Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Battle Dungeon (by Hunted Cow Studios)

Update 26/Feb/2013: You can read about the return of Battle Dungeon by clicking here...

Last edited by Hunted Cow Studios; 02-26-2013 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Linked to new upcoming thread.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Very interesting. And from the makers of Fallen Sword, at that. But I need confirmation that Battle Dungeon supports asynchronous online play before I buy-purchase that hit-smash button...

(And you can spare me any descriptions of how async is not needed, fellow TAers I simply do not have the time to play online if I can't take the turns at my own leisure, pace and convenience, not even in games commonly touted as too quick for async, such as BattleCon and Hero Mages. Even if whole games only lasted for seconds, simply meeting up online and arranging games, and trying to find time slots where both me and my iOS gaming pals can play at the same time, would be enough of a hassle that async is an asset.

I'm not quite sure how many mobile gamers game under similar circumstances. We might not be legion, but I'm starting to get the feeling that we're numerous enough that no online turn-based game should ever launch without asynchronous support. If properly implemented (only kicks in when a player leaves a real-time match), development time and costs are the only drawbacks, as async mechanics not only draws in the crowd that is too busy to game in real-time online, such as me, but also serves as a very potent disconnect protection for realtime gamers...)

Last edited by Ayjona; 11-28-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

This doesn't look like a turn based game to me, so I doubt very much that there's asynchronous play. It looks more like an MMO along the lines of WoW or Order & Chaos. The notes in the description indicate that an internet connection is necessary to play, so it's likely server based.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
This doesn't look like a turn based game to me, so I doubt very much that there's asynchronous play. It looks more like an MMO along the lines of WoW or Order & Chaos. The notes in the description indicate that an internet connection is necessary to play, so it's likely server based.
App description states so in the first sentence. Watch the video, it is definitely turn based.

+1 request for asynchronous gameplay please. I'm more likely to plug in a minute or two here and there than sit down for an hour at a time.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Bought! Woo hoo! Looks great!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
This doesn't look like a turn based game to me
Foor good measure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by App Description
online turn-based tactical strategy
Seriously, dude, why would I ask for async unless I knew I was discussing a title with some kind of turn-based mechanic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
+1 request for asynchronous gameplay please. I'm more likely to plug in a minute or two here and there than sit down for an hour at a time.
Async really has brought online play to a group of people who could barely find time for multiplay before. Personally, I consider it a small revolution and paradigm shift within online gaming.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Foor good measure:

Seriously, dude, why would I ask for async unless I knew I was discussing a title with some kind of turn-based mechanic?

Async really has brought online play to a group of people who could barely find time for multiplay before. Personally, I consider it a small revolution and paradigm shift within online gaming.
Why not just bring back PBEM? (play by email-for the youngsters here)
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Being a primarily solo gamer, is the AI in this game more than just a trainer for MP action?

Do the game leaderboards count games vs. AI or is that some sort of ELO system for online matches only?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi All,

I'm beelsebob, the lead developer on Battle Dungeon at Hunted Cow Studios. I can confirm that asynchronous play is indeed the primary method of play in Battle Dungeon. You can choose turn time limits of 10 minutes (if you want a quick game), 30 minutes (so that you can bounce back and forth with another player all day) or 25 hours (so that you've got a day, and then time to play your turn). You can play in up to 20 games at one time, so you shouldn't be short of things to do!

You can indeed play the AI in a ranked game (the AI even has its own position in the leader board, and we'll be introducing more AIs that play by different strategies, and seeing how you all fare against them). We do indeed use the ELO system for our rankings.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I'm not quite sure how many mobile gamers game under similar circumstances. We might not be legion, but I'm starting to get the feeling that we're numerous enough that no online turn-based game should ever launch without asynchronous support. If properly implemented (only kicks in when a player leaves a real-time match), development time and costs are the only drawbacks, as async mechanics not only draws in the crowd that is too busy to game in real-time online, such as me, but also serves as a very potent disconnect protection for realtime gamers...)
I fit that description exactly, which is why my money has gone to Hero Academy, Summoner Wars, Ascension etc. Kills me that Spectromancer and Magic 2013 have neglected asynch! Either way, asynch is pretty much Instabuy for me!