Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalB33R View Post
First, you need to improve your grammar because its a little bit hard to understand.

There are some MOBA games like Awesomenauts, DC Universe Online, etc. for consoles. Most of these types of games are on PC though like League of Legends and DOTA (which have console quality).

To me, the controls in HOC are just ok, its way easier to use a mouse and keyboard. It needs to take advantage of multitouch gestures and even then, its still kinda hard to play.

Secondly, Oh wow...IGN rated the game good so it must be good. No you can't play GBWG on consoles or pc but you can play better RTS games on them like Halo Wars or C&C.

What do you mean no device is perfect for "deep games"? Consoles and PC both are great for games like Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Dishonored, etc. What is the other alternative to consoles and PCs? They were build for gaming.

Also you last comparison makes no sense whatsoever.
And you can play MUCH deeper TBS games on a PC.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
horn
TDKR
Dead Trigger
Wild blood
Shadowgun deadzone
LILI
NFSMW
Real Boxing
GOF II HD
Bladeslinger (not used to its control though)
machinarium
rock(s)rider
virtua tennis challenge
Nova 3(not 1, not 2)
MC3(not MC1)
dead space
Let's go through that list again, shall we?

horn - Just no. Put it side by side with Skyrim and tell me if you still think it's console quality
TDKR - How is it compared to Arkham City? Arkham Asylum? Yes, not verry well.
Dead Trigger - It's like Call of Duty Zombies, but less fun and with less personality. And Call of Duty zombies isn't even a full console game.
Wild blood - I don't know much about that genre of games on both iOS or Consoles/PC, so let's skip that one
Shadowgun deadzone - Haven't played it, but being a basic shooter with basic rpg (leveling up) elements doesn't make a game console quality
LILI - YOU CAN PICK FLOWERS OFF MONSTERS HEADS! TAKE THAT, HALO, ASSSASSINS CREED, AND ALL YOU OTHER GAMES!
NFSMW - Compare it to the REAL NFS MW. The mobile version is not console quality.
Real Boxing - Never heard of it, couldn't care less about boxing.
GOF II HD - A game in a genre that (unfortunately) doesn't have many games, so it's hard to compare. GOF II HD was undoubtedly a great iOS game at the time, but it still feels rather basic and repetetive.
Bladeslinger (not used to its control though) - Haven't played it. Doesn't look verry interesting.
machinarium - Haven't played it, but this type of game would be/is a downloadable game, so yeah.
rock(s)rider - Never heard of it.
virtua tennis challenge - Haven't ever played it. I doubt it's as good as the latest Virtual Tennis game on a console (which I haven't ever played either).
Nova 3(not 1, not 2) - Is it anywhere near as good as say Halo 4? I doubt it.
MC3(not MC1) - The MC series is probably a good example for how close to console quality iOS games will get. Still, doesn't quite reach that level. (Worse singleplayer, multiplayer missing some things)
dead space - Compare it to Dead Space. The original Dead Space is way better.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
Let's go through that list again, shall we?

horn - Just no. Put it side by side with Skyrim and tell me if you still think it's console quality
TDKR - How is it compared to Arkham City? Arkham Asylum? Yes, not verry well.
Dead Trigger - It's like Call of Duty Zombies, but less fun and with less personality. And Call of Duty zombies isn't even a full console game.
Wild blood - I don't know much about that genre of games on both iOS or Consoles/PC, so let's skip that one
Shadowgun deadzone - Haven't played it, but being a basic shooter with basic rpg (leveling up) elements doesn't make a game console quality
LILI - YOU CAN PICK FLOWERS OFF MONSTERS HEADS! TAKE THAT, HALO, ASSSASSINS CREED, AND ALL YOU OTHER GAMES!
NFSMW - Compare it to the REAL NFS MW. The mobile version is not console quality.
Real Boxing - Never heard of it, couldn't care less about boxing.
GOF II HD - A game in a genre that (unfortunately) doesn't have many games, so it's hard to compare. GOF II HD was undoubtedly a great iOS game at the time, but it still feels rather basic and repetetive.
Bladeslinger (not used to its control though) - Haven't played it. Doesn't look verry interesting.
machinarium - Haven't played it, but this type of game would be/is a downloadable game, so yeah.
rock(s)rider - Never heard of it.
virtua tennis challenge - Haven't ever played it. I doubt it's as good as the latest Virtual Tennis game on a console (which I haven't ever played either).
Nova 3(not 1, not 2) - Is it anywhere near as good as say Halo 4? I doubt it.
MC3(not MC1) - The MC series is probably a good example for how close to console quality iOS games will get. Still, doesn't quite reach that level. (Worse singleplayer, multiplayer missing some things)
dead space - Compare it to Dead Space. The original Dead Space is way better.
Funny that you have to compare them to consider their "potential" to be console games.

Funnier, you have to compare them with hallmark and premiere titles.

You didnt consider games like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and NeverDead on the 360? Oh and i though even Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City on the PS3 was plain awful and was a shame to the RE library.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Funny that you have to compare them to consider their "potential" to be console games.

Funnier, you have to compare them with hallmark and premiere titles.

You didnt consider games like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and NeverDead on the 360? Oh and i though even Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City on the PS3 was plain awful and was a shame to the RE library.
You didn't consider that I might be a PC gamer.

And if you want to compare iOS games to bad Console games, why not compare the bad iOS games to the bad console games? There are tons of terrible games for both!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidfart View Post
Ok when I created this thread, I should have somewhat define what console-quality should be. I suppose any game with great graphics and provide a full and complet experience without limiting the player/or gameplay.
Yeah many of the arguments seem to be because people have different interpretations of 'console quality'. If we're talking your definition of console quality I would say there are few if any iOS games that manage it. To begin with very few even come close to PS3 or 360 graphics (hell not many even compete with Vita graphics) and most of the better graphic games in my experience seem lacking in content and/or suffer from gimped controls.

Compared to Vita or 3DS it fares a lot better than compared to 360 or PS3 (which perhaps isn't a fair comparison anyway, but is the first one that comes to mind for me when someone says 'console quality'). But even then there aren't a huge number of games that compete in terms of graphics, gameplay and content all in one package.

If we're just talking deep, full featured games, then yes there are quite a few, though many of them are ports and in most cases don't have 'console' standard graphics, so can't really be considered console quality.

All of this is fine though, because the gaming ecosystem on iOS is very different to any other gaming device. There's an enormous selection, everything is instantly available as a download and the prices are generally far lower.

Some of the best games ever made have been ported to iOS as well (the world ends with you, the last express and soon baldur's gate). All of them to my mind are 10/10 games and the fact that they're ports of old games takes nothing away from them. They're not 'console quality' as I would interpret it and they're not exclusives but they're still some of the best games ever.

Plus as has been said there's a lot more to an iPad/Pod/Phone than just gaming.

I consider my iPad to be the best portable console ever- and I say that owning a Vita, DS, Nexus 7 and PSP and having previously owned other handhelds, but availability and pricing of games are a big part of my preference for iPad- so even when comparing to portable consoles I still don't think much of what's on offer is necessarily the same quality.

It certainly doesn't have 360, PS3 or even particularly Vita quality graphics and I still consider the 360, PS3 and especially PC to be better gaming devices. Not just because of their superior graphics, not at all in fact, but just because the average quality of games is a lot higher and despite having a lot less games (in the case of PS3 and 360 anyway) they also have a lot more essential ones.

But those games cost a lot more too, and you can't play them on the train, so whatever.

TLDR: iPad/Pod/Phone do not provide console quality experiences, whatever that means, but that's okay.

Last edited by Stranded87; 11-26-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^Yeah... it's how each one interprets the term "console quality."

I for one am just looking at the "potential" of these iOS games if they were recreated (not ported) into consoles.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm genuinely interested to read lists by people who don't own or play consoles, detailing what they think comes close to console quality on iOS. I don't know if any of the people who posted so far fit into that criteria, but I do know a few people who hadn't played a console game in close to ten years, only to get back into them recently and have their minds absolutely shattered by the experience. For some reason I'd always sort of assumed that even people who don't play consoles -basically- know what the games are like, but it seems a lot of them actually have no idea.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I have Airserver. Mirrors my screen to laptop which I connect to TV via HDMI. Only a tenner and works a treat. This helps to make iOS devices more console like.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface View Post
I have Airserver. Mirrors my screen to laptop which I connect to TV via HDMI. Only a tenner and works a treat. This helps to make iOS devices more console like.
But the games you're playing still won't really be console quality.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded87 View Post
I consider my iPad to be the best portable console ever- and I say that owning a Vita, DS, Nexus 7 and PSP and having previously owned other handhelds, but availability and pricing of games are a big part of my preference for iPad- so even when comparing to portable consoles I still don't think much of what's on offer is necessarily the same quality.

But those games cost a lot more too, and you can't play them on the train, so whatever.

TLDR: iPad/Pod/Phone do not provide console quality experiences, whatever that means, but that's okay.
Yeah, I agree with your post, especially the comments above. It is much fairer to compare the ipad 4 against a vita than console games now mostly due to disk space issues and overall lack of console game titles.

But I too think that the ipad 4 is the best portable gaming system out there due to vast selection of games and cheaper prices.

During sales, you could have gotten Virtua Tennis for a buck, Nova 3 a buck, and Asphalt 7 for free. Games like this would cost close to $40 on the vita and $60 on the ps3. The question you have to ask yourself is, are games worth 50x more than on the ipad? Is the quality 50 times better?

This maybe a shallow arguement, but having a huge library if games is more important to me than a couple of great ones. To have 6000 ios games, it is close in price to only 5 games plus the price difference in the systems (ie ipad 4 is more expensive than a ps3) warrants adding 5 more games. So pricewise, 10 console games vs 6000 ios games. This is quite a difference.

But it is not fair to really compare the best console games to the ipad. Consoles are made for that. Ipads are more like laptops, in that they serve other services well like the web, camera, ebooks, ipod music, television, news reading, photography editing, and much mich more.

It is far more fair to compare the ipad to portable consoles like the vita in my humble opinion, why compare apples with oranges.

I think ipads will always stay about one generation behind consoles. The ipad 4 compares very favorably to the original xbox and ps2 in terms of high end games. If you take the high end games from the ps3 however, it just does't compete. But in all fairness, it was never designed to compete in this way.