Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSport70 View Post
It is from the same developer. I live in the U.S. so I have not had a chance to download it yet. It looks like it has some new tracks. The races in the original game were one on one. The graphics in the game were amazing!
RoC is a one-on-one racing competition. The format is actually exactly the same as portrayed in the original game. Not sure if this has freestyles racing mode in the new fantasy tracks.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the first game:

http://youtu.be/xYfzxOkAcTg

This should give you all a good idea of what to expect.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

After playing through the first two championships (and winning every race I might add) here's my thoughts...

Physics & Handling:
An improvement on the first game. Cars feel more alive but the steering seems a bit 'jerky' probably down to the fact that there is no traction control so you steer and then a little more lock starts it over steering so it snaps direction change a tiny bit all of a sudden, meaning you can't really take a nice smooth line. Found it better if you don't accelerate through corners but you can't get a nice controlled drift easily. Feels a bit "digital" but on the flip-side, it is twitchy and responsive, so you feel more in control than NFS:MW for example.

The up/down suspension (over brows of hills or the bridges) is definitely much better than the original game where it all felt pretty much flat. I'd like to see a slight traction control, that allows some wheel spin but not so sudden. You can currently hear the engine revs top out instantly as soon as you lose grip coz of the all-on throttle.

Controls:
I tried the tilt (with manual brake and accelerate) and the virtual wheel. Tilt is better for me. There's options for auto accelerate and just digital left/right buttons too but I didn't try them. I turned down the default steering assist to 10% (there is a 'sim' option as well which didn't seem too different from 10%), and upped the sensitivity to 50%, and I toned down brake assist to 20% from the default 66% so it's more like ABS than outright braking for you. Those setting feel pretty good and with some getting used to should give good control.

Races:
It's a good structure in that you are led through heats in different cars, up to the final (actually 2 finals for some reason!) and if you win you unlock the next venue. You race against another car but never directly with them because they are on a separated 'loop', so really you are racing against a time bar depicting where you are in comparison.

Graphics:
Pretty amazing really. Runs a dream on iPad 4 in retina with nice detail and lighting. Cars look good and in cockpit view (my preference) looks good with some lovely texture to the dashboard etc. Races are at night with spotlights everywhere so it does look striking in motion. I don't think there is car damage. Unless I was too good at driving, but didn't notice anything from in cockpit or on the replays / cutscenes after race.

Sounds:
Seems pretty convincing to me with each car sounding about right for what they are.

Overall:
Certainly fills a gap for more realistic driving until RR3 gets to the grid. Main wish is that the steering was more fluid so you could control a gradual oversteer on the way out of corners.

I think it's worth it though overall, if you want something a bit more "serious". I wasn't expecting a sim, so it's OK, but would just love it more if there was a bit more subtlety to the driving model.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Okay, so looks like we are shelling down another US$4.99 on the improved version -- now let me think...

Questions:

Does the damage on your vehicle have any effect on car performance or it is just cosmetic?

Is there any RD support (the new iPad+ and iPhone4+)?

Can the vehicle under/oversteer and spin?

Thanks for all who toftt.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Controls:
I tried the tilt (with manual brake and accelerate) and the virtual wheel. Tilt is better for me. There's options for auto accelerate and just digital left/right buttons too but I didn't try them. I turned down the default steering assist to 10% (there is a 'sim' option as well which didn't seem too different from 10%), and upped the sensitivity to 50%, and I toned down brake assist to 20% from the default 66% so it's more like ABS than outright braking for you. Those setting feel pretty good and with some getting used to should give good control.
Why not turn everything down to 0% assist? That's what I'd do.

PS: It's great they have a cockpit view!!

PSS: Overall, how much better is this than the original? In every way? (I kinda liked the original).
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Since we are all fans of racing games here I would like to ask a question. Would anyone be interested in a rally racing game on the iPhone? There are a few already but none are all that good. I would like to get people to go onto the Real Racing Facebook page and request that they consider developing a rally game that they could simply call Real Rally. I also think that Invictus, the developers of Race Of Champions could also make a good rally game. Maybe the two developers could team up to create an amazing rally game! Spread the word!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Okay, so looks like we are shelling down another US$4.99 on the improved version -- now let me think...

Questions:

Does the damage on your vehicle have any effect on car performance or it is just cosmetic?

Is there any RD support (the new iPad+ and iPhone4+)?

Can the vehicle under/oversteer and spin?

Thanks for all who toftt.
I can't see ANY damage - the only thing that happens is some weird particles fly off the car but the actual car shape won't change. Definitely no different to performance either. I just spent ages trying to spin it to answer your other question, so I hit the barrier a LOT, no damage.

That leads on to can you spin... that would be a "no". You can get out of shape, and drive the other way, but it won't spin. Probably a good thing with the lack of traction control (could see that being annoying) but honestly the tracks aren't wide enough to spin anyway.

It does oversteer somewhat but not convincingly. Understeer is more likely but it's fairly 'grippy' overall.

On closer inspection, the GUI is not actually retina, but the 3D is super sharp so I dunno. Looks good whatever so that's fine.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Why not turn everything down to 0% assist? That's what I'd do.

PS: It's great they have a cockpit view!!

PSS: Overall, how much better is this than the original? In every way? (I kinda liked the original).
Will try zero assists now

And yeah better in every way for sure so go for it and we can compare notes on 'no assist' mode
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSport70 View Post
Since we are all fans of racing games here I would like to ask a question. Would anyone be interested in a rally racing game on the iPhone? There are a few already but none are all that good. I would like to get people to go onto the Real Racing Facebook page and request that they consider developing a rally game that they could simply call Real Rally. I also think that Invictus, the developers of Race Of Champions could also make a good rally game. Maybe the two developers could team up to create an amazing rally game! Spread the word!
Hehe, we plan on making a rally game next year so I'd rather make my own
Anyway I'm sure Firemint will be on that next, they must have thought of it surely?!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM

This is from TA front page:

"Real cars, real tracks, car damage, and a wide swath of supported devices in a racing game? What's the catch?"

Misled? I dunno.

I do not expect to see GPL any time on iOS soon (that is only the starting line, my friend) but let's see what RR3 has to offer (along with this)

P.S. Or may be I should put this down for the moment and look at Endless Road instead... :P