSMBU at newegg because it was a deal and that's a game that's not likely to drop. Eventually we'll get a WiiU, just probably not this year.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I decided to keep my pre-order, but I haven't picked it up yet. It's theoretically waiting for me at Best Buy. I wasn't in a big hurry because it will be an Xmas gift. One friend of mine got one and has been playing it and likes it a lot and I've been hearing good things from others too... aside from a dog-slow system update.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Unfortunately nearly everything I've read so far has been pretty negative, just today I read accounts are tied to the console they were made on and can't be used on any other and also seems the day 1 update is bricking a lot of consoles and there is no way to recover them.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Accounts tied to the console does suck (one hopes they change this in an update, but that's probably wishful thinking - they do mention later being able to log in with other devices, whatever that means), but I've certainly not been mostly reading negative stuff. Mostly it's been very positive. The system update has been a pain for everyone, but I don't know anybody that's had theirs bricked by it. Just failed a few times (apparently it resumes where left off when you retry) and generally been dog slow to download.

Last edited by crunc; 11-19-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Unfortunately nearly everything I've read so far has been pretty negative, just today I read accounts are tied to the console they were made on and can't be used on any other and also seems the day 1 update is bricking a lot of consoles and there is no way to recover them.
Accounts are 'currently' tied to systems, Nintendo have already said that it will change and the few instances of the update bricking the console seems to have been only when the user turned their console off whilst it was still updating... whilst it is an unfortunate thing to happen, I'm not sure why anyone would turn their system of mid update anyway, bricking or not. And as crunc mentioned, they weren't permanently 'bricked', just temporarily frozen. The update is said to have taken most people around an hour to download and the update size is apparently about 5gig. Still, given how slow my PS3 downloads stuff, it's not new to me.

Last edited by K.D!; 11-19-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D! View Post
Accounts are 'currently' tied to systems, Nintendo have already said that it will change and the few instances of the update bricking the console seems to have been only when the user turned their console off whilst it was still updating... whilst it is an unfortunate thing to happen, I'm not sure why anyone would turn their system of mid update anyway, bricking or not. And as crunc mentioned, they weren't permanently 'bricked', just temporarily frozen.
Yes, this is true. Nintendo has said that they will update the accounts in the future so that all purchases are tied to it, and you can log into other systems with the same account. They are also supposed to bring accounts to the 3DS to replace friend codes, and you're supposed to be able to use the same account on your 3DS as your Wii U.

As for turning off systems, a lot of people on the east coast (in the US) where the power is unstable have been having random power outages, so a lot of people who bought the Wii U have had it get bricked while updating due to power outages. The people that actually turned it off while updating are dumb.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'd like to have good reason for owning every console out there, but I'm struggling with this one. The way I see it, we'll be able to bundle the games into three groups.

Nintendo-developed games: The most convincing reason to buy the console, but realistically... just not enough of them.

Shovelware: The most convincing reason to avoid the console.

Multi-platform games: The neutral zone. These will cater to more serious/hardcore gamers, but they don't particularly draw you to the Wii U since they're available on other consoles which already have impressive games libraries. Then there's the small issue of Sony and MS releasing new consoles within a couple of years, Nintendo will once again be getting lumbered with the weakest ports.

As much as I admire the hardware (except the second screen, I don't buy it at all), it's all about the games, and the focus these days leans heavily towards multi-platform, so if you're attempting to do something different with your console you run the risk of being ignored.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Demo'd one of these at a local GameStop today, and I'm not too impressed. The console felt incomplete and... strange to control from the pad to screen in some games.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Demo) on the Wii U
Quote:
Playable demos for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U system and Nintendo 3DS hand-held system are available now for free download in the Nintendo eShop.

The free single player demo will feature two full quests, one for beginner players and another for intermediate hunters, in addition to 12 different weapon options for players to choose for their battle. Players will have to brave the elements of the frozen tundra against the fierce Lagombi and take the fight against the aquatic Plesioth on land AND into the water!

Hunters are encouraged to test and hone their skills now, as the full game will hit retail stores in North America on March 19, 2013 and across Europe on March 22, 2013. The title will also be available to purchase digitally on the same dates.

In Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, players take on the role of a hunter sent to explore a settlement within the Monster Hunter universe, completing quests on their journey to seek and slay monsters while improving their skills and earning equipment upgrades. With many challenging monsters and over 200 quests, the latest addition to the series is set to be the most expansive offering to date. The game can be played alone and offers a bevy of multiplayer set-up options: online (up to four players) on the Wii U system, or locally using up to four Nintendo 3DS systems or a combination of up to three Nintendo 3DS systems and one Wii U system.

For more information on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, visit http://www.facebook.com/monsterhunter