★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How Easy Is It To Split Testing Icons?

11-23-2012, 05:33 AM
#1
How Easy Is It To Split Testing Icons?

Hey everyone. I'm a new app developer and will submit my first app to Apple soon.

My question is: How easy is it to test out different app icons? Do I have to resubmit my app and go through the approval process again? Or can I change icons relatively quickly?
11-23-2012, 05:48 AM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMiller View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a new app developer and will submit my first app to Apple soon.

My question is: How easy is it to test out different app icons? Do I have to resubmit my app and go through the approval process again? Or can I change icons relatively quickly?
Yes, everytime you want to change the app icon, you have to update your app binary and submit it to Apple for approval.

Tiltagon is out now on App Store > https://itunes.apple.com/app/id975884085
Follow me on Twitter @JyriKilpelainen!

11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
#3
Damn. Not as easy as I thought it'd be. Thanks for the tip.
11-23-2012, 05:55 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMiller View Post
Damn. Not as easy as I thought it'd be. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, it's not. Also remember to check that the icon in your binary is the same as the one you add to iTunes Connect.

Good luck with your release!

Tiltagon is out now on App Store > https://itunes.apple.com/app/id975884085
Follow me on Twitter @JyriKilpelainen!
11-23-2012, 08:43 AM
#5
By the time your app is on the App Store, you should already have decided.

We go through a dozen icons (or more) during beta testing, its easiest (and best) to do then if you can get a beta testers not directly involved with you/your game.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
11-23-2012, 09:01 AM
#6
You can do several facebook ad with each of them an icon version.
Use the one people click most.
11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
You can do several facebook ad with each of them an icon version.
Use the one people click most.
There's that too, but then you have to plan where the ad takes them.

Personally I'm not comfortable reaching out to 'the world' with something I'm not quite ready to share (in this case, an icon that I'm not sure about).

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!