Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Guide The Light - out now [AppyNation]

Description
★ LAUNCH SALE! 66% OFF for a limited time! ★

Modojo - "A devilish, delicious collection of highly imaginative puzzles that will delight as much as they challenge you." 4.5/5

GameTrailers.com- "Guide The Light manages to take a simple, core concept and extrapolate it into endless, imaginative level design better than just about any mobile game we've played in 2012." App of the Day

Guide our intrepid hero through deadly mazes to find fame, fortune and glory!

Captain Blake, the famous explorer, has discovered a lost pyramid filled with treasures of unimaginable value.

The route through the pyramid is blocked by stone doors that stand between Blake and the treasure, opening only if beams of light fall on their receptor crystals. Help Captain Blake reach the heart of the pyramid by using mirrors and crystals to Guide the Light!

Every chamber contains a unique puzzle and you'll have to learn new skills to get through in one piece. Sometimes you'll need to split and combine light colours, bounce light around mazes and even work against the clock to escape the pyramid's fiendish traps.

If at any time you get really stuck on a puzzle, you can always consult Captain Blake's Vision Crystal to glimpse the solution. But use it wisely - the crystal takes time to recharge after each use.

If you're looking for a puzzle game that's quick and easy to learn and which will really test your wits, play Guide the Light today!

Featuring:

✔ Two giant pyramids with 50 levels to explore!
✔ Giant spiders and fiendish traps!
✔ Unique 'Vision Crystal' hint system!
✔ Game Center Achievements!
✔ Easy controls so the whole family can play!
✔ Hours and hours of light-bending puzzling fun!

Guide the Light is developed by Phasic Labs and published by AppyNation - be sure to check out our other great games!

FOLLOW US: http://www.twitter.com/AppyNation
LIKE US: http://www.facebook.com/AppyNation
VISIT US: http://www.appynation.com/
WATCH US: http://www.youtube.com/appynation

UPDATE:

Great news, we got another brilliant review in!

God is a Geek – 8/10

“pure gold”

&

“Guide the Light is, without a doubt, some of the most fun I’ve had while reviewing a game for Mobile Monday”

Last edited by AppyNation; 04-03-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM

We'd love to hear what you guys think about our new game
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM

We've updated it with a few bug fixes, plus a few tweaks to the difficulty curve. It was rather unforgiving on a few early levels (not any more!), plus now some of the time-limited levels are a bit less tight with the old minutes and seconds!

Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Ah, so this is the reason the other thread was closed. Well I downloaded the game, and I was really enjoying it. Very satisfying, and some interesting puzzle mechanics. Definitely takes a different train of thought than Quell: Reflect Great job on the game.

But it has started to lose its fun factor, with the addition of the enemies and traps. Honestly, the enemies coming out of the walls sounds like it could be an interesting idea, but in no scenario do I like that idea. It adds unnecessary pressure on the player, and in a game that requires this kind of thinking, I believe it is rather rude to add pressure and time limits to it.

The booby traps I can deal with as they are. I have gotten extremely frustrated by moving a piece too far and it triggering a trap, countless times... but I can still deal with them as they are I guess.

Placing a move limit was also an interesting idea, and probably the only one I can agree with the inclusion of 100%. The problem is that I wish the trap stones wouldn't come down for every space you move a piece. I wish they would come down once a move. Like if I move a piece three spaces, only one stone should come down, not three.

I just got introduced to spikes. Seriously annoying me with these additions for what adds up to, essentially, artificial difficulty. The spikes are the worst additions, too.

However, even worse than that, is when you mix all of these elements together. At the way the game is gradually introducing and mixing things, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be levels later on that require me to focus on not triggering traps, keeping my moves minimal, being timed with the spikes, and oh yeah, don't activate the wrong gem input or the bugs will get you!

Stupid. Just stupid. I will never understand why perfectly good puzzle games add in enemies and hazards. Hazards I guess I am okay with. It makes you think a little differently, but it doesn't force me to pressure myself to complete the mission.

It's truly unfortunate. This usually happens, though, so I shouldn't be surprised. A super great game, great puzzles, interesting concepts... and then they throw in enemies. The only time this hasn't pissed me off completely was with Portal. I think because Portal used enemies and time constraints very conservatively. It's not like they added one enemy in mission 5, 3 in mission 6, etc. It was erratic... a couple enemies here and there, and you were also able to defeat them! So they weren't all that much of a bother. And the time constraints, aside from the boss, didn't matter too much because if you failed, you could just start the task again.

I couldn't name all the puzzle games I was enjoying that got completely ruined by the inclusion of enemies. But I can say Roogoo and Braid come to mind immediately. Amazing concepts squandered by the unnecessary inclusion of enemies.

I wouldn't worry about my opinion if I were you, though. I am probably in the minority. I never hear other people get angry with enemies being introduced. I don't know what about that concept rubs me the wrong way, but I despise it. One of my biggest gaming pet peeves. When I'm playing a game where I need to think, I don't want to be pressured to do so. I want to go at my own pace and not be forced to think on my feet because of incoming baddies or spikes.

I'm really sorry for ranting like this, but I wanted my voice to be heard. I know it goes against your vision of the game to take out all the obstacles, and I will admit it can be pretty satisfying when I complete a level without pissing any traps or bugs off... but please, for the love of all that is fluffy, in your next puzzle game, don't add enemies and time constraints. Or if you do, make an "I'm a dummy" mode for people like me, that removes all the enemies so we can play at our own pace, consistently.

Very good game other than this glaring personal vendetta.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Hey man, thanks for the tons of feedback

We totally get where you're coming from. Some people really hate the extra pressure, some people really like the twist it forces them to make in their heads while figuring out the new levels.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the wall blocks, but the spiders don't worry me at all

We updated the game recently, to make a lot of the time-based levels a bit more lenient, so please do update the game and persevere... then come back and let us have it again with your feedback!

Seriously though, we're not offended at all as you suggested we might be in your pm, we love to hear what you think and all the feedback is considered when we update the games in our care.

We're also about to start doing video guides to the levels, so keep an eye out for that
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 AM

We've started a series of Guide The Light video guides, right here... so if you're getting stuck, or fancy a look behind the scenes (we drop a few tidbits of development info etc) then why not take a look?

Let us know what you think!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Does this game support retina on iPad?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Does this game support retina on iPad?
It sure does!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM

We're looking at the possibility of doing an update to the game... what kind of stuff would you all like to see?

Obviously the introduction of spikes and other time limit methods in the later levels have divided opinion, but in terms of new stuff, what is it you'd like?

More levels?
Harder levels?
Easier levels?
New traps?
New light-based mechanics?

Let me know
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

This type of game has been done before, but this one oozes polish. Fun puzzler.