Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Since you like the Dan Bown style - you may be interested in Ken Follett - he is famous for Eye of the Needle, but his Pillars of Earth is a great book - although it it is a lot about how cathedrals were constructed (of all things). Michael Crichton may also be of interest, although the only one I really liked of his was Andromeda Strain. A lot of people poo-poo Ayn Rand - and Atlus Shrugged has about 200 pages of a speech that I skipped (she has a habit of feeling the need to pound the ideas into your brain) - The Fountainhead though is much quicker, and gives a good idea of her philosophies.
A great series of history books are the ones by Will and Ariel Durant - The History of Civilization - huge volumes - but exceedingly well written.
Diary of Anne Frank I am assuming you've read. not so much Holocaust, but some interesting books are by Chaim Potok - The Chosen, and My Name is Asher Lev. Also, The Haj, by Leon Uris I enjoyed quite a lot. I love reading, and your first list has inspired me to check some of those out.
Any book alleged to be written Dan Brown style I'm going of have to check out.

The Chosen is an excellent book. I want to read through Potok's other ones, but I have no clue where I'll get the time Diary of Anne Frank I've already read; I'm going to go though Eli Wiesel's Night once I find the time.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Any book alleged to be written Dan Brown style I'm going of have to check out.

The Chosen is an excellent book. I want to read through Potok's other ones, but I have no clue where I'll get the time Diary of Anne Frank I've already read; I'm going to go though Eli Wiesel's Night once I find the time.
The style is not so much the same, but Follett's writing grabs me in the same way as Brown's. I hope you enjoy him.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Yes, I love to read. My kids think I'm crazy since they don't read anything unless they're going to have a test on it... =oP

Anywho, I love cyberpunk literature. Pretty much anything from William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Warren Ellis, ect... but right now I'm knee deep in 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest' (#3 in the 'Millennium Series') by Stieg Larsson. Pretty hardcore read, though I still prefer ... With The Dragon Tattoo. Getting to know Lisbeth and Blomkvist through the first book was just... fabulously written.

I'm also a pretty big manga/graphic novel fan. =oP
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Yes, I love to read. My kids think I'm crazy since they don't read anything unless they're going to have a test on it... =oP

Anywho, I love cyberpunk literature. Pretty much anything from William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Warren Ellis, ect... but right now I'm knee deep in 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest' (#3 in the 'Millennium Series') by Stieg Larsson. Pretty hardcore read, though I still prefer ... With The Dragon Tattoo. Getting to know Lisbeth and Blomkvist through the first book was just... fabulously written.

I'm also a pretty big manga/graphic novel fan. =oP
Oh yea, I agree. I absolutely loved the Millennium series. I might actually read it again soon :P But as of right now, I haven't read anything in awhile since I've been busy with school and, well, gaming lol. Anyways, I'm in the middle of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series (the books that the HBO show 'Game of Thrones' is based on) and I'm really enjoying them. I've read the first three so far, and I read the prologue of the 4th. That's where I stopped. I'm hoping to start back up soon once my finals are over
Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

You know, I've never read any Stephen King books, although I'd like to. What's a good one to start off with?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
You know, I've never read any Stephen King books, although I'd like to. What's a good one to start off with?
The only one I was able to finish was Cujo. I tried a few others (The Stand, Carrie, The Shining), but I just couldn't get into them.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
His early books - the stand, the shining, Christine, Carrie, Firestarter, Cujo, Pet Semetary are what made him famous. A number of those were made into movies. I enjoyed The Stand, Firestarter, The Shining - but Steven King novels all seem to blend together after awhile. I stopped reading him, because somehow even though the story was different - it felt like I'd already read the book (if that makes sense). I don't know about his later books, but his early books spend time on character development, exposition, world development - they are not like those great spy novels that just keep you on a roller coaster ride. If you not seen the movie I would recommend The Shining - it is well written, and only a couple hundred pages. I think The Stand is better, but it's like 500 pages or something, and might be off-putting if you don't like long novels.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

The first King book I ever read was It. Dedicated my summer between 6th n 7th grades reading (and looking up words so I could understand) it. After that, I was hooked. But if you're more into fantasy type books, The Dark Tower series is PHENOMINAL!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I've been meaning to start Stephen King.

*puts that on his long list of "will read soon" books*
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Cool, thanks for all the suggestions guys, looks like I gotta hit up my local library soon!